Grip Frame Spring & Plunger Hole Polishing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BucolicBuffalo

Single-Sixer
How are you guys polishing the burrs out of a grip frame plunger hole?

I changed out the grip frame of my NM 44 Special Flattop with a stainless round trigger guard version from Midway USA. It's got a bit of filing to be done and I have it real close. But the cylinder latch spring & plunger would not even go in the hole. I touched up outside of the hole and got rid of that burr. Then had to take a drill bit and carefully reopen the hole. The spring & plunger even in a smooth hole feels a bit coarse to me. But I think I feel burrs in this stainless grip frame hole. The original grip frame hole feels slick and smooth when I insert the plunger first to check for burrs.

I assembled the gun and in operation, the cylinder latch did not seem to operate quite right. Was not locking it up tight. I dry fired it several times and it came into proper operation. Now it's just fine in operation. But I am going to have that frame off several more times to finish up the fitting and polishing. May as well try to solve this spring & plunger hole problem. Maybe I'll learn something.

The why. The smaller grip frame caused my knuckle to smack the trigger guard. Changed out the grip frame, and the hammer for a wide spur Super Blackhawk version. Also ordered Wolff 40oz spring set. Had to replace the hammer strut assembly and get rid of the lock.

Jerry Kuhnhausen's book says to detail the spring & plunger hole. Looking for more in the book about that. But I could use some pointers I think.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
40 # spring set ???
A chucking reamer is the best way to fix that plunger/spring hole. Check Enco, probably cost about $10 . Otherwise a little polishing compound on the shank end of a proper size drill bit should remove any burrs an a short time.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have some ceramic rods in small diameters I use to polish tiny holes. I also have some needle file sets with small round files in them. Some are tapered, and some are one diameter. Maybe a Harbor Freight has a set of inexpensive files for you to do just this one job.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Maybe a small wooden dowel (wooden match stick) and some rubbing or polishing compound? ...and then a good cleaning and oil.

BucolicBuffalo

Single-Sixer
JB bore paste with a drill bit shank worked great. I just could not see the simple solution. Flushed it good with Kroil and some fine wooden cue tips to clean the hole. Slick and smooth now.

Thanks all!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The spring and strut from the original locking grip frame work wonderful with a lightened pull in the grip frames w/o the lock. All you need is to add the non-lock spring seat in the new grip frame.

New Vaqueros with and w/o lock are designed with a lighter hammer pull for cowboy action shooting: 24 coils instead of 28.