GP100 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shotbyspike

Bearcat
Just a quick question. Is there any difference between the blued gp's and the stainless? What I mean is are they both all steel or partially aluminum?

I'm a noob, be gentle.

ray1970

Single-Sixer
Ahhh... another opportunity to post pictures... I have one of each... both are excellent guns... the blued one shoots tighter groups... probably has nothing to do with the metal the gun is made from...

GP100project13.jpg

DSCF1746.jpg

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
ray1970":2ruwn2jm said:
Ahhh... another opportunity to post pictures... I have one of each... both are excellent guns... the blued one shoots tighter groups... probably has nothing to do with the metal the gun is made from...

Hi, Ray

Nice pix!

Out of curiosity, have you swapped grips and tested to see if the blued one still shoots tighter?

I ask because I kinda like "harder" grips: wood, plastic or hard rubber. Seems I can maintain the same grip shot to shot a little easier than I can w/ "soft" rubber. Or is that simply a poor excuse to justify my like for wood? I dunno... ;)

Rick C

ray1970

Single-Sixer
Haven't experimented too much with different grips.. I am a much bigger fan of nice wooden grips... the stainless one will probably get a nice set in a week or two... will see if it effects the groups any.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I think (but I'm not absolutely certain) that Ruger uses a custom blend of stainless that isn't published.

Both metals are alloys though, both most likely contain a certain bit of aluminum as its a common metal to have in the mix. Remember that there are about 20,000 different steel alloys patented.

I have both blued and stainless models, both are quite accurate, my blued one has a 6" barrel and its a little more accurate than my 4" stainless.

sebtool

Blackhawk
ray1970":1dsgdgsh said:

Actually, the alloy may have something to do with it. Stainless alloys are much harder on tooling, and more finicky as far as the processes, speeds and feeds involved. The accuracy and tolerances of your particular revolver could easily be affected, depending on how many parts had been run already with any given end mill, reamer or drill. These days every attempt is made to get as many parts out of a tool before it's changed or sharpened, and rightfully so. Tooling is expensive!

All manufacturers have a tolerance range for each part, and they can pass thru QC either on the bottom or top side of the tolerance. And on the days that QC is hungover, sleepy, or pizzed at the world, well, who knows what you might get! :shock:

And I never really thought about it that way before.... :roll:

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
The frames are also castings. Which many people associate with aluminum, thats whats different from other manufactures.

DGW1949

Hunter
TiteGroups":1cfzt1u7 said:
The frames are also castings. Which many people associate with aluminum, thats whats different from other manufactures.

Or not.
Cast frames have become quite the norm. Springfield's M1A, most non-Colt 1911's, semi-auto pistols in all sorts of calibers...and a lot of the revolvers you could name, both imported and domestic. Heck, these days you're lucky if your shiny new gun aint made from some sort of squished-together powdered metal or features a multi-piece barrel that has been welded or pressed to form a single unit.

DGW

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
I was referring to revolvers. I own quite a few but they are Colts, S&W, Rugers and DW, the DW maybe cast but I doubt it, are the Taurus a casting? Don't own any to check.

shotbyspike

Bearcat
Thanks for the info. I read something on here about the blued single six's not being all steel, and I wanted to know if this was the same for the other ruger's.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
I don't know the specifics but some models have aluminum grip frames, and some are steel. You can check them with a magnet.