GP100-Confessions of a S&W Snob

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
you guys saying a Ruger aint as pretty as a Smith???

i beg to differ!
there is NOTHING ugly about that gun!
and i am not even a fan of stainless guns!
Andyd said:
image_zpsc5a57bc9.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
I too am a huge fan of the S&W DAs, and own a bunch (don't make me count them). But I don't like the new ones--most of what they're making now is way overstyled, and the ones that aren't, they ruined the looks of when they revised the frame profile to accommodate that stupid lock thingie. :evil: I'm not sure I could find ANYTHING in the current S&W catalog that I'd actually want to own--especially at today's prices. :? :( :evil:

If I needed to buy a .357 DA today and couldn't find a good used S&W (or Colt), I'd look very, very hard at the GP100. :wink:

Thel

Blackhawk
I have had S&Ws, old and MIM pre-lock and a Python or two along with a Dan Wesson. I like the GP100 and Six Series the best and still have them. Just parted with a S&W 686 Mountain Gun. It was tuned as is the GP but the GP's action sort of reminds of the Python with the larger hammer arc and all. Still have a .22LR S&W 18 but if Ruger were to make a medium frame .22LR, welllll ! As another noted the S&W of old is not what one gets today.

Msmyth01

Bearcat
I just added hammer, trigger & hammer dog shims from TriggerShims.com. Hammer shims to eliminate hammer scratching, trigger & hammer shims to even things out. Trigger pull feels the same (very smooth) and the hammer scratching went away (I polished the scratches out before installing the shims). Best $11.00 I've spent in a long time :D . I can highly recommend TriggerShims.com to everyone.
This Ruger GP100 is everything I've been looking for in a revolver. Built like a tank, accurate, and affordable. I still use my 1967 S&W 28-2 6", but the Ruger is quickly moving the S&W to second place in the line-up.

gjgalligan

Single-Sixer
Msmyth01 said:
For years, if it was'nt a S&W double action, it wasn't worth my time. I always like Ruger single actions, but the idea of a Ruger double action left me cold. Well, I was at a LGS/indoor range over the weekend. They had a used range gun Gp100, blued, 4", hogue grips. My first thought was, that's one ugly gun. The grips look hideous. Then I actually held it in my hands. My heart raced. Started sweating. It felt absolutely wonderful. Great balance. Manufactured in 2009. Said to have been shot "alot". Other than normal handling nicks, it looks rarely used. I couldn't find any sign of top strap cutting that I normally see on used 357s. The ejector rod design threw me off for a second, but I'll get used to it. Lock up is tight, no endshake, what a tank. With box, lock, paperwork, etc., I paid $400.00 out the door. Not great, but good to me. Oh, by the way, trigger is as nice as my S&W 28-2 that was made in 1967. Pics to follow later today.

Still waiting.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Andyd said:
I had bought my GP 100 when it was offered to me for a good price about ten years ago. It ts a pretty solid gun and my sons and I have shot it for several thousand rounds. It is a .38 Special with fixed sights and a four inch barrel.

My Service Six has a nicer action but i find the GP100 to balance better for fast shooting, particularly with the Nills on it.

image_zpsc5a57bc9.jpg

Oh Man, I love those grips on this revolver! They are beautiful and look like they would be super comfortable. :D

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
Sorry Wayno, I had a security six, love the GP better! Better balance, better grips. IMO. :)
gramps

+1 ... the GP100 is a solid improvement over the Security Six.

Every now and then a gun manufacturer just gets everything right with the design and production of a particular gun. The Ruger GP100 is one of these. I just can't get enough range time with my perfect, perfectly balanced, and great looking GP100s.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have several S&W revolvers myself.
I also have an LCR 22 for J Frame size Practice. I have a 38 SP101, a Stainless WC GP100, and a 480 Super RedHawk.

I handgun hunt, and the Super RedHawk 480 is as large a handgun as I care to carry. I like it much better than an X Frame.

Willy Clapp GP100. The Ruger version of a 3 Inch 686 S&W, ONLY you cannot get a 6 shot S&W 686 in a 3 inch barrel any more. With the WC GP100 you have a robust 357 snub, that can be reloaded with Safariland Comp II and Comp III speed loaders, as well as the L Frame Jet Loaders. With a 7 shooter S&W you have a choice between the Turn Knob HKS 567, and 5 Star. :(
I like the 3" revolvers for serious concealed carry. A 3" barrel is about my maximum length in a pancake at 4 O'Clock. Any longer and I cannot access my back right pocket.

My SP101 would compare well to a S&W Model 60 in 357 Magnum, ONLY I am sure the SP101 is more Heavy Duty than the S&W, and about a $100 or so cheaper.

My LCR22 is my practice J Frame size revolver. No recoil, and Normally cheap to shoot.

My main SSR/Classic revolver would be my 686-5 S&W. Great revolver. However if I were replacing it with a NEW revolver today, I would probably get a GP100.

Now if they will get a great Moon Clip 45acp on the market, about $100 or so cheaper than a S&W 625.

Bob
ICORE MO2908