Gun collection reduction, Mark 2 vs 4, and optics.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

humdinger

Bearcat
Ruger fans... long story... please hang on.

I bought a ruger Mark 2 SS bull barrel when I got out of school decades ago and have enjoyed it.
Many years later I asked my gun smith if he could drill & tap it for me so I can add a optic for my eventual aging eyes
He said buy a new one and sell off the old and I would be money ahead because D&T SS is risky
I found a new MK 2 government SS shortly after MK 3's came out. I put a Vqzn hammer kit and extractor (has hurt the reliability though) and a burris fast fire.

Well I am thinning down my collection and pondering if buying a new Mark 4 5.5 SS and selling the other two may be a way to get a easier to clean gun and I need to thin out my gun collection.
Honestly I don't shoot the Mark 2's much because I have a old S&W 617 that smokes them, but I dont want a optic on it.
I just like the idea of having a fast to load auto for pickup seat duty when visiting the family farm.

Now I don't disassemble my Mark 2's often and the local gun shop has told me they wont take trades on them because they dont sell against against a Mark 4 due to disassembly. That means selling my Mark 2's could be tough.

I watched youtube videos to refresh me and the disassemble is a pain, but not impossible for a rarely shot gun. Although I do wonder if banging the barrel off my red dot sighted gun could lose zero... Anyone have experience on it?

I tested my "Ultimate clip loader" and it appears the mark 4 magazine will work in ti when my gun dealer let me try it.
I do like the better Mark 4 mag release though.

So to summarize it:
1. Mark 4s worth the upgrade?
2. Is there a mark 4 magazine disconnect?
3. Is there a market for the older mark 2's?
4. What price range for a decent SS 5.5 in and like new SS Gov with aftermarket mods?
5. Does banging the barrel on & off a mark 2 move zero set on optics?

Thanks for looking at this and throwing opinions at me.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Keep your Mark IIs. Personally I would not take two MK4s in trade for one of my MKIIs. Your SS 5.5" (KMK512) would be $350 or so. SS Gov't (KMK678G) $400+. Price depends on box and docs and how bad someone wants it.
If you decide to sell post here on RF classifieds first. You should not have any issues selling.

There's nothing wrong with the MKII series, IMHO.

I won't set any speed records, but I can reliably field strip a MKII in a minute or two, literally. Practice would speed that up... but for what purpose?

Lots of folks (myself included) are always in the market for a MKII at the right price. Maybe some of us should give our name/numbers to your gunsmith. He could hand them out to those folks who are trying to trade in their MKIIs! :p

You are not likely to have any problem selling a MKII here. There are many here who feel that the MKII is the best version of the MK series. I agree with 1gun's assessment on MKII value, and prospects for selling your MKII here...

I don't have personal business experience with him (yet!), but forum member SGW Gunsmith (Dennis) is well-versed in the MKII series. I'm sure he could help you out, if your local 'smith is not comfortable D&Ting stainless.

hittman

Staff member
Impossible to find MKII's here.
One store already has a couple of MK4's on consignment. Been sitting there a couple of months.
Must be a regional thing but the MKII's are wildly popular here.
Most folks have learned there's simply no reason to take them apart therefore, no advantage to the MK4.

Which MKII's would you sell and what do you want for them?

humdinger

Bearcat
Uncle Howie said:
There's nothing wrong with the MKII series, IMHO.

Lots of folks (myself included) are always in the market for a MKII at the right price. Maybe some of us should give our name/numbers to your gunsmith. He could hand them out to those folks who are trying to trade in their MKIIs! :p

I don't have personal business experience with him (yet!), but forum member SGW Gunsmith (Dennis) is well-versed in the MKII series. I'm sure he could help you out, if your local 'smith is not comfortable D&Ting stainless.

This was several years ago and my gunsmith had moved up to his retirment home on a lake and was being very selective about taking certain jobs. He knows I scan shops and could find a deal and maybe he knows there was a risk of broken taps on that gun.

Ive never found a younger gunsmith as honest and skilled as him, but he should enjoy retirement.

Its odd that he was a gruff old guy, but we bonded with a mutual hatred of eradicating beavers on our respective properties. ;-)
He seemed very happy to make tweaks to my beaver gun.

humdinger

Bearcat
hittman said:
Which MKII's would you sell and what do you want for them?

Both would go if I decide to do the MK4 and have enough reason to do it.

My goal is to reduce my collection a bit and keep what I love. (I know that sounds like blasphemy, but I had to do it with my fathers gun collection which caused family stress)

kschwa

Bearcat
Hi there humdinger, another MN guy here with a grandson about ready to begin gun safety and would love to give him a 22 for successfully completing the course. I really think a KMK512 would make the perfect 1st gun for him. Please keep me in mind if you decide to thin the heard.
Thanks, kschwa

mohavesam

Hawkeye
hittman said:
...Most folks have learned there's simply no reason to take them apart therefore, no advantage to the MK4.

We here agree with this. And yes, years shooting the MkII accurately and confidently vs. limited experience with the MkIV, we'd of course trade for more MkII guns! Unless/Until the factory stops supporting MkII parts and service...

22/45 Fan

Hunter
hittman said:
Most folks have learned there's simply no reason to take them apart therefore, no advantage to the MK4.
I expect those "most folks" don't shoot their MkIIs very much since periodic disassembly and cleaning are essential to keep any gun reliable.

Disassembly of the MkII isn't very hard or tricky, it's reassembly that gives some folks fits. However, if you follow the directions given by Ruger and/or have a knowledgable owner show you the technique, it's not that difficult at all.

BTW, disassembly of your MkII, unless you are really heavy handed, should not change the zero of you Burris Fastfire.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I might disassemble mine once a year. And I shoot it a lot. Just open bolt hit it inside with a little gun scrubber. Run a brush and rag through gun a few times and blow out with compressor. Most people tear guns down way to much.

humdinger

Bearcat
kschwa said:
Hi there humdinger, another MN guy here with a grandson about ready to begin gun safety and would love to give him a 22 for successfully completing the course. I really think a KMK512 would make the perfect 1st gun for him. Please keep me in mind if you decide to thin the heard.
Thanks, kschwa

Ill keep it in mind if I part with any.

Gunstop in Minnetonka had a few a while back if you're impatient.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
"Now I don't disassemble my Mark 2's often and the local gun shop has told me they wont take trades on them because they dont sell against against a Mark 4 due to disassembly. That means selling my Mark 2's could be tough."

Personally I think that is just his way of lowering the trade in value. I would take a MKll over any MKll or MKlV any day. Just my opinion.

Xsales

Buckeye
I agree with others who said they would NOT take 2 MKIVs for 1 MKII

I shoot the MKII 22/45 with extreme accuracy
Re-assembly is easy once you learn the simple technique

OP: You want to sell your MKIIs? shoot me a PM

X

mohavesam

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
hittman said:
I expect those "most folks" don't shoot their MkIIs very much since periodic disassembly and cleaning are essential to keep any gun reliable.
Disassembly of the MkII isn't very hard or tricky, it's reassembly that gives some folks fits. However, if you follow the directions given by Ruger and/or have a knowledgable owner show you the technique, it's not that difficult at all.
BTW, disassembly of your MkII, unless you are really heavy handed, should not change the zero of you Burris Fastfire.

Actually, it's really not about assembly being difficult, it is just that most folks who are really serious shooters have discovered ultrasonic cleaners. Just remove the grips, open the bolt, and drop it in the basket. Crud is gone and the machine is food-grade clean inside and out. Cleaner than factory-new.
- They can be used for rifle bolts and fire control without dis-assembly, jewelry, watches, eyeglasses, etc. and no toxic or low-flash point compounds need be used. I use organic dish soap solutions for most guns, including very old Colt, Buckmark and Ruger pistols. Gunsmiths/platers use 'em when there is a risk of damaging a part that cannot be easily/cheaply replaced. For others, Cylinder & Slide's DunKit works very well.
But is you truly feel a need to detail-strip something, you can always start with your spouse's appliances... 8)

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
humdinger said:
Ruger fans... long story... please hang on.

I bought a ruger Mark 2 SS bull barrel when I got out of school decades ago and have enjoyed it.
Many years later I asked my gun smith if he could drill & tap it for me so I can add a optic for my eventual aging eyes
He said buy a new one and sell off the old and I would be money ahead because D&T SS is risky
I found a new MK 2 government SS shortly after MK 3's came out. I put a Vqzn hammer kit and extractor (has hurt the reliability though) and a burris fast fire.

Well I am thinning down my collection and pondering if buying a new Mark 4 5.5 SS and selling the other two may be a way to get a easier to clean gun and I need to thin out my gun collection.
Honestly I don't shoot the Mark 2's much because I have a old S&W 617 that smokes them, but I dont want a optic on it.
I just like the idea of having a fast to load auto for pickup seat duty when visiting the family farm.

Now I don't disassemble my Mark 2's often and the local gun shop has told me they wont take trades on them because they dont sell against against a Mark 4 due to disassembly. That means selling my Mark 2's could be tough.

I watched youtube videos to refresh me and the disassemble is a pain, but not impossible for a rarely shot gun. Although I do wonder if banging the barrel off my red dot sighted gun could lose zero... Anyone have experience on it?

I tested my "Ultimate clip loader" and it appears the mark 4 magazine will work in ti when my gun dealer let me try it.
I do like the better Mark 4 mag release though.

So to summarize it:
1. Mark 4s worth the upgrade? YES
2. Is there a mark 4 magazine disconnect? YES
3. Is there a market for the older mark 2's? YES
4. What price range for a decent SS 5.5 in and like new SS Gov with aftermarket mods? DEPENDS ON CONDITION
5. Does banging the barrel on & off a mark 2 move zero set on optics? NO

Thanks for looking at this and throwing opinions at me.

The choice is purely yours as to what you want to do with your Ruger Mark II pistols. I've had well over a dozen Ruger Mark IV guns cross my bench for smoothing and trigger upgrades, along with a few other aftermarket part additions. They are a very nice pistol, and basic cleaning is indeed easy to do.

You mentioned that you have added a Volquartsen target kit to your Mark II, so, you have had the grip frame apart and got it back together OK. That's way more than some are willing to do. The Ruger Mark II pistols have been designed to allow the upper and lower to be separated for cleaning. One thing I've been doing for well over 30 years, starting with the Ruger Mark I pistols, is to add an anti-seize lube to the front tang on the grip frame. Sliding that tang into the receptacle in the receiver in a dry condition will have the mating metal galling, and rubbing metal away to the point of a sloppy fit of the upper to the lower. I prefer anti-seize with copper dust embedded in it as the copper dust is known to be a beneficial factor for lubrication along with the lube.

K2OngJgl.jpg