Finally got it back from Ruger...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Several weeks ago I posted about a finish issue on a Lipsey's Bisley 44 Spl. I contacted Ruger and they sent UPS to the house to pick up the gun.

Well after a long wait and a couple of failed attempts by UPS to deliver my gun, I finally have it back.

Here is a pic of the gun as it appeared when I first received the gun.

2648331250055011840S600x600Q85.jpg

Here it is after being returned from Ruger.

2316096350055011840S600x600Q85.jpg

2633002280055011840S600x600Q85.jpg

If you look closely you can see original issue that the re-blue didn't completely cover up. I am happy enough, but I would have thought that Ruger would have just replaced the gripframe.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
You think they just cold-blued it and polished? I'm like you, I'd want a complete strip, polish, and re-blue.....or a new grip frame.

Shadow

Single-Sixer
Arokcrwlr - I'd contact them again and let them know their "poor attempt" at repairing your Bisley is "unacceptible" and how you expect them to make it right! This should have been done "originally" by the gun shop you purchased it from. I'm pretty confident Ruger will ultimately want to correct the problem to your satisfaction, so let them know what it will take to make you a HAPPY Ruger gun owner! Good luck.
Shadow

19112TAP

Bearcat
Your not the only one this has happened to, mine had several blueing issues in and around the same area as yours along with one of the grip screw holes looking as someone took a dremel to it. But worst of all was my cylinder wouldn't rotate with the hammer being cocked only when you held the gun muzzle down. I was able to shoot 6 cylinder fulls by manually rotating as I cocked it and with a RCBS 250-KT with 7.0 gr unique I was still shooting 8 to 9 in high at 25 yds off bag support with the rear sight all the way down & hitting the the left with the rear way over to the right. Sent it back soon after getting it and still waiting for it back, called them a week ago and was told that it was in for a new barrel and rebluing. I sent it back the 27th of April. But I'm realling looking forward to getting it back so I can get to shooting.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Arokcrwlr said:
Several weeks ago I posted about a finish issue on a Lipsey's Bisley 44 Spl. I contacted Ruger and they sent UPS to the house to pick up the gun.

Well I guess they like you better they sent UPS to the house. Last month I sent my alaskan back and they said they didn't do that any more. So I had to ship mine myself.

Geezer

Single-Sixer
Arokcrwlr":3bowf9l7 said:
I am happy enough, but I would have thought that Ruger would have just replaced the gripframe.

Why would you be happy with that? I would not accept a half azzed job like that.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Well, I agree that it is a half-a$$ed job. I plan to shoot the snot out of this gun and I'm not too concerned that it's not perfect. If I bought this as a collector piece I don't think that I would have taken possession of it to begin with. I am not willing to be without it for another 2 months to make it perfect.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
They should've done a better job but few things in life are perfect. Take it out and use it like a ruger was meant to be used. Rugers are working guns, not candy ass safe queens.

ClemBert

Bearcat
I'm sorry that happened to you. Personally, I would not have accepted it. It would have gone straight back to the dealer for a replacement. As it is that thing is already de-valued $50 to $100 because of the gouge on the grip frame.

There's nothing that pisses me off more than some factory idiot that takes the easy way out and slaps a patch on a product. I can only wish that that fella ends up with defective product every time he buys something until he sees the light. :twisted:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
It's actually not a gouge. There must have been some oil or something else on it during the original bluing process and the bluing didn't take on that particular spot. I don't know how it got through the inspection process or assembly without being flagged. Now the other spots are hard to explain as they didn't appear to be scratches either, but they spanned the grip frame and receiver - indicating that it happened some time after assembly. I couldn't feel scratches or anything running a finger nail over them.

While the repair is not perfect, it not that bad - I'm ok with it. If you didn't know what it looked like before you probably wouldn't pay much attention to it. Here's a pic at a different angle where it's not noticeable.

2207178840055011840S600x600Q85.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
s that thing is already de-valued $50 to $100
Well now, last thing to worry about in 'collector/resell value' (not that I don't agree it should have came properly blued from the factory the first time) . It'll get more wear just moving in the holster on the trail! And if I had to guess, Arokcrwlr plans to hold on to the gun for a loooong time and shoot the heck out of it! I know that would be my plan :) .

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
the fatman":yu09c499 said:
Arokcrwlr":yu09c499 said:

Well I guess they like you better they sent UPS to the house. Last month I sent my alaskan back and they said they didn't do that any more. So I had to ship mine myself.
Consistency among the "phone answering class" at businesses is at an all time low. I contacted S&W recently and got bad information. Fortunately, I recognized it as such, pushed back, and got (slightly) better info. (It really sucks when it turns out you know more about a problem than a representative of the company...)

They must give these folks a 5 minute course in "how to save the company money by pissing off customers" just before the hand them the phone. Hey, at least you didn't have to try and communicate with a non-English speaker in a foreign country (I assume...).

-- Sam

BGoff_SC

Bearcat
UPS rang the bell today. The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan (Sarah) is back.

4THsrha5-19-101.jpg

So that's 16 days to get to the Mother Ship and back again. They paid for the ride.

Of course I took her apart to see if they had done some corrective action. According to the enclosed letter they had repaired the hammer (arc like marks) and repaired the action. I could also see that they had completed some of the interior metal reduction that I wanted done. There were various points on the hammer and trigger group where excess metal and roughness had been removed.

They of course did not polish the interior on the body or the several parts but I can take care of that.

They stated that they had done a safety function check and that test firing had been done. OK.... So now all I got to do is clean her up, drag her down to the range and put a few rounds through her.

SRHA5-19-10.jpg

She's a real piece of work. Ruger Super Redhawks in .44 Mags and higher are notorious for their capabilities to kill on the barrel end and cripple on the back end.

Of course with the Hogue grips and, some finger grooves, and that extra cushion/ padding they put in there makes quite a difference. I've had 357s with worse recoil.

I've been a big Redhawk fans since the late 80's but that recoil and long barrel put me off. I used to see several of them sitting in Gun Shops up in the far North selling as "Used". Strangely enough they all used to come with a box of open ammo, with only 6 rounds missing. Some body got the urge, put 6 rounds through her and went oops. My bad! Traded it in or sold it. I can understand that.

So far so good.