First Post: Should I Get a Back-up Trigger Housing for 10/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I have a BX trigger and I am not impressed with it. I have 3 10/22s and two of them with the factory trigger are lighter than that BX...
Perhaps I got a bad one?
I would say you got a dud. I recently put a BX on mine and its about half the trigger pull of the stocker as well as much smoother. Hands down much better.

I've put Volquartsen parts in all of my Ruger 10/22's, past and present. That leaves me with spare factory parts in my parts drawer. A few years ago, Ruger held a contest where you send in a plinking video using 10/22(s). I got second place, and among the prizes they sent was a BX trigger. I gave it to a buddy and had him give me the one he replaced. So I also have it sitting around.
If you are interested in buying a complete spare trigger group, (cheap), PM me.

unknwn

Bearcat
Hi, All,

I have two 10/22s and about a month ago did the Volquartsen hammer and spring trigger job on both 10/22s.

One 10/22 worked fine, the other had a dead trigger. As a result, it was a frustrating day at the range. When I got home, I traced the problem to the Volquartsen trigger plunger spring being too weak to reset the trigger (it was installed correctly. Reinstalling the Ruger trigger plunger solved the problem.

I'm once burned, twice shy about the trigger. Should I buy a BX Trigger assembly as a back-up, or is that unnecessary?

Thank you very much.
I wanted a trigger housing for a Franklin kit and found that I could get a 'red'BX for just about $10 more than a full kit std. Ruger trigger (like $62).
Now I've got a set of BX parts to experiment with along with my 3rd tier Brimstone, and the binary too.
Got my hands on a Power Custom trigger modding jig after I had the Brimstone done, so with my digital trigger gage, and the honing jig, I just might be able to improve on the BX -and- any spare OE parts I might be able to come across.
Looking forward to seeing what can be accomplished with that Power Custom tool.

I have yet to do anything trigger related to my 10/22s. Scopes on three of them have been my only changes. I guess you could say I've gone with three backup 10/22s! I would like to grab a stainless model with the laminated stock in the future. That one I'd consider doing a metal trigger build similar to posted here but I'm content for now. I'm still relatively new to shooting so still working the basics. Started with pistols so have been working on trigger technique prior to getting 10/22s and so far doing ok with them.

Enigma

Hunter
Here's my take on upgrading the triggers on my guns. Forty-plus years ago, I became the Pistol Armorer for an Army Advanced Marksmanship Unit. I spent a lot of time learning trigger jobs on different pistols (and rifles), test firing pistols, etc. I became spoiled by good triggers. As a result, I still can't stand to shoot a gun with a crappy, heavy, creepy, L-O-N-G trigger pull! A lot of people seem to agree with me. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine. Just please don't criticize me when I choose to remedy the situation on my own guns.

Here's my take on upgrading the triggers on my guns. Forty-plus years ago, I became the Pistol Armorer for an Army Advanced Marksmanship Unit. I spent a lot of time learning trigger jobs on different pistols (and rifles), test firing pistols, etc. I became spoiled by good triggers. As a result, I still can't stand to shoot a gun with a crappy, heavy, creepy, L-O-N-G trigger pull! A lot of people seem to agree with me. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine. Just please don't criticize me when I choose to remedy the situation on my own guns.
No criticism here and I think all here don't pick on choices and upgrades in general.
I guess its just now 3 years for me starting with pistols first and I inherited some nice arms and then also have procured a few... I am still working on pistol technique in general and still a lot to learn, that's why I'm presently not doing much with triggers. Somewhere I have a Tandem Cross part to reduce pull on my Buckmark that I'll get around to installing.
In the collection I have two S&W 3rd gen pistols, the 4006 I inherited and a mint 5906 that was just 'there' when I walked into a store. I think the store got it from an estate sale or something because it literally looked like it was put away and never fired.

The 3rd gen triggers are horrendous but I like the overall gun both in 40 and 9mm.
I also have a GSG firefly .22lr, that trigger would drive you nuts!

10/22's have so-so triggers. That's why people change them. I am not going to spend $80 on another plastic trigger to replace the plastic trigger I already have. I built my own with Volqartsen and KIDD parts ... using a metal housing. I would do nothing to a new 10/22 or I'd do all the good stuff, and the BX isn't on my list of good stuff.

CEB89-D92-144-E-412-E-934-A-2-A796142-B93-B.jpg
8731416-F-5-B98-4-A80-9-C7-D-75-C4-FB8-CF195.jpg
GG is that metal housing a KIDD part?

pyth0n

Buckeye
Welcome!
I have a 10/22 magnum. the trigger was terrible. After a while I had a smith try to clean it up, No joy. Then the BX came along. I bought one ($80 otd) and it's the best thing to happen to my Magnum. Then I asked my self WTH didn't they do this when they made the thing? Of course now that I like the thing, where's the ammo?

No. It's OEM from when Ruger used metal trigger housings. I stripped the powder coating then sanded the grain smooth before polish. The insides are cleaned up OEM and KIDD parts.
Nice, I think it looks great, nice job! Looks like KIDD has full aluminum housings complete, pricey but when I eventually grab the stainless model with laminated stock I might be at the point to try a really good trigger group. Looks like you can even pick the desired pull.

At one point, it was common to find instances of unscrupulous individuals buying BX triggers and then reselling their OEM trigger on ebay by putting it back in the BX packaging.
I have a BX trigger that I'd call 'better' than the typical OEM but not equal to a VQ or KIDD(I don't have either but have handled rifles that do).
I'm solidly in the 'two is one and one is none' group and see nothing wrong with having a spare trigger assembly if you only have one rifle.