First Timer Trying to Decide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

THauch33

Bearcat
Sorry if this question has been asked a million times. I just don't know what to get. Hopefully this question will be a little bit different.
I'm trying to decide between a P95, SR9, and SR9c. I've been trying to read up on all of them and do my research, but I just can't decide.
This will be my first handgun. I've shot different handguns a couple of times, but not any of these models, (which I do plan to do.) I also plan on eventually getting a CCW permit, but don't really plan on carrying, other than maybe in the car. It'd be nice to have the option to carry.
The other thing I'm considering that looks fun would be to shoot IDPA. Does anyone shoot IDPA with their P95? I see several that shoot the SR9 and SR9c.
So, with that information, which do you think I should get for a first handgun?
Thanks in advance for your input. I appreciate it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
THere's a lot of great guns out there .... why not go to a big gun store, keep an open mind, and handle a whole bunch of different makes and models of guns ? ... it's surely a better approach than deciding on three and then asking others to pick for you.

I'd pick NONE of those if you're planning on shooting IDPA .... I think you need to do a lot more research prior to actually buying, especially if you can't afford, or don't want to re-buy.

If you're dead set on those 3 ... I'd recommend the P95 or the SR9C, the P95 if you're considering IDPA, and the SR9C for mostly carry.

Out of curiosity ... how did those 3 get on your short list ? Not that they're bad guns at all, but why those 3 ?

Also, what's your price range ?? The P95 is about $100 less than either of the SR9's.

REV

martinj001

Single-Sixer
^^Good advice. If your main use of the gun will be shooting IDPA, there are many other guns out there that should be on your list. In the end, how each gun feels in your hand should be more the deciding factor. I have an SR9c as my carry gun, and will also compete in IDPA with it, but more so because it is my carry gun--I'll be using my IWB holster that I carry it in, wearing my everyday clothes, etc. For REAL competition in IDPA, I have my 1911 which is set up much more for competition only than for everyday carry (although it certainly could be used for both).

Like Rev said, hit up a large local shop and hold a lot of stuff. Then pick. :)

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I have shot IDPA with my P95 and I carry it as well. I shoot pretty good in IDPA with it the times I have participated.
I would think the SR9 would be okay too if you are allowed to use an empty mag instead of dry firing it.

tk

THauch33

Bearcat
Thanks for the help guys. Basically those guns are on my list because I don't have a lot of disposable income and I know they're good guns. I like the XD and XDm pistols also, but they're more expensive. I don't really want to go much higher than what I can get an SR9 for, but I guess I could always get used, but not sure what you're getting that way and it's not like they're that much cheaper than new.

croscoe

Bearcat
I'd suggest the P95. The SR9s are pretty slick looking, but I prefer hammers over strikers and the whole barrel peening issue that some have never set right with me. I also like how the P95 doesn't have any "lawyer parts" such as a loaded chamber indicator or magazine disconnect. I use mine to compete in the local IDPA style shoots it works fine. It cycles sandy magazines without issue. I have not had any sort of problems with this pistol and don't really expect to. Granted it's no USP or anything, but it's a great gun at a great price. Good luck with your decision.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
TH ... Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of firearms. While a case can be made for any of the three that you have listed (as well as dozens more), the real issue here is finding what's right your immediate needs, as you will likely accumulate many more that meet other specific needs as the years go by. Accordingly, I would recommend that you find a reputable gunstore/range who's primary interest is to have you as a long term satisfied customer, who has a wide selection of pistols available to handle (and rentals to shoot) and who is willing to answer your questions and make honest recommendations based on things such as:
* Your hand size and strength
* Your budget for the pistol as well as ammo
* Your body type, typical wardrobe requirements and proper holster (since you're considering carrying at some point)

With that said, if I had to make a recommendation from the 3 listed above, I would recommend that you start with the P95, as it is inexpensive, well built, dependable, combat accurate and although a bit on the large side, can be concealed fairly easily (My P95dc was my first carry gun).

Hope it helps ... Good luck with your decision.

Strange

Bearcat
Personally if your down to those 3 choices I would go with the SR9c. Accurate and a lot easier as a CCW. The P95 has a 3.9" barrel compared to the SR9c's 3.5" which is still large for a CCW.

BulkAmmo

Bearcat
BuckJM53 said:
TH ... Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of firearms. While a case can be made for any of the three that you have listed (as well as dozens more), the real issue here is finding what's right your immediate needs, as you will likely accumulate many more that meet other specific needs as the years go by. Accordingly, I would recommend that you find a reputable gunstore/range who's primary interest is to have you as a long term satisfied customer, who has a wide selection of pistols available to handle (and rentals to shoot) and who is willing to answer your questions and make honest recommendations based on things such as:
* Your hand size and strength
* Your budget for the pistol as well as ammo
* Your body type, typical wardrobe requirements and proper holster (since you're considering carrying at some point)

With that said, if I had to make a recommendation from the 3 listed above, I would recommend that you start with the P95, as it is inexpensive, well built, dependable, combat accurate and although a bit on the large side, can be concealed fairly easily (My P95dc was my first carry gun).

Hope it helps ... Good luck with your decision.

+1 BuckJM53

If your dead set on a Ruger any of the 3 you've listed are great choices. You need to shoot and handle the firearms and find out for yourself what is best for you.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
The only draw back to the SR9 or SR9c is shooting IDPA and that mag safety.

Sure it may be removed but some keep to IDPA rules so closely that would disqualify the SR9.

tk

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
I went through a period of research for my first handgun not too long ago.

I decided on a revolver as my first piece due to that form factor's simplicity of design and handling. However, the shooting sports and gun ownership triggered something of a collecting instinct and two months after getting the GP100, I dropped the hammer on getting an SR9. Now, I am planning on how I can fit a nice 1911 into my budding collection. :)

To summarize my experience:

1) take a handgun course, a NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol. No, they are not exactly dirt cheap but you get exposure to different handguns and the benefits of certified instructor instruction cannot be overstated. Their guidance in selecting a first firearm can also be very beneficial.

2) Research. Read reviews on the various online magazine sites and firearm blogs and resources. They can provide a good basis for comparison between different models. That said, adopt a "take everything with a grain of salt and trust but verify" approach. If you search long enough, you'll find negatives as much as positives on just about anything online.

3) Frequent ranges that have a wide range of rentals available. Yes, renting and having to buy ammo at typical dealer prices can get expensive but imo, if you are dropping $400+ bills on something, why not do due diligence to make sure you are dropping your load on something that works well for you.

4) Hook up with friends that shoot. Long time shooters typically have a wide collection and this is a cheaper way to try out a wide range of guns. Buying them their favorite beverage (after the range trip. :), bribing them with Cabela's or other gun retailer gift card/certificates, etc. tends to help.

Following the above four steps, I was able to try over a dozen handguns within a month before buying.

Iwent with Ruger because they offerings are high value and the GP100 and SR9 fit me well. Early on in your shooting hobby, I believe something that is relatively inexpensive, simple, reliable with decent accuracy is better than dropping a lot of dough on firearms bling that may not even be what suits you best because a new shooter does not have a large datum of experience to draw upon yet.

I did not look at compact firearms because my state does not permit any firearm carry so I figure having full size handgun would suit my needs better at the range, for additional firearms training and for home defense.

Just my 2-cents. Happy shopping!

THauch33

Bearcat
Well, I went to the gun shop at lunch and fondled a few guns. I was really hoping the P95 would fit my hands better, but I really liked the SR9 better. I plan on going back and shooting them also to see which one I want. I guess now I'm looking harder at the SR9 and c models. I'll just have to save a few more pennies! Hahaha...

revhigh

Hawkeye
Look at the CZ75B ... it'll cost you about $100 more (depending on what you're spending on the SR9's), and that's the best firearms $100 you'll EVER spend. Don't believe me ? Do a search on CZ75 right here, and you'll see a bunch of posts from new owners who have 'gone over to the dark side' :D

REV