Gunsmith Recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in my general area? Am looking to get a Cowboy action job on 2 Ruger Vaqueros. I have two of the BNVBH-453. Vaqueros- 3 3/4" barrel with birds head grip. I believe they are Ruger "clean-up" guns. Not consecutive serial numbers.

Also, may I please ask, what I would need to have done to them besides lightening the trigger in terms of an action job?

I am in Palm Beach County (Southeast Florida). Don't mind mind driving a bit (north, south or west) to get the work done if need be.

Many thanks guys- I admit to being a newcomer and appreciate how much I have learned from you guys on the Ruger site.

Flatbush

BlkHawk73

Hunter
All depends on how much a GOOD action job is to you. You can easily change the springs and make a noticable difference but for a GOOD smooth action send it to someone that specializes in that. Can't always rely on local guys.

Enigma

Hunter
BlkHawk73 said:
All depends on how much a GOOD action job is to you. You can easily change the springs and make a noticable difference but for a GOOD smooth action send it to someone that specializes in that. Can't always rely on local guys.

Absolutely. Want what is arguably THE BEST action job available? Send them to Bob Munden. In today's world of instant gratification, it seems like everybody wants to have a world-class gunsmith in their home town, and they want the work done while they wait! At least, that's what my gunsmith tells me...

The really good gunsmiths have a backlog for a reason, trust me on that!

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Yes guys, I believe that you fellas are 100% correct. I guess I was hoping to stay local to avoid not just the cost of having to ship them cross country by Fedex or some ground carrier. Or, even worse in my mind, possibly having to go thru an FFL to ship them out. Its the hassle of it all. Also, I guess I don't like too many people knowing my business if at all possible. That's all.

I now sure that your advice is best though. Next week I will contact a well-known smith and make arrangements to ship the revolvers. Thanks for your time.

PackN

Bearcat
Flatbush

I too have a couple of Rugers that I need Slicked -Out!! I am in Tampa so let me Bird-Dog on this side of the State and see what I can come up with!! I got two Super Smiths in mind but want to ask them first!!

PackN

Welcome guys. See if you can find someone with the American pistolsmiths guild.
If you work on them yourself i'd recommend Iowegans gun guide. Call Bowen or Harton or Clements Lot of good smiths in the east and south east.
You can do alot with just buffing and polishing the surfaces. Gunsprings.com has all the springs you'll need. (Wolff)
Good luck. Eric

tommyt

Bearcat
PackN
I'm in Clearwater have you talked to anyone at the Wyoming Antelope club its in Feather Sound
I know the have Cas on Friday nights
Look them up if you can't find it
PM and I'll get you a Local ##

Tom

also if you have any hog areas that need Thinning
I am always Ready and willing
call at 6 I'll be in Tampa at 7 :) maybe 6:30
7 days a week
I like Pistol whipping Hogs when ever Possible

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There is a big 'Cowboy' club in Ft. Lauderdale. (Gold Coast Gunslingers) If you are going to be shooting 'Cowboy' You would probably enjoy hanging-out there. I'm sure some folks would be happy to share their gunsmithing tips with you. :D :D

http://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Florida

...Jimbo

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Thanks fellas for the info. I will keep you guys up on any leads that I come up with just for general info purposes.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Flatbush said:
I guess I don't like too many people knowing my business if at all possible. That's all.

So you post on an internet forum so 480 bagillion people have access to what you wrote? :lol: j/k ya. ;)

guitarpicva

Bearcat
guitarpicva said:
I can recommend Dixie Firearms in Eastern Oregon. PM me for contact information.

For any who need work done, particularly on Ruger SA's, Rod is THE man.

http://www.dixiefirearms.net

He also installs Mike Bellm parts on Encores and Contenders and he does general gunsmithing and all kinds of finishing work as well.