Forcing cone angles?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JamesLoren

Bearcat
Hi, does any one know what angle ruger used on there forcing cones for the 32 cal. single sixes ? Was it 5 degrees? 11 degrees? Something in between? Im speaking of the adjustable sighted model 32 caliber single sixes , thanks

conder0289

Single-Sixer
11 degrees is the norm, but with the way things are done now, who knows. What's more important is that the forcing cone should be bored concentric to the barrels bore, but it's most likely done with a countersinking tool.

Old No7

Bearcat
Interesting... Brownell's told me not to recut the forcing cones on my .357 SP101 and GP100 to 11 degrees -- but that was the angle recommended by Iowegan, who was the "resident gunsmith" here at the time. (I think he is over on the "other Ruger forum" now...)

Anyway, I got a Brownell's forcing cone kit (used) off of GunBroker and recut both -- as they both leaded badly and had visible machine marks -- and the results were dramatic and BETTER in reduced leading AND tighter groups. I should add that I also rented a 4D Chamber Reamer to ensure all cylinders matched the lead cast bullets I use (sized to 0.358"). All in all, it was a successful project for me.

Check out these posts for the details and pictures...

Part 1 http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21412

Part 2 http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21413

Not 100% sure if this applies to a 0.32" bore, but it gives you an idea of what is possible.

Good luck!

Old No7[/url]

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Ruger forcing cone angles are either 5 or 8 degrees depending on caliber and date of manufacture. It's been a while since I measured a .32 cal S/A and I don't have one handy to measure, but I believe it is 8 degrees....................Dick :wink: