6.8 SPC vs 6.5 Grendel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been a fan of the 6.8 SPC for several years and use both 16" carbine and 10.5" pistol configurations. It does a good job, is low recoil, and easily suppressed. Right out of the gate, I found my AR's functioned well and were adequately accurate with white box 90 grain bonded soft points(contract over runs[?] from Federal) and these performed great on deer. Son's AR seemed to like the 120 grain Nosler Interbond so he's been using that. It's a controlled expansion bullet that has limited expansion(especially at short barrel velocities).
The Grendel has been a bit more problematic and I sort of gave up due to the erratic function of my AR. Now that I have the Ruger bolt action, things have changed a bit and I feel more confident with the Grendel. I've been using Hornady 123 SST bullets but the only on game performance I'd seen was at such close range that anything would have worked. Yesterday I had the opportunity to give it a better evaluation at more typical hunting range. Large bodied doe @ 150-175 yards downhill almost broadside. Bullet struck a bit lower than expected (I'm not used to shooting a 2400 fps cartridge) striking left lung, top of heart, a bit of right lung, and exiting just above the sternum. Deer ran in a 50' diameter circle and fell. Everything in front of diaphragm was mush. Quite acceptable performance within it's range restrictions.
The evening prior, Granddaughter shot a mature buck of similar body size at 188 yards striking in the sweet spot just at the back of the shoulder. Full penetration and they found the bullet embedded in a tree beyond. Internal damage and blood trail were adequate with significant damage to both lungs and the deer ran less than 50 yards.
This is a bit of 'apples vs oranges' due to bullet construction and design so I dug out some Grendel MSR (bonded bullet) ammo for more testing. We'll see how this compares as we harvest more meat deer later in the season.
I'm still leaning toward the 6.8 but the Grendel is possibly an option since I'm not aware of any bolt action 6.8. One noticeable difference is the Grendel doesn't respond as well to suppressing as the 6.8 but I really don't know the cause.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I finally got my 20" Grendel running good after enlarging the gas port on the barrel and emory cloth clean up the gas block mating surface and shot a buck with it Saturday morning 15 min after I got in my blind. 120gr Nosler ballistic tip factory ammo

I've rechecked zero with Federal MSR bonded/plated 120 grain. No changes necessary which is both surprising and extremely handy. Pending weather, I may go out and see if there's a suicidal doe roaming around before dark.
There's a spot we call 'the deer an hour stand' (so named because I sat in that spot and tagged 3 deer that passed almost exactly 1 hour apart) that hasn't been hunted yet. Wind is going to be right and it's not difficult to access.

After action report: One large doe fell to the 6.5 Grendel. About 100-120 yards broadside but she wouldn't stop and my shot was maybe 3" further back than I wanted. Still in the lungs just not as close behind the shoulder as I like. Full penetration with adequate organ disruption and adequate blood trail. The MSR bullets definitely not as fast or violent expanding as the Hornady SST even at closer range (100-120 yards vs 150-175). Another difference: the Federal ammo responds better to the suppressor than the Hornady.
The downside of this comparison: it appears that the MSR ammo may have gone extinct. A check of 'ammoseek' didn't show any for sale and I only have a few boxes in my stash.

Yes, at present it appears the 6.8 is an AR only choice. Another issue is ARP has changed and is selling out of 6.8 barrels. I think Son bought 3 of the last remaining barrels a couple weeks ago.
We don't shoot a lot of 6.8 ammo so my 1000 round case purchased a few years back will last me a long time. We'll probably be looking to snipe some ammo after hunting seasons end.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Yes, at present it appears the 6.8 is an AR only choice. Another issue is ARP has changed and is selling out of 6.8 barrels. I think Son bought 3 of the last remaining barrels a couple weeks ago.
We don't shoot a lot of 6.8 ammo so my 1000 round case purchased a few years back will last me a long time. We'll probably be looking to snipe some ammo after hunting seasons end.
I ran across a Mini in 6.8 at a show a couple of weeks ago, but the private seller was an ass. He wanted $2800 for it and wouldn't even let me handle it or take any photos. This same guy has had a factory folder Mini14 priced the same with the same restrictions on his table for more than eight months. I don't even slow down at his table any more.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I need to load some 125gr Nosler Partitions for my Grendel. I think with 20" barrel I can get 2500fps muzzle velocity out of that projectile.
Actually I should also try some 100gr partitions too as I should be able to get close to short barrel 243 velocity and that Nosler bullet in a 243 really does good.
I really like the capability of a Grendel. The Ruger American or Howa would be nice but my 20" AR is set up pretty good for less $ out of pocket

My local farm & ranch supply has 6.5 Grendel Hornady Black and SST ammo in stock now. I asked the guy running the counter to move them to a different shelf as they were mixed in with 6.5 Creedmore ammo and someone could accidently screw up a gun if they grabbed the wrong box for a customer.
But sure good to see it in stock
No 6.8 in stock at that store

krw

Blackhawk
I fell down the Grendel Rabbit hole several years ago hard. 20" Lilja bbl'd precision AR upper and 3 diff Howa bolt action rifles. It was just depressing to shoot them over a chrono. And I would be thinking the whole time I could be downloading my 260 and still be smoking these. Sold the Howa's and would love to sell the Lilja bbl'd upper, just aint found the right buyer. IMO, when you step away from an AR platform leave the Grendel and 6.8 there too. Too many far better choices for bolt action rifles than these 2

Both cartridges have appeal for a specific segment of hunting interests. I feel either is easier to shoot than even a .243 and both have far more capability than a .223 making them an excellent choice for beginning shooters/hunters.

dove290119

Bearcat
6.8 is a great hunting round and also does a good job for self defense. It's my go-to for deer.

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_103641.jpg
    IMG_20231226_103641.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 28
"6.8 is a great hunting round and also does a good job for self defense. It's my go-to for deer."
What type/brand of ammo are you using? There's a slim chance I'll EVER run out of the white box bonded bullet ammo I'm using but I'd like to keep up with the options.

dove290119

Bearcat
If you're talking about the Federal 90 gr gold dot ammo that's also what I hunt with. Bought a bunch a few years ago, I only use it for hunting so should last awhile. They make a Federal Fusion with the same bullet, I have a few boxes. It shoots identical in my rifle.

"If you're talking about the Federal 90 gr gold dot ammo that's also what I hunt with."
Yes, to the best of my knowledge. The ammo I'm using is in a plain white box with only the cartridge designation, bullet weight, and what possibly is a Federal NSN. When purchased, the claim was this came from a gov't overrun production(?).
The bullet performance is similar to what one would expect from a bonded construction type bullet.