Galloway "Precision" LC9 trigger kit

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gusco21

Bearcat
I joined this forum to learn more about my gun and to contibute with what little I know. If you are looking into getting a GP 35% shorter stroke trigger kit DO NOT do it!!
I ordered one for Father's Day this year and installed it myself (the pin on the LCI is a BEAR to remove). The installation seemed to go just as described on Galloway Precision's website instructions. I dry fired it and it cycled fine, however, since I noticed the installation video mentions using the newer 322 + firing pin, I ordered that by GP's recommedation and installed it upon arrival.
A few weeks later I went down to a local range and put about 6 mags through it and suddenly it stopped working. So, I brought it home and tried figuring out what had happened. I was able to see that the hammer catch was not coming forward enough to allow the hammer to hit the firing pin. It would only make it back to it's neutral position.
I contacted GP for a second time and they advised me to modify the trigger bar myself (IF YOU DO ORDER A KIT, THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD STOP. THEY ARE CLEARLY AWARE OF A LACK OF QUALITY CONTROL ON THIS PART AND WANT FOR YOU TO FIX IT YOURSELF). I bent the tab down on it as they asked, but the problem got even worse. So, I thought bending it in the opposite direction would help the problem. However, in trying to open the tab back up the trigger bar broke.
At this point I contacted them (GP) again and they told me they would only send out a new trigger bar to me if I shipped an undamaged trigger bar back to them. I don't know of any company that would ask you to modify something, have the consumer pay for the shipping on a defective return, or hold you accountable for damages that were done by doing what they advised (modifying the trigger bar).
The gunsmith who handled my email then proceeded to reprimand me for expecting a return for a part that I damaged (even though the damage was done trying to correct their lack of having the appropriate bend on the trigger bar) and stating that I they do not have a quality control problem. I differ in opinion since they quickly knew how to "correct" the problem and said "the policy on returns is in place due to the fact that people would not follow our directions to the letter, and damage their trigger bar and expect a free replacement." So, I am definitely not the first to go through this problem.
The kit did improve the feel of the gun quite a bit. I was having a bit of trouble honing in, but an accompanying friend was shooting 2" groups from 5-10 yds. However, Galloway Precision's lack of taking responsibility on damages occuring due to trying to correct their lack of precision manufacturing has led to the creation of this review. This gun is clearly a conceal carry weapon, not a range gun. So, do yourself a favor and keep it reliable by keeping it stock and, in my opinion, steering clear of Galloway Precision altogether.

e3mrk

Bearcat
Sorry You had a problem,I replaced the Trigger Bar and Trigger and Guide Rod and Springs and had only one problem and that was getting the little door that covers the take down Pin to stay put while reinstalling the assembly back into the Frame.
So far the replacement Parts seem to do what is claimed.I will say that I ordered the Parts separately instead of the Kit so maybe that has something to do with it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
gusco21 said:
This gun is clearly a conceal carry weapon, not a range gun. So, do yourself a favor and keep it reliable by keeping it stock and, in my opinion, steering clear of Galloway Precision altogether.

You've learned the hard way what I've been preaching for years .... At least if your gun is stock it's most likely fairly reliable, and you'll never have to deal with the potential 'unintended consequences' of legal ramifications that may come from being involved in a shooting with a self modified weapon.

REV

modrifle3

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
I think the LC9 is too complex for what it is. I'll stick with my ugly, cheap, 100% reliable Kel-Tec PF9.

Isn't this the same gun ... More or less? Never owned or even held a Keltec.

modrifle3

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
I think the LC9 is too complex for what it is. I'll stick with my ugly, cheap, 100% reliable Kel-Tec PF9.

I agree the lc9 is complex for what it is. Should have been either a true DA or SA, but all in all it works.

gusco21

Bearcat
UPDATE: I finally took the gun to the range with the Galloway "Precision" springs still in, but the stock trigger and trigger bar in. It fired and cycled fine with a slightly lighter trigger pull.

groberts

Single-Sixer
The intended purpose of the bar is to reduce the trigger length, not the pull force. Galloway forced people to buy the complete set while Saint Arms sells a bar only for much, much less.

RHankD

Bearcat
Very good information. In my mind, since its a defensive weapon, and is carried in the pocket most times, it should have a stiffer trigger so it doesnt accidently get activated from something in the pocket, and being a stiffer trigger, you must consciously pull the trigger. Yes, I do use a pocket holster, but nothing is 100% fool proof.

gusco21

Bearcat
groberts said:
The intended purpose of the bar is to reduce the trigger length, not the pull force. Galloway forced people to buy the complete set while Saint Arms sells a bar only for much, much less.
Correct. I bought the kit because I was interested in improving the feel of the trigger. It did feel great with the handful of shots it operated for. I have heard of similar quality control issues with Saint Arms.

gusco21

Bearcat
RHankD said:
Very good information. In my mind, since its a defensive weapon, and is carried in the pocket most times, it should have a stiffer trigger so it doesnt accidently get activated from something in the pocket, and being a stiffer trigger, you must consciously pull the trigger. Yes, I do use a pocket holster, but nothing is 100% fool proof.
Agreed! I don't conceal carry, but when I do (and if it is this gun) I will not carry in my pocket.

Latest posts