Hogue overmolded stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David Sinko

Bearcat
Does anybody have any opinions or comments about the Hogue overmolded rifle stocks as used on the 77 Hawkeyes? Are they conductive to good accuracy? How well do they hold up? If they become damaged (cut as opposed to scratched?) how easily are they repaired or touched up? I think I'd rather have a laminated stock, but I see lots of rifles with the Hogue stocks for sale.

Dave Sinko

Canazes9

Bearcat
Generally speaking the texture of the stocks is a love or hate thing. Personally, I dislike the rubber texture. A friend had one on a Remington rifle and it "stuck" to your clothes constantly. It's not actually sticky, but definitely drags on clothing. I also prefer slim stocks for hunting and the shape on the hogue stocks is more of a semi-beavertail/varminter style.

The fit and finish on the models I have seen has been poor - butt pad looks like it was fitted by a 5 yr old, barrel channel is wavy, freefloated barrel wasn't. Durability wise it does seem like a very durable material and should hold up throught a lot of rough use - not sure about repairs.

Accuracy wise, it shouldn't be any better (or worse) than a standard injection molded (plastic) stock as the backbone of the stock is an injection molded plastic. Hogue does offer a model w/ an aluminum bedding block that should be significantly more accurate than the injection molded/pillar bedded model, however you can by an HS Precision fiberglass/aluminum bedding block stock for the same price and the quality of the HS precision stock is orders of magnitude better. As far as I know, none of the stocks offered as "factory" for the Rugers were aluminum bedding block models.

HTH

David

I had a Hogue Overmolded stock on my 77 MK II, 338 Mag. I used this rifle while still hunting and sitting for long periods of time on a stand while Elk hunting. I found it to be great at absorbing recoil and the rifle felt solid and sure in the shooting position. I agree that it does tend to be "snaggy" because of it's rubber texture. This may be an issue if you had to come to the ready in a hurry. I could see where it may hang up on hunting clothes and such. As far as accuracy goes, it was better than the original Walnut for maintaining zero, particularily with big weather changes, rain,etc. I don't own that rifle anymore, but did get an NRA Mini 14, which has that stock. I haven't used it in the field to be able to tell if there is going to be an issue with it or not.

Bottom line, I like them from my experience.

Dave

taco68

Bearcat
I am a big Hogue fan and have approx 15 sets, for pistols and rifles. They are definately not a "pretty" stock. But, for grip and weight, you can't beat them.

tang419

Bearcat
I'm running one on my .338 Win Mag. I love it. Tamed the recoil down, and the fit and finish is great. The recoil pad fits perfectly, and the coating is pretty thick. So it isnt going to scratch like Browning's Duracoat stock.

flcracker64

Bearcat
Any problems with barrel fit on your .338 Win Mag? I have a M77/MkII All-weather in .338 Win Mag and I heard somewhere that the barrel doesn't freefloat in the Hogue OM stock......

How about the camo patterns - who has what and which do they like best?

gunman42782

Hunter
I like mine:
100_1876.jpg

77MK2 30/06 Hogue stock, Timney trigger, ER Shaw heavy stainless barrel, painted black, lapped lugs, glass bedded.

GM Shooter

Bearcat
Installed one on my Mini-30. Was as drop in fit. When it was new it was a bit grabby but not now. Length of pull was perfect and it looks so much better than the factory birch stock. I will be putting on in my 10/22 this winter.

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
the only thing I don't like about the stock on the one that came with my Ruger is that it is not a free float. Sure you can slide a card under the barrel but as soon as the gun is rested on a bi-pod or bench rest, the stock bends and rests on the barrel. I'm thinking of upgrading to the full aluminum skeleton version but I'm not sure. It's a dirt collector too. I got my hands pretty dusty helping out at the range one day and when I packed up the gun, I discovered how hard it is to clean the stock. Otherwise, a terrific stock for absorbing recoil and fits me very well.

DSCN0366.jpg

wwb

Hunter
I can't speak for the M77 Mark II stocks, but the Hogue stocks for the 10/22 are top shelf stuff.