GENTLMEN Convince me to buy a Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Should I jump into a Security Six??

• Just buy the Security Six, you will never regret it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just buy a GP-100 3" and forget nostalgia.

• Just buy an SP-101 5 shot snubs are IN.

• Send me the money you would be spending on the gun. JUST KIDDING!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheShootist1894

Blackhawk
Well, life is being pretty good to me right now, and I find it is time to add another gun to my little collection. I have always likes the looks of the 2.75 and 4" Security Sixes, I love the looks of adjustable sights, and think the grip shape/feel/look of the Security Sixes is possibly the best Ruger ever had. But I need convincing for some reason. . . .

I don't really like SP's because they are 5 shot, and the whole fixed sight thing

And the GP I had just seemed uber robust, but lacked that touch of class. . .

Is the Security Six the answer? Do I want a 4" or Snub???? I am thinkin Snub, as I have a S&W 627-5 Performance Center W/5" barrel already, and I would defiantly carry the Ruger. Also I think I want Blued. . . .any reason not to? Finish wear is not of concern, as I am not going to buy one that is too close to NIB. . . .

Pictures are always good too :D

reakin

Single-Sixer
Shop the deal. Both the GP100 and the old -Six line are great handguns. Keep a pocket full of cash and eye out for one and be ready to snag it when you see it. Should easily be able to pick up a used blued Security Six or GP100 for $350 or less in OH. Heck give rugerguy a shout, he probably saw a few at the last gun show he could possibly steer you towards. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

reakin

Kanook

Buckeye
Get out and handle them as often as possible. The GP doesn't fit my hand well. I have tried many grips and haven't found one I like yet. The Security target grip fits my hand nicely and has been on my side for 20 years.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Thus far, I am the only vote for buying the GP.

And I "lied" ......

I used to brag up the Security Six's and ilk ...... but I have stopped!

As they have been discovered by more shooters ...... the prices have SHOT UP!

I am trying to buy more myself ...... only have one thus far ...... and want to tamp down those rising prices!

Buy the GP ....... truely they are a great revolver. As they are currently in production ..... you can find more accessories, much easier ..... and have a tank of a gun that you can shoot with any reasonable ammo without fear and you won't run the Security six prices ever higher!

Three 44s

TheShootist1894

Blackhawk
How about a little background on me. . .

I have owned several DA Rugers, including 2 GP-100's 4 & 6", both have been traded, like I said they just seemed to lack something, great shooters but something didn't work for me.

I also owned a Ruger Super Redhawk, 7.5" 454 Casull, ported. . . I sold this to a 'friend' so he could try handgun hunting, I sold it to him with the stipulation that if he EVER wanted to get rid of it he give me first crack at it . . . this 'friend' traded my gun for a mismatched 03-A3, but this is a whole nother story. . . .

I am also a gunsmith here in NW Ohio, working full time at Ottawa Ordnance, Customer brought in a Security Six in a bag for me to put back together, and this has 'lit the fire' so to speak, I just flat out like the way these feel!

Would it be a sacrelig' to buy a gun that is 30+ years old and out of production to carry? Cause that is what I am thinkin is going to happen!

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
This is ironic.

The GP's are wonderful guns. They are strong and accurate and even good looking.

But we all (well, most anyway) sit around rating the Security Six so highly. I want to acknowlege that there are no losers in this poll. The three Rugers are all fine firearms.

It's the same as the "Ginger VS MaryAnn" argument. I just prefer the Security Six and MaryAnn. A lucky man would also experience Ginger and a GP 100.

Dave

maxpress

Buckeye
i didnt vote because i always hold out for speed and service six's. almost as concealable as the sp and a six shot. i know i saw that alot.
the security and gp seem so close in bulk to me with the adjustable sights that it dosnt really matter.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Honestly, what is there to convince you of? LOL A sixer would be my choice. Any six series, in fact. Now, as for barrel length... You're on your own with that one. :wink:

Florida-boy

Bearcat
I couldn't vote... there's no selection for me. Don't buy another one. you'll just be forcing the market to go up and I need 4 more myself.