difference in ruger 77 mark II stocks and Hawkeye stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I bought a very nice ruger African Hawkeye stock thinking it would fit my ruger 77 mark II ruger 264 win mag but there is a difference in the floor plate screws .It will fit the Hawkeye 338 win mag with a plastic stock I have though .I always thought the stocks were the same on the mark II and the Hawkeye . It fit perfict up top but was different on the bottom .I wish I could trade this African stick for the laminated stock they made for the Hawkeye my brother has one in 338 it's nice .The plastic stock is too light for the 338 win mag and kicks too much like the old boat paddle stock I tried once .

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
There is no difference between MkII stocks and Hawkeye stocks other than cosmetic differences. For example the Hawkeye has a slimmer forearm vs the MkII. I have swapped many around over the years and never had a problem as long as they had similar barrel profiles.

I have no experience with the African models and have to guess that for some reason the action is a little different or else someone modified your african stock...