Help! Mark III Hunter Barrell destroyed...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
Keep in mind that some custom barrels are hand lapped with an abrasive coated lead slug on a rod.
True, and there are abrasive "lapping" .22 bullets available, but these things are very different from common .22LR ammo.

It's the nature of 22 ammo to pick up any foreign material and carry it down the bore-just like a lead lap.
If you store your .22 ammo loose on the floor of your car, or let your woman carry it loose in the bottom of her purse for a few months, that might be a problem. If you keep it in its factory box, or in a dedicated ammo carrier (such as a belt pouch) until just before you load and shoot it, it's not going to pick up very much "foreign material" at all. :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
I've seen(and have one I'm still using) several 22 rifle barrels with very little rifling left and it didn't take 250K to wear them out.
I've seen and owned several older (pre-WWII) .22 rifles that at first glance seemed to have nearly washed-out rifling. But a good cleaning with a new USGI M16 bore brush showed that the grooves were still plenty deep in there--they were just nearly filled in with decades of lead, copper, powder residue, and who-knows-what until they had almost disappeared. :wink:

docwong

Bearcat
Hey, thanks Bullseye for the tips, very helpful!

I'm just so glad I have by barrel back!

Pal Val

Buckeye
+1 for the folks warning against using corrosive chemicals to clean gun bores. It will save you some hard work, but it will also risk damaging the steel. I've cleaned severe leading from guns with brass brushes and penetrating oil. Rule of thumb: "First, do no harm."

markasaurus

Bearcat
I have been hearing over and over again about the "CHORE BOY" pads. I had to get mine from Amazon, yet, you can't find them in stores around here!
Note that regular "copper plated" cleaning pads from the store are NO GO. As the box says, if you read closely, they are copper PLATED and that's it - they're steel wool underneath. So you would not wnat to use those only "Chore Boy".

Arky

Single-Sixer
Hummm! My single six shoots Thunderbolts better than any other ammo I have tried. I am down to my last box. The only Remington ammo I have trouble with is the "golden" bullet.
The problem is that we can no longer be picky about ammo. You have to buy what you can find. I found some Federal Champions a while back and my CZ loves those.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Bullseye57 said:
When you shoot inexpensive Remington .22 ammo this is the risk you take with your Ruger .22 auto. These bullets are poorly made and prone to heavily leading your Ruger Mark's pistol barrel......Stay away from using any more Remington .22 in your pistol.
BS. You're one of a handful that found that your gun does not like them. Judging by the tens upon tens of thousands that I've used in just the last thirty years, a problem such as this is statistically insignificant. Before the shortage, I was burning up 2000-3000rds of Remington bulk a month through a variety of guns (two dozen) and I have NEVER had it lead. The only leading I've ever experienced was with Federal bulk in one gun but it eventually went away. So no, it's not "prone" to anything but working just fine.