grip i.d. needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobski

Hunter
my speed and security 6 has much smaller and thinner factory grips.
in this pic, top far left, what style do you call these grips? were they an accessory?
(photo courtesy the www.)

Attachments

• Thumnail-copy22-2[1].jpg
    Thumnail-copy22-2[1].jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 95

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I recall them being called "Big Grips" but I don't know if this was a nickname or the official name. Ruger used to sell them as an accessory in a blister pack at gun shops.

I have used them on Service Sixes and I loved them. Big improvement over the "slim" wood grips.

Sile made a knockoff of them then they later made the factory rubber grips that came on late model Sixes that looked like Pachmayr knockoffs.

bobski

Hunter
im going to run a wanted ad in the classifieds. i prefer big grips.
if you have any leads, lmk. (70's circa factory originals in mint condition. nos would be nice.)
are those grips 2 screws or 1 thru the frame?

The "Oversized Walnut Panels for Security Six" (as labeled on the Ruger Accessory Parts 6 pack box from Ruger) are a single screw thru the frame. Six series revolvers that came with them installed from the factory had a suffix of "T" in their model number, ie, RDA-34HT (Security Six, .357 Magnum, Blued, 4 inch Heavy barrel, with Target grip panels)

Last edited:
Last edited:

bobski

Hunter
my wtb has been posted in classifieds. my gun is 153-192xx. others told me its a high back. t/f?
thanks to all that assisted me in i.ding my need.

Last edited:
If you're talking about the dished out section on the left side of the grips, that is not a "thumb rest", it's a clearance cut for correctly indexing (lining up) speed loaders. Ruger didn't make their own grips, they were contracted out. As far as I know the oversize target grips (2 styles over the years) and the Pachmayr grips (various styles for the frames) were the only ones actually put on the guns at the factory. Anything else were aftermarket.

roylt

Hunter
Back when I was tinkering on pistols, I purchased a 6 pack box from Ruger as a clearance item. I cut one set up to try to make some SP101 inserts. Never actually got them to work before life got in the way and I had to change plans for my tinker time.

Ended up selling several sets on here to recoup a few bucks on them. I never had a pistol they fit anyway.

Good luck on your search. You might even try to call Ruger and see if they still have a loose set laying around?

eveled

Hawkeye
I remember them being on clearance. There was a golden opportunity to watch shopruger clearance all kinds of neat stuff was being found during a warehouse clean out.

They apparently had 100's of those grips. Because of that they are easier to find in mint condition than the small ones
securitysix001_zpscc958596.jpeg

Last edited: