Hollow Point Vs. Soft Point

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Good grief at some of these replies. 😐 nobody asked for an ethics lecture or a terminology report. The man just wanted to know about bullets.

My choice of bullet for handgun hunting is a cast swc. If I have to I'll use some form of factory soft point or maybe an xtp if I have one.
Amen!

Deer aren't killed with correct terminology, ft/lbs, or ballistics files and charts. Nor by people who've never taken a deer with a handgun or the calibers listed.

I've taken deer with all of the above chamberings, with a variety of bullets. Similarly hit, there isn't a whole lot of difference. With factory ammo, I always prefer JHPs on short range whitetails. The WWB was mentioned and it's a solid choice, my preference in the 44 mag is the Fed American Eagle 240 jhps.

158s in the 357, 210s in the 41, and 240s in the 44. Hit 'em right, they die.

Contrary to some advice, don't choose the bigger caliber hoping for forgiveness of marginal hits. That's ridiculous. A 357 in the guts and a 44 in the exact same spot will have identical dismal results. Caliber doesn't make up for poor marksmanship.