First Year Production - New Model Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

princeout

Blackhawk
Did the early New Model Super Blackhawks have the same recessed-casehead cylinder as the old model SBH's?
Thanks,
Tim

Deadeye Tom

Bearcat
I recently aquired an S47N (New Model Super Blackhawk) that shipped in Dec. 1973. Not only does it have recessed Case Heads it has a small groove machined into the cylinder face as a firiing pin relief. I have been told that the early models used Old Model cylinders.

I've heard of original Old Model Supers shipped with XR3RED grip frames, but not with XR3's. That said, with Ruger nothing is really impossible.

I'm sure many have been retrofitted after sale.

I have not heard of any New Models wit XR3 or XR3RED parts from the factory. That said, etc . . .

;)

You are right Ale, I should have clarified that I thought I had read or heard that there was some co-mingling among old models as the trasnistin was made from flat top to old model protected ear XR3 RED. I did not mean between new and old model guns. My bad for not clarifying what I meant.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Deadeye Tom said:
I recently aquired an S47N (New Model Super Blackhawk) that shipped in Dec. 1973. Not only does it have recessed Case Heads it has a small groove machined into the cylinder face as a firiing pin relief. I have been told that the early models used Old Model cylinders.

I am a bit confused by your post about the groove. I can see its' utility in a rimfire, but not a centerfire. The firing pin should be nowhere near the edge of the 44 mag cylinder.

captainkirk

flatgate

Hawkeye
OK, everybody take a deep breath and exhale slowly......... OoooooooMMMMMMM!

Ruger used up the last of the "recessed case head" cylinders from the OM's on the early NM's. Then they began using the "new" New Model" style cylinders w/o firing pin grooves.

Rimfires excluded, of course.

flatgate

street

Hunter
princeout said:
Thanks! Anyone have any idea how long the old stock lasted?
Tim

They ran from "known" serial number 81-00001 to 81-42284. The first had the smooth triggers up to serial number 81-13249, and the grooved triggers ran from 81-13667 to 81-42284. No firing pin groove started at 81-41942. As you can see as with just about all Rugers there will not be a particular number when one ends and the other starts. There will be some overlap.

hutchman

Blackhawk
This one has recessed chambers and a grooved trigger.......

462345280_HkUGY-M.jpg

It has since found a new home.