High Quality Magazine Found for Ruger American Short Action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clearwater

Bearcat
For all those with the Ruger American Rifle in Short Action who have been bothered by the quality of the stock rotary mags, you will be pleased to know that there is now an alternative.

I have found that the magazine for a Ruger American Predator in .450 Bushmaster has a magazine of a different design that fits and feeds my RAR in .308 flawlessly. The .450 Bushmaster does not use a rotary magazine; but rather a typical single stack design. It holds 3 rounds of .308. I found that I could stuff a 4th round into it, but I could not insert it into the gun with the bolt closed (the cartridges had nowhere to depress).

Additionally, I was very pleased to find that it has a higher quality feel to it. It does not have as much flex to it when pinched, and also has less casting flash garbage that always bothered me about the rotary mag. It is still plastic, but it is build more solidly and has a bunch of glass fiber in the plastic. It reminds me of a Tikka T3 magazine.

The only downsides are that it holds one round less and protrudes from the stock. I do not anticipate the magazine protruding causing any issues when I carry the rifle, but I will report after hunting season has started. I frankly like the way that it looks.

Anyway, I bought mine on eBay for $35. I can only verify that it feeds the .308 RAR, but in looking at the case dimensions, I believe it would also feed .243, 7mm-08, and .22-250.
CAbTUIn.jpg

xjLZQbI.jpg

ZLs74xY.jpg

20lFzRP.jpg

It does look beefier than the standard mag. That being said, I have no problems with the mags in my 223 or 308, plus I prefer flush fitting mag. However should I ever have a problem with my 308 magazines, I would look at the 450 mag as a replacement.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Often times one can trim the bottom follower legs to gain a round in the mag. Worth looking into.