Help choosing new revolver...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
OK, I know this is the *Ruger* forum, so I'm pretty sure what to expect as far as recommendations go. But, I'd still like to ask for opinions and experiences anybody might have or have had regarding the following two revolvers, one of which will be my next purchase...

1) Ruger LCR in .38spl. A nice, small, polymer-framed gun that sits well in a pocket and is made for ease of concealment.

2) Smith and Wesson 642 Centennial Airweight. Also a nice, small revolver, but made of lightweight metal, that sits well in an IWB and is made for ease of concealment and draw.

I've held both revolvers and I like the ergonomics of both of them. The LCR feels a little smaller in my hand; the S&W - by comparison - sits a little better in my grip and seems like it would be very comfortable to shoot. However, I haven't shot either one, so I don't really know what the recoil and handling characteristics are.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the S&W (this is the model without the internal lock). It seems to fit me better than the Ruger. But, the Ruger seems a little more solid, even though it's made of plastic. I can't really explain this, it's just my perception.

So, what do you all think? Ruger or S&W? They cost about the same, so it's really a Sophie's choice of sorts. (Oh, and the S&W is in a brushed aluminum finish, as opposed to the Ruger's blued/black. So, it's a bit more attractive, at least in my eyes.)

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

5of7

Hunter
Go for the one that you feel the most comfortable with.

I have a S&W 442, which is fine, but if they had been making the LCR when I bought it, I would have bought the LCR in .357, only because the 357 has a steel cylinder frame. 8)

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Take the S&W I am a ruger fan and collector of single actions and I don't like plastic guns no matter what kind of fancy name they have for their plastic.
Maybe Ruger will get the message some day and stop making plastic guns?

But when in dout buy both, you got two hands right? so buy two guns.

chris_

Blackhawk
The Ruger handles the recoil better. I have both, I would rather shoot 357 out of my LCR than 38 out of my 442.

You will find that shooting the S&W, being so light, hurts your hands after a few shots. The LCR on the other hand, being made of polymer, with the tamer grips, will be far more pleasant to shoot. The polymer frame absorbs much of the recoil along with the tamer grips. Ask my wife..she had shot both guns listed (I own 'em!). She will shoot the LCR all day long without any troubles, but the Smith she will put down after only a few shots..hurts her hands. And I have used various grips on the Smith and she still does not like it. The LCR is a shoot all day gun..JMHO

flatgate

Hawkeye
Mrs. Flatgate has the LCR and will hardly even let me shoot it when we're out "plinking"............. she LIKES it!

flatgate

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Like others have said I would go with the one that is the most comfortable in your hand. I don't like shooting 357s in snubbies so my little S&W model 36 or the chiefs special works for me. There are good SD rounds for the 38 special and most people will be more accurate shooting a 38 special instead of a 357 magnum in a snubbie.
Regards,
Howard

E

Single-Sixer
Had a 442 and sold it after picking up an LCR. The LCR is better on recoil, the sights are more visible, and the trigger is far lighter and smoother than the 442's trigger.

I did however like the 442 better for pocket carry even with a longer factory grip that I could get three fingers on -- the LCR grip is bigger and "tackier" in texture in a way that makes drawing it smoothly from a pocket difficult.

Elmer

Bearcat
You should try shooting them before you pick one if at all possible. If you know anyone who has one you are interested in, maybe they'll let you shoot it. Also, there is an indoor range near where I live that rents a wide variety of guns. Something like that in your area maybe?

Scotty

Bearcat
I've shot both and own a LCR. Honestly, you can't go wrong either way. Buy the one that feels best to you.

GKC

Blackhawk
Interesting question, as I am mulling the same purchase myself. I have owned both revolvers in the past, but traded them in on something I felt I had to have at the moment. Now, I am looking for a small revolver to carry in the car.

Both are good...I like the trigger on the LCR much better, but the grip feels somewhat awkward to me. I didn't like the grip on the 642 at all...too small. However, I read the other day that you can buy a full J frame grip and it makes it much more comfortable to shoot...the bigger J frame grip is available on the S&W web site. Granted, it makes it harder to conceal in a pocket, but then I'm looking for a gun to keep in the console when I am in the car. SO, since I can't put a bigger grip on the LCR, I'm leaning toward the 642. In addition, my LGS has them right now for $342, the models without locks. I know the 642 isn't a .357, but that's ok.

E

Single-Sixer
GKC,

The bigger J-frame grip from S&W is probably the most comfortable grip on a snubnose I've ever had. I can get a pretty good grip with the LCR(better than the short, standard J-frame grip on the 442), but I wouldn't complain even once if that S&W grip somehow could go on the LCR. It didn't work well for front pocket carry for me, but for sticking a concealed hammer J-frame into a back jeans pocket, that longer grip made once smooth draw.

IMO, shoot both if you can........then whichever choice you make, keep in mind that you will have to shoot it a lot to become proficient with the snubbie. They are hard to shoot well. With that in mind, an aid to shooting one well is to get a set of laser grips. They are a tremendous aid in learning to control one of these little critters........good luck and great shooting!

Dave

Lance0812

Bearcat
+10 on the laser grips.
Also, check out the trigger pull on the S&W and the LCR. My understanding is that the LCR has a much lighter DA pull.

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
Heliman said:
IMO, shoot both if you can........then whichever choice you make, keep in mind that you will have to shoot it a lot to become proficient with the snubbie. They are hard to shoot well. With that in mind, an aid to shooting one well is to get a set of laser grips. They are a tremendous aid in learning to control one of these little critters........good luck and great shooting!

Dave

I already have a Colt Cobra and a Taurus M85 Ultra-Lite (actually, I'm kinda looking at this purchase as an upgrade from the Taurus, if you know what I mean), so it's not like I'd be learning to shoot a small revolver. I guess I just like snubbies!

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
Elmer said:
You should try shooting them before you pick one if at all possible. If you know anyone who has one you are interested in, maybe they'll let you shoot it. Also, there is an indoor range near where I live that rents a wide variety of guns. Something like that in your area maybe?

I live in NJ -- Renting or loaning guns at the range is illegal here, just like just about everything else that has to do with firearms... :(

I too, have had and do have snubbies. I was just saying that most people with no experience with them need to practice more than they would with a standard sized revolver to become proficient.

I myself, prefer the Smith J-frame to the LCR. I think they are a little easier to carry concealed and fit me much better than the LCR.

And, IMO the LCR is just ugly..... :wink:

Dave