Grip material

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pecos Jake

Bearcat
I have a 44 Flat top made built in 1957 with brown plastic (or whatever material was used other than wood) grips. When did they switch to black and then to wood?

hittman

Staff member
Your brown grips changed color with age. They used to be black, then the company changed to walnut.
Some would give your brown grips a little wipe with Armorall or similar product. Others take pride in the brown just like they do when the frame or loading gate turns colors.

Welcome to the forum 🥳

the very first ,early 44 flatops ( Nov shipped guns??) came with the hard rubber ( black plastic) and the story we got was in the first weeks of the next month Dec, they switched to the walnut grips as they broke some of the early grips or they did NOT like the "feel" of the 44 mag with the plastic........we had heard the story many years ago that the gun s shipped the mid or end of Nov had the black grips, they had the weekend off for Thanksgiving and some went to the range , try out the new guns and the following week ( now the start of dec,) they changed over,,,,,I did not doubt the story I heard from one of these people, and made very good sense,,,,,,,,,,,alas the parties are now deceased so again, MORE Ruger lore......also some of these 1957 44 flatops got some of the fancy walnut grips that were used for the RSSE program, the "lessor" fancy?? , plainer?? ones....seen a few really nice walnuts on some of them 44 flatops back then......:cool::rolleyes:;)

add to the posts above, the original "hard rubber" (plastic) grips started with the Single Sixes, 1954-55 then the 357 mag flatops came out in 1955 had them,,,these 'hard rubber' grips, would often change colors , turn mainly brown, various shades and we've seen some almost green, this is a reaction from ultraviolet light ( sunlight) if a gun was out in the open, setting on a shelf or hanging on a wall or even in the holster hanging up the out side grip or in the case of one in the box or laying down,,,the exposed grip ( facing up or outward) turned color first....you can usually just oil or wipe them down with oil or even grease I use RIG myself and they will darken up if not then some folks used RIT Dye ( black) and soaked their grips, either way works I never used the dye, and often if they "match" both panels, leave 'em be, its like a badge of time and honor...looks good
yes old grips , wood or whatever material ,over time do "dry out" and need to be tended to........on stags and ivory we use lanolin, rub it in.........
again, 'welcome' Pecos Jake.............would love to see a picture of your gun;)