GP100 10mm conversion question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Condor1970

Bearcat
I emailed Clements to clarify, but thought maybe someone on here might know, or chime in concerning the 10mm conversion capabilities of the 6-shot GP100.

I noticed Starline sells 10mm Magnum brass, which is slightly longer than 10mm Auto. Technically it is short enough (shorter than 357) to fit in the 10mm conversion cylinder, but is it safe to shoot full power 10mm Magnum loads out of the 6-shot 10mm conversion?

Condor1970

Bearcat
Well, I thought I'd update this. I got an email back from Clements. So, for those who may have been wondering, he said that the 10mm Magnum is too much cartridge, and should only be shot in large framed guns. Kind of a head scratcher to me, since the GP100 frame is so beefy, but if that's the verdict, then I'll go with that. I was really hoping to be able to shoot the whole array of 10mm cartridges with that conversion, but I guess not. Bummer.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'm not at all surprised that the 10mmMag is too much cartridge for a six shot GP100. I would've expected it to need a new five-shot cylinder. I've seen loads for it up to 43,000CUP.

Condor1970

Bearcat
Yeah, it's kind of funny though. I have seen bored out 6-shot cylinders, and the amount of metal between the chambers seems to be more than adequate, so I'm not really sure what the problem would be. I mean, the GP is about as stout a frame as you can get in a medium size. Heck, the bridge alone looks like it belongs on a 44 Mag.

Thel

Blackhawk
Perhaps it has to do with cylinder wall thickness at the outside of the cylinder in conjunction with the pressure. He does or used to do .41 Special conversions on the GP but those are loaded to a lot less pressure. Only other thing I can think of is the back of the cylinder star would beat up the recoil shield and have a potential for endshake to develop early.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Condor1970 said:
Yeah, it's kind of funny though. I have seen bored out 6-shot cylinders, and the amount of metal between the chambers seems to be more than adequate, so I'm not really sure what the problem would be. I mean, the GP is about as stout a frame as you can get in a medium size. Heck, the bridge alone looks like it belongs on a 44 Mag.

IT AIN'T THE FRAME...it is the cylinder that blows....and that takes the frames topstrap with it, just for fun...

Seems to me that I recall that the advantage to a five-shot cylinder is not so much more material remaining as it is the ability to locate the cylinder locking notches between the chambers instead of right over the thinnest part of the cylinder.

Yes?

No?

:?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Seems to me that I recall that the advantage to a five-shot cylinder is not so much more material remaining as it is the ability to locate the cylinder locking notches between the chambers instead of right over the thinnest part of the cylinder.

Yes?

No?

:?
Yes, that is one advantage of a 5-shot cylinder and it also leaves more metal between adjacent chambers.

However, if you look at a standard 6-shot .357 GP, the locking notches are already off set somewhat away from the center of the chamber so they aren't right over the thinnest part of the cylinder wall. An S&W L-frame has the notches exactly centered over each chamber.

Latest posts