help with powder charge weights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I am looking for some recipes for cast plinkers using bullseye and unique. found one pound of each cheap and will put them to good use. have looked on the website but my options seemed pretty limited. could use them for 45 ACP but with some input maybe for 9mm or .40 cal. any high/low charges and bullet weights you have been happy with please save me some computer time searching.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
EVERY LOADING MANUALS PUBLISHED IN THE PAST EIGHTY[80!!!] YEARS HAS INCLUDED DATA FOR THOSE TWO PROPELLENTS, the two most popular in the history of reloading, and YOU do not have a single manual, but expect to scam data from folks you do NOT even know and who write here under aliases. YEE GADS...
I suppose you only want it from the latest manuals too hey !!??

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
The Alliant website should have data too. I have most manuals, at least 8 or more of the more common ones. It's always a good idea to cross reference several manuals.

When starting out load of few batches with charges within the data range you average out, start on the low end. Once you find a load that shoots well and is reliable in your action, off you go.

I often don't hang at the upper end of the charge weights, only if needed. Most of my shooting is going through a target then into a bank, no need for max loads for that.

5of7

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
EVERY LOADING MANUALS PUBLISHED IN THE PAST EIGHTY[80!!!] YEARS HAS INCLUDED DATA FOR THOSE TWO PROPELLENTS, the two most popular in the history of reloading, and YOU do not have a single manual, but expect to scam data from folks you do NOT even know and who write here under aliases. YEE GADS...

SURE, YOU'VE GOT A HEADACHE..... :lol:

mikld

Blackhawk
No offense, but I think your approach to this handloading thing is pretty questionable. You don't want to take time for a web search? Looking in a manual too much trouble?

I think there are some folks that just should not reload, and not wanting to do any research or use any published manual is an indication of one who should just buy their ammo...

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
I have found through the years that gun people are generally helpful and knowledgeable. this has been the case since my father (DAV WWII) and grandfather (DAV WWI) introduced me to firearms in 1955. it has also been the case that all of us in my area who reload will share info from our experience when asked. if you are unwilling to do so that is fine, I will treat you with equal disdain. I have reloaded since the late seventies, used certain powders that are now somewhat difficult to obtain in my area. therefore I am buying that which I know will work, and looking for data so that I may make good decisions and cut my try this and that time to a minimum. I am currently picking the brain of trusted friends on this issue and am ordering some more manuals. I thought this forum might also be a source for data. I see however you are too ARROGANT AND SOMEWHAT SNOTTY. I hope the rest of the members of this forum at least have manners. if not I will not waste my time. learned how to reload before the internet became a possible source of information and I will certainly be successful here as well. last reloading season (when the Harley goes into the garage for winter) I reloaded some 10,000 rounds for the shelf. .380, 9mm, .40, 38 special, 357 magnum, 44 special and magnum along with 45ACP. that is just one season. my five adult children, their significant others and now my grandchildren all shoot for free because I reload. I have also taught countless friends and friends of my adult children firearms safety and fundamentals over the last forty years. so as you can see my reloads work pretty well, with or without you.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
WESHOOT2 said:
In the 9x19 any 115g over 5.5g Unique; also works in sub-guns.
I thank you sir. will continue to gather data from as many sources as I possibly can so that when I begin this late fall, I can make my decisions. any time I may be of service to you just say the word. I have used primarily Accurate Arms products for over thirty years. they work well for me and up until recently have always been on the shelves of my favorite stores.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
pjvrefugee said:
I have reloaded since the late seventies, used certain powders that are now somewhat difficult to obtain in my area. therefore I am buying that which I know will work, and looking for data so that I may make good decisions and cut my try this and that time to a minimum.

Hi,

Quick suggestion, not just for this poster, but for anyone who's reloaded a while and asks a question:

You may find a more "friendly" reception if you "introduce" yourself some, with a touch of background on your question. A lot of people don't write so well, in person, and definitely on the Internet, so questions that sound just fine to them can seem like rank newbie stuff once they hit a screen.

To tell the truth, I couldn't tell from the OP whether we were dealing with a newbie or what? So let's consider a rewrite of the question, out front, instead of waiting many posts into a thread, as we see in this one:

"I've been loading since the '70s, and have used Brand A products most of that time. But with the recent problems getting powders, I've only been able to come up with some Brand B and Brand C, which are new to me. I know some of you have loaded them for years, so if you've got any pointers to get me back up to speed quickly, and maybe recipes using them for (insert caliber), it would be helpful."

Or something like that. I'm sure anyone with a question like that is in good company considering the market "situations" of the last couple of years!

And then set aside some of the "kinder, gentler" (???) responses you'll get. Some folks like Wil can be good at being irritable, which we've talked with him about, but don't expect much change. I wish I had a tenth of his experience, but in its place I might have ten times his patience, especially with what must have appeared to him to be a newbie question, too! So it's always good to hang around a while and learn both the characters and their characteristics--makes it easier to ignore (or distill?) some of the answers!

Remember, too, that "sharing" reloading info and recipes is not the same thing when you're sitting at the bench or talking at the range with a buddy and working on something new as it is on the Internet. Who knows how many dozens, hundreds or thousands of people read any given post, and we've all seen bad info spread faster on the forums than thru most any other medium we've devised so far! So it shouldn't be too surprising that a lot of folks just don't like "sharing" their recipes, not knowing who's gonna use 'em or how, and suggest straight away to "go to the books."

Some of us have other backgrounds which affect that mentality, too. Mine, for example, comes from a decade plus of running a trap and skeet range, where we were bombarded with questions. My boss had a rule: "Never give anyone a 'recipe.' Grab one of the books, point to an appropriate section, and tell the person 'A lot of people use loads in this section.'" He recognized the way amateurs always seem to "know more than the pros" and how some things grow like fish stories. Old habits die hard, ya know? Especially whenever I remember our glass display case of "mistakes"--many of them the result of someone's own "interpretation" of what would work--which looked like a bunch of twisted and torn metal, some of it with rust spots from the blood... OUCH!

It's not a perfect world, but we can each do a little to make it less imperfect if we don't go getting our knickers in a knot every time an answer on such an impersonal medium as the Internet isn't to our liking!

Rick C

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
no matter my background I expect a reasonable response. if I wish to hear rude and unpleasant I will call my ex wife. grown men act accordingly. I did not ask to fool around with his sister. if there is a problem with what or how I asked for data any response can still be done with dignity.

Johnnu2

Hunter
In my humble opinion, there is no excuse for rude, condescending remarks to any question. Say it with respect and caring or just don't say it. J

mikld

Blackhawk
Sorry, but if you have been reloading since the 70s you should know better than to ask such a basic, Reloading 101 question anonymously. And to get data that's safe to use from a forum, is also questionable thinking. Yep, some responses are really rude (the one in all caps is well known for the lack of decorum, but he's considered a "loveable old curmudgeon" by some and his BS is ignored). But you left yourself open for comments like "get a manual" with your OP. Sounds like you did not want to do any work/research yourself and wanted to be lead by the hand to a load...

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
mikld said:
Sorry, but if you have been reloading since the 70s you should know better than to ask such a basic, Reloading 101 question anonymously. And to get data that's safe to use from a forum, is also questionable thinking. Yep, some responses are really rude (the one in all caps is well known for the lack of decorum, but he's considered a "loveable old curmudgeon" by some and his BS is ignored). But you left yourself open for comments like "get a manual" with your OP. Sounds like you did not want to do any work/research yourself and wanted to be lead by the hand to a load...

seems you did not see my response. if you had you would have understood this was only one place I was seeking answers. the others were mentioned in that response. one mans lovable old curmudgeon is anothers rude nasty arrogant snotty wuss. I have manuals and have since the post acquired more that are applicable to the powders mentioned. I have also asked questions of several reloaders locally who have used these powders. so the bottom line is I have all the data I need. but I was not wasting my time here. some of the forum members responded with decorum and were quite willing to help. one even sent me private messages that were polite and appreciated. I repeat sir, there is no excuse for bad behavior. perhaps some men can only mouth off in places like this because their wives keep them in line every other place.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Were it my pound of Bullseye, it would go to 45 ACP. 4.0 gr under a 200 gr SWC. H&G #68 (or clone) or a Lyman 452460. Just for fun, I shot my Mk IV Gov't without cleaning to see at what point I got enough fouling to cause a problem. It was over 600 rds and the problem was lube fouling.

I've had better accuracy results in 9mm and 40 S&W using other powders (Power Pistol, Titegroup, HS-6), but that's my guns and molds. YMMV.

5of7

Hunter
pjvrefugee said:
I repeat sir, there is no excuse for bad behavior. perhaps some men can only mouth off in places like this because their wives keep them in line every other place.

You got that right.... 8)

mikld

Blackhawk
pjvrefugee said:
mikld said:

seems you did not see my response. if you had you would have understood this was only one place I was seeking answers. the others were mentioned in that response. one mans lovable old curmudgeon is anothers rude nasty arrogant snotty wuss. I have manuals and have since the post acquired more that are applicable to the powders mentioned. I have also asked questions of several reloaders locally who have used these powders. so the bottom line is I have all the data I need. but I was not wasting my time here. some of the forum members responded with decorum and were quite willing to help. one even sent me private messages that were polite and appreciated. I repeat sir, there is no excuse for bad behavior. perhaps some men can only mouth off in places like this because their wives keep them in line every other place.
Yeah, saw your response, and read your family history, but that is no indication of whether you had the initiative to do some research yourself. A forum is the last place I would get reloading data as I've seen way too many questionable answers to the same old "I want a load for my ...." question. I also have friends I trust that reload, but all are human and I'll shoot no one else's reloads and I find my data in one of my reloading manuals.

I would not write anything in a post on a forum I would not say to your face, and your replies seem to be almost as insulting as that old tu*d that rants with every reply...

FWIW and actually, it ain't much; I made my first reloads in 1969 with a Lee Loader (waaay pre web), I now reload on one of my 4 presses for 9 of my 11 centerfire firearms. I cast my own bullets for 8 of my guns and size and lube them too (and even powder coat for 4 ). So my experience with shooting and reloading means nuttin' if I ask an anonymous question about something basic which is found in mebbe 9 of my 9 reloading manuals...

Latest posts