Goodbye, SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

youngde

Bearcat
I've put my four-month-old SR9 away and returned to my XD9. After sending the Ruger back to the factory for a) jams and b) a dislodged fire-control-unit pin, I took it out today and put 150 rounds through it. Still jams, and this time I had an extraction failure (the expended case was not removed from the breech). I give up. I need a dependable gun for competition, practice and carry. I envy those of you who have flawless SR9s, but mine sure ain't one of them. Just comparing the machining quality between the XD9 and SR9, the former is clearly much more refined.

Color me very disappointed with Ruger.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Yep sounds like you got a bad gun. I've not had any of those problems. I've yet to jam in fact. But if I had the problems you did with an XD, Glock, ect I'd have no faith in it either. Doubt in a firearm once it gets in your head is reason enough to replace any gun I think. You probably did the right thing.

youngde

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
Yep sounds like you got a bad gun. I've not had any of those problems. I've yet to jam in fact. But if I had the problems you did with an XD, Glock, ect I'd have no faith in it either. Doubt in a firearm once it gets in your head is reason enough to replace any gun I think. You probably did the right thing.

You're absolutely right about the doubt. It's strange, but real.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
I agree, you have to trust it, once lost its not easily regained. I've never had any problems with my SR9. Had a Glock 17 for a while that would not reliable cycle factory target ammo of any kind, even changed the spring and no good. The gun went away in a hurry, it never fit my hand well either. Love my spring fields.

Good luck
GF

youngde

Bearcat
No gun manufacturer is immune from defects; I've read of Springfield's, Sigs, H&Ks all having an occasional issue. That's to be expected, and it sucks when you're the one with the busted pistol and everyone else is enjoying theirs. However, when the gun comes back from the factory supposedly repaired and it's actually worse, that's an entirely different issue.

I'm going call Ruger once again, but this time I want a new gun. I don't believe mine is fixable; it's fundamentally broken. We'll see what happens.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Youngde, sorry to hear about your problems with the SR9. I don't own an SR9 but when I bought my first pistol it was an XD9, and I still love it. Never a problem and it's still one of my best shooting pistols.

mg2112

Bearcat
1480 trouble free, accurate, reliable rounds through my SR9. You must have gotten a lemon.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
youngde said:
No gun manufacturer is immune from defects; I've read of Springfield's, Sigs, H&Ks all having an occasional issue. That's to be expected, and it sucks when you're the one with the busted pistol and everyone else is enjoying theirs. However, when the gun comes back from the factory supposedly repaired and it's actually worse, that's an entirely different issue.

I'm going call Ruger once again, but this time I want a new gun. I don't believe mine is fixable; it's fundamentally broken. We'll see what happens.

Youngde, if ya get the chance to post back I'd be interested to hear what Ruger says about getting the new SR9. I'd agree with you though that a brand spanking new one would be the only thing that kept me as a customer, I'm just curious how they will handle it.

The tough thing about this is you have the moral issue of trying to sell it off knowing its defective to someone who may possibly depend their life on it. Maybe someone who does not practice with it much.That's a tough spot. A full refund and return of the pistol would not be a bad outcome either I suppose.

youngde

Bearcat
Thanks, I'll keep everyone posted.

The problem with selling the gun is that I won't be able to, in good conscience. It's dangerous and If someone got hurt I couldn't live with myself. So, if Ruger doesn't replace it I'll have to eat the $425 I paid for it. That statement will find it's way into my conversation with Ruger CS, by the way.

-- david

blindjim

Bearcat
Gee.. it's too bad entirely. I suppose you did all the things necessary to ensure the fault was mechanical, and not attributed to merely dirt or lack of lube, that it was cleaned out well, etc., sorry to hear if it indeed is the technical side. I'd suspect however it would be returned until it was totally relaibale were it my gun.

Was this bought via Davidson? They would just give you another gun if it was a bad one. All of my recent pistol purchases have been thru Davidson... my FNH FNP45 T, and my now Ruger SR 40c... which has yet to see the range, darn it. that should occur shortly though.

youngde

Bearcat
All of my guns are cleaned meticulously after each range trip, regardless of rounds fired. One of the notations the Ruger armorer noted on the last work order was "CLEAN FIREARM".

The gun is also apparently suffering from "slamfires"; at least the behavior sure fits the definition. It's going back again to Ruger this week. Ruger's CS said the gun was going to a supervisor this time; she (ominously) asked if the gun was going "full-auto", and I see from research that there were some SR9s that have suffered from this, albeit awhile ago.

I've asked for a new firearm, stating I do not believe mine is repairable. I bought if from a very reputable LGS which is also the range I belong to. Perhaps I'll talk with them also.

-- david

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Some years back I had a new P97 that never ran right; I fought that thing for a year, had Ruger/Prescott on speed dial, and it made two trips back to the factory. Nothing worked.Ruger finally offered to take the gun back, destroy it, and send me a NIB one. I took them up on it because destroying the gun really appealed to me. To say I was tired of fooling with it would be an understatement. The odd thing was that I liked the basic design and shot it well--when it worked.

When the new one showed up I took it straight down to the LGS and put it on consignment. Nothing else to do when you lose confidence in a weapon.

Ellwood

Bearcat
Sorry about your SR-9, mine with more than 4000 rounds through it is 100% flawless no issues at all. But you are right, you have to trust it.

blindjim

Bearcat
WEll, David... they sure should give you a new one after two trips back to the plant... menaing they've had 3 chances to get it right. It's getting into their pocket on the second trip back there not to mention the online negative pub they're enduring. That sure can't help.

When I was in retail selling home urnishings, electronics appliances etc., a person gets a great deal on something, you're lucky if you get a refferal from them.

Do someone poorly in a sale, or if they get a lemon, and you don't satisfy it quickly & professionally, leaving a bad taste in their mouth, they'll stop people on the street they don't even know and tell them about it.

Good news travels well, but bad news? It travels at the speed of light going farther and faster.

That's the main reason I can never seem to figure out some gun shopss and electornics sales places having condescending and arrogant attitudes before and after the sale ... if they get one.

I'm probably never gonna understand that sort of practice.

Good luck with your process.. I'm betting SR does the right thing by you as long as you remain steadfast and polite about receiving a new one. It serves no good purpose for them to do otherwise... by reputation or economically.

be well...

Rei40c

Blackhawk
"Ruger's CS said the gun was going to a supervisor this time" - I hope that's the truth and not just a line to pacify upset customers. I have no reason to doubt them but how would we ever really know who's hands it ends up in? What if its his day off, what if he called in sick? Are they really going to leave the gun sitting on his bench with a note he's the only one to touch it? Maybe, I have no idea just thinking out loud really but I have my doubts. I'm with blindjim about replacement, at this point its been back 3 times, the smith labor and customer service rep hours is probably already nearly touching the value of the gun.

"she (ominously) asked if the gun was going "full-auto"- Umm wow, what? That's scary lol

youngde

Bearcat
I've done my job with this gun. I was very polite in both speaking with customer service and the letter I wrote, but I was also honest in my opinion of my particular SR9. I did credit Ruger for making some very fine firearms; I have a Mk III 22/45 that is beautifully machined and fires flawlessly. But I also was blunt in my analysis of my particular SR9, and politely asked for a brand new firearm that functions properly. Now we'll see. If I end up dissatisfied I will indeed make it known, but if Ruger makes me a happy customer I will make that known just as loudly and will not hold this episode against them.

I'll keep you all up to date. The gun was shipped back next-day-air this morning.

-- david

blindjim

Bearcat
I'd think at this point, and sooner most likely, it is a moot point if a super gets to view the gun or some other person does. Whomever! Big Deal! It really does not matter. The idea I'm sure behind the 'super' seeing it is to OK the exchange process to begin or complete.

The hang up here as I see it is IF this is what is called in electrnics as an Intermittent issue. Only happens after… or at some time… etc., meaning as I read OPS post… took it right to the range and shot 150 rounds and THEN… yada yada.. I doubt Ruger & Co. is gonna shoot more than a mag thru it to try to see if it takes palce then.

They can't. Haven't the time for it.

The numerous returns is or should be affidavit enough somethings up. It can't be buyer's remorse if another one is diesired. That should be evident.

So, as said, it behooves SR to stop the bleeding and do some damage control NOW.

Sheesshh. I've yet to ignite mine. My plan is/was to nail 200 or 300 rounds and then do some upgrading if all is well at that point, with some of the Galloway Per. Parts.

Be nice. Be persistent. Be firm. .. but be nice.

Hell, send them a link to this thread!

youngde

Bearcat
Sending SR a link to this thread isn't a bad idea. I'm going to keep that in my back pocket until I see how they handle this latest return/request. Thanks very much.

-- david

BogieDog

Bearcat
I'm sorry for your problems with your SR9, but I found somewhat comfort in reading of your travails and your gentlemanly way of handing your discontent.

I too am a big Ruger fan and own 4 Ruger handguns. The most recent is a SR9 I bought 3 weeks ago and through 2 sessions at the range using 2 different brands of ammo the pistol failed to go into battery multiple times (FTF) and then I had a few FTE issues through 150 rounds

I'm going to try a couple of new brands of ammo this week and will contact Ruger if the problems consist. Their customer service is ranked amongst the finest in the world and I trust to have a happy resolution to the problems following a reasonable and respectful approach to the situation.

Please keep us in the loop as your situation ensues.

Good luck!

Cyclepath78

Bearcat
My sr9 is six months old with roughly 700 rounds through it. WWB and Atlanta arms reloads often provide me with frustration and extraction problems. Federal bulk shoots much better but not perfect. My SD ammo and premium target ammo offer 100% reliability. The problem with that is 95% of the ammo I shoot is bulk ammo and 5% is premium. I'm not sure if I've been lucky with the premium ammo or if I will experience these problems further down the road.

The extraction problems with the spent shell stuck in the breech is very concerning for me. It gives me a reason to doubt this gun in a self defense scenario. I'm going to continue shooting this pistol with ammo that has a proven track record with me and go from there.

Good luck to you!