Happened into our first Ruger Number 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Springer2

Bearcat
I always liked single shot rifles but through the years with Ruger #1s it was either not the right gun or not the right time. Now we got a chance to get one in 218 Bee. It did not look like it ever had rings on it and was still in the box. However over the years the rings got separated so that was the first order of business to find a set. Rounded up some ammo and got a set of dies as well. I had a 22 K-Hornet and the Bee looks similar in capacity. Accuracy was pretty good but the trigger has to be around 6+ pounds. I kept thinking the safe was still on when I first shot it. Neat little rifle and look forward to getting more time with it.

53064591414_844aa2a5b8_z.jpg

Springer2

Bearcat
If you rounded up some .218 Bee ammo you're pretty lucky or resourceful. I haven't seen any in several years. 😎
I got 125 rounds at a local gun show for a good price. I then found an online vendor accepting orders for Winchester brass. Don't know when it may be delivered but I ordered 200 cases there as well.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I always liked single shot rifles but through the years with Ruger #1s it was either not the right gun or not the right time. Now we got a chance to get one in 218 Bee. It did not look like it ever had rings on it and was still in the box. However over the years the rings got separated so that was the first order of business to find a set. Rounded up some ammo and got a set of dies as well. I had a 22 K-Hornet and the Bee looks similar in capacity. Accuracy was pretty good but the trigger has to be around 6+ pounds. I kept thinking the safe was still on when I first shot it. Neat little rifle and look forward to getting more time with it.

53064591414_844aa2a5b8_z.jpg
Good choice! I have two of these (I had three, but one got turned into a 222 Rem.) and they are some of my favorite No. Ones (and I have more than a few!). Mine are extremely precise (i.e. "accurate") shooters that are a joy to load for and shoot. My standard load that I judge all others by is 13gr of 4227 and a 40gr Nosler ballistic tip with a small rifle primer.
Do yourself a favor and get a better trigger - the old 3-screw Ruger triggers work fine and can still be found for sale at various places on the web. The supposedly adjustable 2-screw trigger that Ruger has been using since ~1977 can be improved somewhat,, but not enough to bother with.

Latest posts