Ghost "Ultimate" Trigger on SR9 - Update and Solut

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nicodemus

Bearcat
MFE said:
I tried the Ghost Ultimate 3.5 trigger today and couldn't get it to work, which seems highly unusual given all the positive reviews I read about it prior to purchase, so I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance or experience.

I followed the instructions carefully and ensuring the bends were shaped properly. It was a fairly straightforward install, assisted by some youtube videos, but when I got it back together, I could not get it to function properly during dry fire.

Specifically, the trigger will only fire when the ejector is in the downward position, but it won't reset. When I put the ejector up and release the slide, the trigger will reset, but then it won't fire. Of course I ensured the safety was off.

I took it back apart 3 times, examining the parts and carefully reassembling it each time, ensuring I was doing it properly per both the instructions and a couple different videos, with the same result every time.

I then reinstalled the factory trigger and all functions returned to normal.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'll call Ghostinc on Monday but I wanted to see if anyone had encountered this and what they did to rectify it.

Thanks!

I had to take mine apart and bend the tang in a little to get a lighter trigger pull. However, I had none of the problems you described.

What was the out come with Ghost Inc.?
Please give us an update.

MFE

Bearcat
Arthur at Ghost Inc offered me a refund or an exchange, and I think I'll take him up on the refund while I ponder my next move.

MFE

Bearcat
I sent the Ultimate back on Friday and I just got notified of a full refund today. Nice!

bowfita

Bearcat
robilmichael said:
I posted on Saturday after installing the Ghost "ultimate" unit on my SR9. This is the unit one that is a drop in unit and does not require fitting.

As reported, the trigger was initially better and lighter but not near as good as I was hoping as it still was not near the standard of the Ruger 22/45 that I was expecting.

After dry firing it for around 75 times, I am now VERY PLEASED with the result. Perhaps the trigger connector just needed some run-in, but the pull has significantly reduced to very close to the 22/45 (reported to be 3.5 lbs.). In fact, it may be better. The trigger is now very easy with a nice clean break. Contrary to some posters, I did not have any grittyness, long travel or "hitches" in the trigger (before of after).

The only problem that I had before and after the Ghost trigger install was that the gun seemed to "jump" a bit when the striker spring/pin is released and hits the stop. I thought that the "jump" was caused by the striker spring being so stout. It is not; it is caused by the very slight overtravel of the trigger. I figured this out when I put a little piece of rubber behind the trigger that just fit between the back of the trigger and the trigger guard as the trigger breaks. That prevents the trigger from moving past the break and just stops and cushions the trigger as it breaks. I have not lived fired it yet (I will today), but I can tell already that this will be a major improvement. RUGER, are you listening?

The effect was literally amazing. The trigger now feels like a CZ75 or 22/45 that I have shot, both of which I think are near perfect. Very light, very clean break, and no overtravel. You can hold the gun lightly and when you pull the trigger there is no movement in the gun, the trigger just breaks and stops and the gun stays steady. Try that with a stock trigger and you will see that the gun will tend to "jump" a bit because of the slight overtravel.

Try this as an experiment. Pull off an eraser of a pencil and sand it so that it it is just a hair bigger than the distance the back of the pulled trigger and the trigger guard. Hold that piece of rubber in place as you dry fire the gun (MAKE SURE IT IS unloaded obviously). You will feel a completely different trigger than you have felt on the SR9, at least I did.

For the final install of this trigger stop I used a little piece of black rubber that I sanded, fitted and just glued it to the trigger guard. It looks like a little black button. It works great and took about 4 minutes.

Thanks to all, and thanks to Ghost for an excellent job. You have a happy customer.

The other Ghost trigger (the Rocket, I think it is called) is the one that has to be installed, tested, sanded downed, reinstalled, etc. until it works. I think that trigger takes care of the overtravel issue as you go through that process. I will be interested to hear from others about that trigger.

Good luck.

This should be a sticky. If someone comes up with a single, simple solution to the over-travel, no other fix would be necessary. I tried the eraser trick and it is the perfect trigger. To me, its all about the over-travel.

Is there a part (internal) that you could put a rubber cap or stopper on that would simply reduce the over-travel?

kc5tty

Bearcat
I was given an SR9 by my son who went to a Springfield XD. I love my SR9.

Installed an Ultimate into the SR9 and it was immediately better. (I have one of the older SR9's). Bought an SR9c and loved the stock trigger even more. Installed the Galloway trigger update kit into the SR9 and with the Ultimate immediately fired much better.

Then bought the Rocket and took my time putting it into the SR9 and moved the Ultimate into the SR9c. Both improved drastically. Next I will put a Rocket into the SR9c.

I fired my SR9 in IDPA last summer and came in 2nd in a group of shooters (15) that I always finished in the middle of the pack or in the lower third. Fired in another IDPA match and did much better than previously. World of difference in the stock guns and now.

I really love the Ghost products (and in the case of my SR9.. the Galloway trigger kit.) I still don't see anyone else shooting the SR9 in IDPA and when others try my guns they are really suprised at the smooth way they fire now.

Way to go Ghost and Galloway!! Best money you can put into the Rugers. Glocks have tons of add-ons and replacement parts but the Rugers only have a few. Those few are fantastic.

MFE

Bearcat
So for my next round, after returning the Ultimate, I polished the fire control parts and installed a Galloway Smooth-it kit. Trigger pull went from about 5.5 lbs to about 4 lbs. I also installed a small block on the trigger guard behind the trigger as an over-travel stop. Man, what a difference. I haven't fired it yet, but I plan to this weekend, I'll report back then.

MFE

Bearcat
I'm 0 for 2 on aftermarket trigger improvements. With the Galloway trigger bar spring installed, the trigger would fail to reset after over half the shots I tried. It reset all the time on dry-firing, so I don't understand the problem, but I put the stocker back in, and it runs fune again. Which sucks, because I really liked the trigger pull with the heavier spring.

Latest posts