Help me decide an RSI

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WarpathEngineering

Single-Sixer
I'm looking to buy myself a birthday present and have decided on a bolt action RSI preferably in 7x57 if I can find one but I do have a line on 3 in 30-06. One is a M77 tang safety, one is a Mark II and the last one is a Hawkeye all in the same price range and all in new condition, yes even the M77. Since I've only owned Mark II's up till now I need help deciding on which generation RSI to buy. Now's your time to chime in and tell me what you like or dislike about each. Thanks in advance

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Year's ago I had tang safety 06 rsi and it was a shooter well under 1 in at 100 yds
That's the one I would go for,good luck.

Coogs

Maximum
7 x 57 is a great round, I've carried a #1 RSI for Pa whitetail, loved it. I switched a few years ago to a 77 tank safety RSI in '06 and probably won't be going back. My '06 is a shooter also, I'd look hard at that one, JMO, Coogs.

WarpathEngineering

Single-Sixer
The '06 tang safety I found is listed for $1000 with lite handling marks on the buttstock. Photos look good but the wood is nothing to write home about. Since none of these rifles are in current production does anyone find that price high of a new old stock rifle?

WarpathEngineering

Single-Sixer
Coogs said:
7 x 57 is a great round, I've carried a #1 RSI for Pa whitetail, loved it. I switched a few years ago to a 77 tank safety RSI in '06 and probably won't be going back. My '06 is a shooter also, I'd look hard at that one, JMO, Coogs.

I'm lucky enough to own a #1RSI in 7x57 as well and love shooting it. I haven't carried it for whitetail yet since I've been using a Mark II '06. I was tempted this year but am not confident enough yet with the single shot and slow reload.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Give Lee a call at classic sporting arms he may have a better price he is great to deal with.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Also recommend Lee at Classic Sporting arms, check this link for the Lipseys K77RSI series, what you want looks available. Agree, he may have a better price that what you are looking at.

http://www.classicsportingarms.com/rugers-sale/

m657

Buckeye
I recently traded off a fine old tang model RSI 308. Very pleasant shooter. I always liked the tang safety.

Somebody with a NIB GSR 308 wanted it as much as I wanted his Scout. I've never handled any RSI that wasn't 'just right' for my grip.

Any choice you make will be the right one. Unless you get TWO of them. Then THEY'LL be the 'right ones'.

Tnhunter

Bearcat
WarpathEngineering said:
I'm looking to buy myself a birthday present and have decided on a bolt action RSI preferably in 7x57 if I can find one but I do have a line on 3 in 30-06. One is a M77 tang safety, one is a Mark II and the last one is a Hawkeye all in the same price range and all in new condition, yes even the M77. Since I've only owned Mark II's up till now I need help deciding on which generation RSI to buy. Now's your time to chime in and tell me what you like or dislike about each. Thanks in advance

I have a M77 MKII RSI in .308 and really like it. I'd only comment that you might be disappointed with a Hawkeye RSI, if it had matte finish metal. I know I would(do) way prefer gloss blue on such a rifle. I'd also suggest you expand your search to include the .308. I'm not normally bothered by recoil and own a lot of large caliber rifles, but I am glad mine is .308 rather then '06. I have a 7X57 in a #1, a #1A. The old 7X57 is a grand cartridge. :mrgreen:

I will also add that a #1 RSI is a very cool rifle as well. Mine is a .270 and it is one fine handling rifle.

chapped lips

Single-Sixer
Since you're interested in a 7mm, check around for a 7/08 RSI.
LIPSEY's made a walnut s/s run a year or two ago.
I have an older tang-safety blued M77 RSI 7/08 and she is so sweet.

WarpathEngineering

Single-Sixer
It wasn't an RSI but I managed to pick up a tang safety in 7x57 from FlyinFred here on the forum. As for the 7mm-08, I'm sure it's a wonderful round all on it's own but I'm looking for a 7x57 more for nostalgia sake. As for the 30-06 over the 308 or 270, I already reload for 06 but currently am not for the other two and that is why they're not included. I'd still like to get my hands on an RSI M77 in 7x57 to set next to my RSI No 1 in 7x57. Thanks for all the help!

Paul B

Hunter
I have three M77 tang safety RSI rifles in .308. Love em. Would love to find one in 7x57. Just a suggestion. Although it's not a Ruger, the Winchester M70 Featherweight in 7x57 is one hell of a nice rifle. I love mine. Accurate with everything I've run through it from 120 gr. Nosler BTs to 175 gr. Hornady RNs.
Paul B.

danjoe2006

Bearcat
I also had an older '06. What a great rifle it was. Still very mad at myself for trading it off. Did get a nice rifle to replace it. Got a Rem.700. It is the only Remington rifle i've ever seen with a light grey sstock. It also had a target trigger. it's a great shooter but so was my RSI '06. sure wish i still had it. As far as the RSI's offered by Classic Sporting Arms, i have the 250 Savage.

jbtardy

Bearcat
I have a 77MK ll RSI in .308. I like the short action in a short rifle and I think the MK ll action is a improvement
over the tang safety models.

Paul B

Hunter
When one sits down and thinks about it, for most hunting purposes it really makes no difference if one's rifle is a controlled round feed (CRF) or a push feed (PF). :shock: It might be an important issue if the game hunted could have you for breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on the time of day but otherwise why worry about it?
Again, that three position safety is nice and quite worthwhile but under some circumstances is slower than molasses in January. I know we're only discussing a fraction of a second but I have M70s with the three way safties and I have Rugers with the tang safties and when I'm lucky enough to draw the area I prefer hunting I take the Ruger M77 RSI tang safety guns. Some of the country is open enough that it makes no difference but other parts are almost jungle like. Once the first shot is fired opening day the deer head for the thick stuff and go nocturnal so it's "run to the jungle" and try to sort one out.
One other thing. For those who would like to hunt with their #1's, getting a rapid reload ain't all that hard. I'd use one of mine for my elk hunt but the outfitter won't allow it nor will the ranch we hunt one. Outfitter has the hunting rights for the place. I've done three hunts there, taken three elk all one shot kills including one running full out as if the hounds of hell was after it and got all three no problem. One elk was at 350 yards, thankfully standing still looking at me trying to figure out just what I was. 8)
Most of my custom rifles are based on Mauser actions. Of the four on Mausers, the .35 Whelen has an M70 style two position safety.The gun wasn't my build so no control over that. Got it for a good price at an estate sale and it fit me so well and felt so good I didn't even try and talk the price down. :shock: One is built on a commercial FN Mauser and the rest on milsurp Mauser action. The fifth Mauser is on a milsurp as well but it's stocked in a lightweight thumbhole stock and the safety is in the trigger guard like you see on some pump and semi-auto shotguns. That one was an experiment, a 5 pound .308 that is a joy to carry one high altitude hunts but a bear to shoot, not because of recoil but it's very hard to hold steady. I've taken a few deer with it but these days it's a safe queen. :(
Paul B.

jbtardy

Bearcat
Paul I have to agree with you that for most hunting purposes that it really makes no difference if one's rifle
is a controlled round feed or a push round feed, the way most of us hunt here in the good old USA. But... I also
have a great fondness for Mausers and have a bunch of them, commercial and military. So in choosing a rifle to
buy, like the OP asked about rather than using what one already has, I would choose a CRF rifle if buying a new
or used gun. Except... maybe if I opted to buy one of the cheap new models like the Ruger American. I've thought
about buying one of the compacts but I don't know. Never handled one yet.

Paul B

Hunter
If you're looking for a Mauser to build on, look for a J.C. Higgins M50. Yeah I know a cheap Sears & Roebuck gun. Thing was it cost more than the vaunted pre-64 M70 and kind of wasn't as pretty. Came in 30-06 and .270. I buy them every time I find one if the price is right. I have at last count five. One was free from a friend and the other four were $400 or less. If you're old enough to remember the Browning Mausers by FN, those Sears guns were also made by FN. The actions were by FN, the barrels by and installed by High Standard and the stocks by either Fajen or Bishop. At the time they were priced about $20 higher than the M70 IIRC. The stocks were plain and rather clubby but one could with a bit of elbow grease slim one down into a rather nice classic style.
The free one was given to me by a friend who later passed from cancer. The one and only .270 was restocked in a European style and rebarreled to 7x57 Mauser. The others I have are awaiting funds to make them into nice customs, well at least two. One is so original stock and minty I've decided to keep it as is. I think they're great for custom builds. A lot of the expensive labor done to civilize a milsurp action does not need to be done one the Higgins. 8) Do replace the trigger. That's really the only Mickey Mouse thing they did. I just replace them with a Timney and forget about it. :lol:
Paul B.

jbtardy

Bearcat
Well Paul I'm old enough, 69 next month, to remember lots of nice guns from the past. I have a Browning Safari
grade 30-06 with the Mauser action and a 30-06 FN sporter from the 50s that is sometimes refered to as a pre
Browning. It has a Timney trigger installed by a previous owner. The JC Higgins 50 used to be a sleeper but now
they bring good prices on the auction sites. I have a similar rifle that I didn't know existed until I saw it by
responding to a newspaper ad. It is like a Higgins 50 and has 50 stamped in small numbers on the side of the
action but the Barrel is marked Westernfield. I didn't know Monkey Wards carried a version of the FN mod 50.
It's nicer than the Higgins with a dark Walnut checkered stock similar to my pre 64 mod 70 Featherweight and
has the side safety and adjustable trigger of the Supreme action. I've got a bunch of militarys also but can't
see spending big bucks to build a custom rifle on one. I envy you, five Higgins 50s and one FREE from a friend.
Your friends must be some nice folks. There's just something about that 98 action, always room for one more.