Gunsite scout rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dad11345

Bearcat
Have you made a decision on how you will mount it. I tried aimpoint patrol, traditional mounting using the enclosed ruger rings and a leupold VX3 1.75x6x32. Finally I tried the leupold 2.5x scout scope and left it that way. All three worked well. What fits your needs may differ.

PebblePimp

Bearcat
I put the Burris 2.75x scout scope on mine. I think I'm going to change it out for the 2-7x & mount the 2.75x on my .30-30 '94. I love it, I just want a little more mag occasionally.

dad11345

Bearcat
Dwane, To mount traditional you have to remove the back sight and then the rings will attach like a normal Ruger set up. I removed the rail when I had it set up that way as scope clearance for scope covers was an issue.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I mounted an older Leupold 2-7x32 scope on mine using the supplied rings. The objective clears the rail quite nicely but a larger, say 40 mm, bell probably wouldn't.

BTW, Ruger provides rings of two different heights, a #4 (the lower) and a #5. The #5 goes to the rear of the action. This was my first experience with the M77-type action and I fought the scope installation for much of an evening before getting it right. The owner's manual gives absolutely no indication that the rings aren't identical and makes no mention the order of installation. It took a call to Ruger to assure me that they hadn't made a packing mistake and how to install them properly.

Also, if you want to mount the scope higher Ruger offers higher rings and will exchange yours at no cost if you call and ask. Just be sure to get the two different height.

fracas714

Bearcat
I went with a scout set up, a Leupold FX II 2.5x28 I plan on keeping my shots 100yrds and under.

PebblePimp

Bearcat
You can still reach out to 300 yds. Not moa, but good hits on deer/man sized targets & probably even coyotes. If you're good, even farther. I'm not, so I keep it 300 & under. Lol. You might think about sighting it in for point blank range. I plan to on mine when I get off my butt & do it.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Mine sports a Burris FF-I 3-9 for the moment but will eventually get a scout scope an quick-disconnect rings. Daughter #1 wants to hunt elk with it this fall so no changes until after that - unless I can convince her to use my .280 or a .30-06.

Dwane

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the great info and recommendations I plan to put a leupold scope of some size and configuration and will definitely be setting it up as a scout set up. I appreciate everyone's help.

dad11345

Bearcat
Dwane, Take a look at SWFA.com and their sample page before you buy. You should, if patient be able to save at least 50 dollars on the scope of you choice. More saving based on cost of the scope. In stock items are samples used at shows and are rated A,B,C. for condition. They will even e-mail you when the samples are updated if you sign up. A is like new, B is some signs of handling (which I have found hard to find) C is obvious use. I have purchased over 10 of them and an aimpoint patrol and am very satisfied. No returned items at all. The Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II scout scope was 249.00. Its is still almost 20% of a 299.00 scope.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I put a 2-12x42 VX-6 on another rifle and it is a great scope. Very wide range of magnification and uses. Nice, clear optics across the whole spectrum too. I'd consider the 1-6x24 VX-6 for the scout rifle too.

Dwane

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the great ideas folks, one of the many reasons I stay a member of RF so many good people that are willing to help the newbies figure things out and generous with excellent knowledge. I put a little VX1 3x9x40 as a scout scope. seems to work for my needs. if I could figure out how to post pics I would. Ill work on that.

dscott31508

Bearcat
Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Adjustable Objective Matte

I had this on my ruger American 308, nail driver!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1156168462/simmons-whitetail-classic-rifle-scope-65-20x-50mm-adjustable-objective-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding