GP100: 3" or 4" fixed sight vs. adj.??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ledyard

Bearcat
patcannon said:
I love my GP and carry it, but it's true the SP is a lot easier to carry. Most people consider the GP a little too big for concealed carry, and IMHO it is unless you get just the right holster and a sturdy belt. And I really wish Hogue made a compact Monogrip for the GP just like the one they sell for the SP. Here's my guns. Note that they are free of such pointless fripperies as movable sights or hammer spurs.

Yeah, that SP looks a tad more comfortable than the GP.

Sigchaser

Bearcat
I can add my two cents to this. I own a 3 inch gp100 and am issued a 4 inch gp100 where I work ( the work gun is a special run made for my company of 4 inch fixed sight 38 specials). I am a big guy but I personally have no issue concealing the 3 inch in a mitch rosen owb rig. My concealment garment is an untucked button down shirt. I also find it to be as accurate as the work gun although ymmv on this as the guns ruger made for us are imho very sub standard for ruger. My perspective is that the 3 inch balances better for me and is a pussycat to shoot with 38s and tolerable with 357s. I would personally go 3 inch again if I had to do it over and I whole heartedly wish I could pack it at work.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Just ran across this on Grant Cunningham's Web site, which is a source of knowledge any revolver aficionado should know about anyway:

Is the Ruger GP100 inaccurate?
Owners of fixed-sight Rugers are generally much happier with the accuracy of the GP than those who have the adjustable sights, and I can't say I blame them. The first problem is Ruger's rear sight: it stinks, to put it bluntly. Don't get me wrong, the rear sight picture isn't bad (in fact I prefer it to Smith & Wesson's); the problem is that the Ruger rear sight often won't hold zero all that well.