For any Vietnam Vets here

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Anybody in Pleiku in 1966?

I was just listening to an old tape my uncle sent home from there.

wwb

Hunter
The Big Red One 69 - 70. The Michelin plantation and the Iron Triangle.

Not sure about 66, but when I was there, Pleiku was the 4th Division.

hittman

Staff member
My Uncle was Air Force.

Think he was attached to something called "tactical air wing" and a civil engineering squad.

Don't flame me too hard if I said that wrong please .... I was in grade school then and he's been deceased since the late 90's.

hittman said:
My Uncle was Air Force.

Think he was attached to something called "tactical air wing" and a civil engineering squad.

Don't flame me too hard if I said that wrong please .... I was in grade school then and he's been deceased since the late 90's.

An Air Wing had all of the necessary support squadrons. Maintenance, POL, Egress and Civil Engineering to name a few. Civil Engineering squadrons had just what you would expect, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, road crews, water supply, sanitation etc. The Civil Engineering squadron was pretty much equivalent to a municipal services department, and a large facilities department for buildings and such. One thing we never understood was why they put the Fire Department under CE, but the Skycops were their own squadron.

NKP Thailand '71-'72.

Achigan

Single-Sixer
CUA Viet, Da Nang and Cam Rahn Bay 69-70. Smuggler interdiction (Operation Market Time) off Mekong delta 70-71

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
bobski said:
uss enterprise, 75. pull out.

I had two buddies who served on the Enterprise. Both aircraft mechanics. The first one was on the Enterprise from some time in '69 for possibly two years. I don't remember, and I can't ask him anymore--we lost him a couple of years ago. The second might have been on board same time as you, bobski. I know he talked of being on her during the fall of Saigon and the pull out operation in '75.

I wasn't there.

Rick C

Latest posts