Gunshow Purchase: Blackhawk Convertible 9mm/357mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

QB

Single-Sixer
While I'm waiting for my Bisley SS 45Colt/45ACP to arrive I decided to purchase the 9mm/.357mag convertible today at the gunshow. It's the only one I saw so I grabbed it up. I'll try to take better pictures later this week and will write a range report if and when I ever get to the range.

I have a couple SS Single Six revolvers (4 5/8th barrel) and they have one fluted and one un-fluted cylinder. So does the Bisley SS I just ordered. Sure wish this model had one of the cylinders unfluted because I like the look. Also wish it came in SS. This is the only blued handgun I have but the finish is very very nice.

I'm new to Ruger single action revolvers and am still very confused on the different grip frames, cylinder frames, etc. But I did the old magnet test and this gun appears to have an alum grip frame. It came with 2 "keys" so I guess it has the lock (I didn't take off the grips to see but I'm sure it must if it came with keys).

If I wanted to order different grips, would specifying NM Blackhawk with lock mechanism be enough to get the correct size grips??? Do I have to tell them it's a 9mm/.357mag convertible??

Thanks

BlackhawkConvertible9mm357mag.jpg

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
QB":nsnlrwvn said:
I'm new to Ruger single action revolvers and am still very confused on the different grip frames, cylinder frames, etc. But I did the old magnet test and this gun appears to have an alum grip frame. It came with 2 "keys" so I guess it has the lock (I didn't take off the grips to see but I'm sure it must if it came with keys).

If I wanted to order different grips, would specifying NM Blackhawk with lock mechanism be enough to get the correct size grips??? Do I have to tell them it's a 9mm/.357mag convertible??

Nice buy!

To order different grips, simply state that you have a New Model Blackhawk. It seems likely that you have a lock-equipped gun, but the Blackhawk grip frame (XR3-RED) is wide enough that the lock won't interfere with any NM Blackhawk grips (I don't know this from personal experience but have seen a couple of our resident grip-makers comment on this recently).

For what it's worth, your cylinder frame is a full-sized Blackhawk frame and is the same overall size as any other Blackhawk (.44 mag, etc.). There are some .357 Blackhawks that have a smaller cylinder frame that were made to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the .357 Blackhawk. These are the guns that have the smaller gripframe (XR3) and that require grips with a shallow "relief" taken out of the underside of the grips to accomodate the lock because the New Model XR3 gripframe is narrower than the lock apparatus.

QB

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info, I'll see about getting different grips after I shoot the gun and decide it's a keeper (which it should be).

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
Nice gun. Enjoy it!

Funny about our preferences. I had to think for a minute to realize that of all the guns I own, I only have 1 in stainless. That gun is a S&W performance center piece that has some kind of really trick surface treatment that is a pretty good ringer for blue.

QB

Single-Sixer
I really DO love the blued Ruger revolvers but am just really picky about the finish and so when there's a slight scratch/mar I obsess about it. I need to GET OVER IT because the blued guns really are a nice finish. I see more blued Ruger revolvers in my future.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
Was that the one at the Market Hall show? I looked at it long and hard yesterday but decided to wait for a .41 mag. Congradulations.

QB

Single-Sixer
Yes, Dallas Market Hall Gunshow. The Gun Zone was the dealer. They only had one and I looked at it three times. Finally caved about 11:30am or so. I don' t normally like to buy the displayed gun but they only had one and I looked it over pretty good for scratches, etc. Not sure if they had some more at their store that they just didn't bring with them.

There was one on Gunbroker with a buy now price of $579 (don't know what the reserve was) but the auctin closed, unsold and has not been relisted yet.

Glad to see that I beat you to it. :D Usually I wait and then it's long gone!!! Hope you find your .41 mag.