First Post: Should I Get a Back-up Trigger Housing for 10/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

belletherat

Bearcat
Hi, All,

I have two 10/22s and about a month ago did the Volquartsen hammer and spring trigger job on both 10/22s.

One 10/22 worked fine, the other had a dead trigger. As a result, it was a frustrating day at the range. When I got home, I traced the problem to the Volquartsen trigger plunger spring being too weak to reset the trigger (it was installed correctly. Reinstalling the Ruger trigger plunger solved the problem.

I'm once burned, twice shy about the trigger. Should I buy a BX Trigger assembly as a back-up, or is that unnecessary?

Thank you very much.

hittman

Staff member
What was wrong with the guns that led you to change them in the first place?

woodsy

Blackhawk
I installed a BX Trigger in my 10/22, and it is great. Don't need no backup. My 60+ years of shooting have shown me that the trigger is one of the smallest factors in accuracy. The greatest is the shooter.

belletherat

Bearcat
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Hittman, nothing was wrong with the 10/22 that led me to upgrade the trigger; I just wanted a lighter trigger pull, and the Volquartsen kit looked like a cheap way to do it, along with learning how to do upgrades.

I gave a friend of mine an extra trigger and a stock for a 10-22 that was given to him for a job he did for someone. It had a plastic aftermarket folding stock and the original flush mounted magazine release. He is very happy with the new configuration

GasGuzzler

Hunter
10/22's have so-so triggers. That's why people change them. I am not going to spend $80 on another plastic trigger to replace the plastic trigger I already have. I built my own with Volqartsen and KIDD parts ... using a metal housing. I would do nothing to a new 10/22 or I'd do all the good stuff, and the BX isn't on my list of good stuff.

CEB89-D92-144-E-412-E-934-A-2-A796142-B93-B.jpg
8731416-F-5-B98-4-A80-9-C7-D-75-C4-FB8-CF195.jpg

10/22's have so-so triggers... I would do nothing to a new 10/22 or I'd do all the good stuff, and the BX isn't on my list of good stuff.

That's a pretty common approach that gun owners take with lots of firearms (1911s and ARs being prime examples). But some folks don't need or want a "race gun" for shooting holes in tin cans or knocking squirrels out of trees. And others might want "the best of the best of the best" but need the money for utility bills & car repairs. To each his own!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

belletherat

Bearcat
I just found out that a lower-end Vortex scope that I had purchased on Ebay was counterfeit, according to Vortex. Once burned, twice shy. Has anyone bought a counterfeit Ruger BX trigger?

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I just found out that a lower-end Vortex scope that I had purchased on Ebay was counterfeit, according to Vortex. Once burned, twice shy. Has anyone bought a counterfeit Ruger BX trigger?

Probably. That would be trice burned. Overpaying for a piece of plastic not much better than the other piece of plastic then finding out it's fake.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Chalk me up as another not impressed by the BX trigger.

I went with a Hornet Custom trigger. !00% reliable for 12ish years and thousands of rounds.

I never understood the slight gain vs risk of unreliability with a weak, compromising trigger return spring. But you should be GTG with the trigger now that you've addressed it.

NikA

Buckeye
It sounds to me like some function checking after your parts swap would have prevented your issues at the range. Spare parts aren't a good solution to procedural issues like that; you'd still be dealing with the frustration of swapping trigger groups at the range.

I've got two 10/22's and upgraded the trigger on one of them. The other is an older 10/22 and I believe that trigger is just as good as the BX trigger. So it's going to stay.

The 10/22 trigger is extremely easy to take apart and put together.

By chance did you contact Volquartsen and ask about why that spring didn't work the way it should?

Oh and another trigger you might consider is the Brimstone trigger. Those are supposed to be very nice but I don't have first hand knowledge of them.

belletherat

Bearcat
Thanks, everyone.
Lesson learned about function checking.
I messaged Volquartsen the other day; no reply from them. What great customer service they have.