Flat Top / New Vaquero Grips from a Rookie

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hammeredbean

Single-Sixer
I am dabbling with the idea of making a few grips to sell from time to time and I am trying to get my "system" perfected. As a result, I have a few pair that are too good to throw out, but not good enough to bring top dollar. I make these all by hand by using a bandsaw to cut out the shape and then a rasp and sandpaper to get the contour. I have discovered that I (my hands) like THIN grips with no taper...and some of my Single Action friends concurr that they feel nice. THESE ARE NOT PERFECT! Look at the pictures and see what you think. I am pricing these cheap to test the waters and also because they don't follow the contour of the grip frame as closely as I would like. Here goes.....I am asking $45.00 shipped for each pair. They fit my Flat Top 44 special, and I think those will also fit NM Vaqueros as well.... Advice and input is welcome.

Light colored Black Walnut....these are a bit fatter at about 3/8" thick.

Light, Black Walnut #3 by mtnbikerealtor, on Flickr

Light, Black Walnut #2 by mtnbikerealtor, on Flickr

Light, Black Walnut #1 by mtnbikerealtor, on Flickr

Now here are some thinner (approx 11/32") Black Walnut. There are twp pair of these. I hope you like them. The light colored ones are in the photo also. Thanks, EC.

Black Walnut #1 by mtnbikerealtor, on Flickr

Black Walnut Group Shot by mtnbikerealtor, on Flickr

louiethelump

Buckeye
I wil take the darker of the two thin ones shown in the last photo at the bottom if they are available.

Louie

PM me with payment instructions please.

hammeredbean

Single-Sixer
louiethelump said:
I wil take the darker of the two thin ones shown in the last photo at the bottom if they are available.

Louie

PM me with payment instructions please.

Excellent! Ironically that is the only pair that still needs 2 more coats of clear coat...Ha. I will pm you with payment instructions. I will be able to send them Monday morning, all ready to go witha screw and ferrule. Thanks! And by the way, if they don't suit you, I will give your money back....EC.

All others are still available. Maybe some Chestnut coming soon.

louiethelump

Buckeye
how about something to fit the 1/4" shorter frame of the short frame fixed sight 32 H&R magnum guns? How much trouble would it be to do that?

Do you have any in the works that could be altered before being finished? I could send you the existing grips off the gun (the white simulated ivory that I dislike) if that would help.

Louie

hammeredbean

Single-Sixer
If I had the grips to use as a pattern, I think I can do it as easily as the others. You can send them with a check for the ones you bought...I'll pm later....from my computer. Thanks!

hammeredbean

Single-Sixer
They really aren't black. They are brass screws and hex nuts that I file round and smooth. I "antique" them by using cold blue on the brass and then rubbing part of the blueing off. The brass will take the blue, but doesn't hold it well. It is only good for giving it an aged patina.

Exploded

Bearcat
You're grips look great,however I don't want to offend you but I have one suggestion.The grip screw should be more centered,seems too far to the rear and most purists will frown on that.I think if you do a search you will find it has been discussed in the past.

Good luck with your project

hammeredbean

Single-Sixer
Exploded said:
You're grips look great,however I don't want to offend you but I have one suggestion.The grip screw should be more centered,seems too far to the rear and most purists will frown on that.I think if you do a search you will find it has been discussed in the past.

Good luck with your project

No offense taken. I'll look into that. I am always open to constructive critisizm. Thanks!

COR

Blackhawk
I love the "antiqueing" of the hardware, great idea!

Fit is everything. to style, I also agree on the flat bottomed and with equal thickness throughout. Thin or thick doesn't seem to matter much persoally but I just prefer the lack of any flair at the base, especially for heavier loads. Just opinions as you asked for. Good luck on your endeavor!