Fruitcake Anyone?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For some reason it's hard this year to get into the Christmas spirit. I think because it's been so warm here in Dallas. Yesterday was right at 80.

I usually make fruitcake for Christmas. I think I'll make it today to see if that helps to feel more like Christmas.

Anyone else here like fruitcake? I'm not sure why people don't like it. My dad taught me how to make it. I think the brandy and schnapps help give it that extra little appeal. But it's good without too.

One year I practiced hard on holiday breads and adding different liqueurs, like brandy and schnapps etc. not a lot, just enough for flavoring.

Igor

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
For some reason it's hard this year to get into the Christmas spirit. I think because it's been so warm here in Dallas. Yesterday was right at 80.

I usually make fruitcake for Christmas. I think I'll make it today to see if that helps to feel more like Christmas.

Anyone else here like fruitcake? I'm not sure why people don't like it. My dad taught me how to make it. I think the brandy and schnapps help give it that extra little appeal. But it's good without too.

One year I practiced hard on holiday breads and adding different liqueurs, like brandy and schnapps etc. not a lot, just enough for flavoring.

Or, you could just throw the fruitcake away, and drink the brandy and schnapps. Just kidding !!
I actually like fruitcake, and look forward to it this time of year.
Hope you get some more Christmas-like weather soon.
Merry Christmas !!!

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
I find after two or three Caption Morgan's with a splash of ginger-ale and warmed up fruitcake in the toaster oven with some real butter on it tastes pretty good.

Merle1948

Buckeye
Kevin said:

I sure do!!!

blackhawknj

Buckeye
The rule with C-rats, like a lot of Army chow was they weren't eaten, they were inhaled.
I like fruitcake, on a cold winter night, with a cup of tea....

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
Cant stand it.

Had someone give us one a week ago.

Still trying to give it away.

No one my age wants it. Guess I could use it as a spare tire for tractor

Well I just pulled the fruitcake out of the oven. I think it's going to be good!

I'm glad so many people like fruit cake here. Raises my opinion of ya'll just a bit! :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I like fruit cake also but not the kind we used to sell when I was in Boy Scouts. Claxton Fruit Cake was nothing but fruit. I like a cake with some cake in it and a drizzle of Cognac sauce on top.

wwb

Hunter
T.A. WORKMAN said:
I like fruitcake also, but I'm really a peaches & pound cake kind of guy! :) :wink:

Terry

Peaches & pound cake..... you forgot the one other solid-gold C-rat: fruit cocktail. Then, at the other extreme..... ham & lima beans.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I do like it. Anyone remember the fruit cake in the "C" rats?"

Sadly,, I remember that as well. Along with many of the other items,, like just shown above,, "ham & m,,, uuhhh lima beans."

I've had good and bad fruit cake.

😀😀"Ham & m,,,lima beans", I know what you were going to say 😉😂. Isn't that what everyone called them? Isn't that why they turned the case of C-rats upside down (so no one could see where they were) before everyone picked?

We get the Harry and David's Fruitcake Confection and there is a very good one out of Texas, Just can't remember the name but it is good too.

SamV

Buckeye
I like some fruitcakes. Many are disappointing. I think that I am the only one in my family that will eat one. I am kind of picky.
I also like a good German stollen.

Merle1948

Buckeye
wwb said:
T.A. WORKMAN said:
I like fruitcake also, but I'm really a peaches & pound cake kind of guy! :) :wink:

Terry

Peaches & pound cake..... you forgot the one other solid-gold C-rat: fruit cocktail. Then, at the other extreme..... ham & lima beans.

Hey, I actually liked ham and limas.....

I absolutely love fruit cake made using my grandmother's recipe. Lots of pecans, candied cherries and pineapple, butter, brown sugar...

No citron or other weird "filler".

To all that don't like fruit cake, good, leaves more for me!!!!