Finally got a letter from Ruger on my Flattop 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
I was browsing Proxibid for Ruger's in early December and saw this Flattop 357 listed by Cady's Auction Gallery in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They were selling a collection from a Phillip Thyer who was a trapshooter, hunter and target shooter, from Illinois if I remember correctly. Only had 3 other Ruger handguns in the auction, a Bearcat, a New Model Super Single Six and a 10 Prefix Mark 1, so he didn't appear to be a collector, at least of Ruger's. The gun looks like it was never shot outside of the factory test firing.
It caught my eye first because of the serial number, 42629, which is only a little over 300 away from my Type 1 Transitional Eared 357, which is 42980, with both being BKH34's. The Type 1 was shipped in December, 1962, while the Flattop was shipped July, 1963, a full 6 months later. Next thing that caught my eye was the XR3-RED grip frame, and checking the book, found only 3 other's of this type have been found so far. No definite way to prove it, but the late date surely makes it a viable candidate.
Here's some pictures of it:
412102186.jpg

412102185.jpg

412102184.jpg

Got it and found out the box it was in was an uncatalogued box and I'm pretty sure it's the original box. Latest uncatalogued box listed in the Reference is for gun #42093, so this is kind of neat. Again, pictures:
412102183.jpg

Box is in pretty bad shape and the bottom is really bad, will try and find a bottom for it, not repairable at all.
Here's pictures of the serial number on the box, and I'm sure the 1st and 5th numbers are a 4 and 9; fairly sure the 2nd and 4th numbers are 2's, and in just the right light I think I can make out the 6 as the 3rd number, maybe just hopeful dreaming.
412079281.jpg

412079279.jpg

One last thing, the ejector rod housing is aluminum, and after taking it off and finding a lot of dried, caked lubricant, I think it's original as it's been on there a long time. Again the late shipping date does make this a viable possibility.
Anyway, whether it's accepted as a XR3-RED 357 Flattop or not, I'll enjoy it due to it's close numbering to the Type 1 Transitional I have. Hope you like it as well, enjoy the pictures and would welcome comments on it.
HH

flattop44

Buckeye
Sure seems right to me. That late ship date would be enough to validate the XR3-RED & alum ERH for me. Congrad, that's a very rare Flattop.
FT44

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone for the nice comments, you've just given me a big sigh of relief, if all you knowledgeable guys think it's right, then that's good enough for me. One thing you might be interested in is that Ruger doesn't seem to be putting a model number in the letters now, like BKH34. I got two letters, one for this gun and one for a RSS4X and neither one had a model number in it; they just said model Blackhawk and model Single Six. Be pretty hard to letter a brassie or a 10" Flattop now I'd think. They did show both rounds on the convertible, but no RSS4X designation. Anybody else noticed this?
HH

radicalrod

Hunter
Ruger letters now SUCK BILGE WATER....no one there know anything....nor do they care about their history...

They just want to sell new PLASTIC FANTASTIC.....it is an unfortunate situation for collectors....RR

deserttrans

Buckeye
HH, I will let you know on the information that Ruger includes now on the letter. I just sent off for info on a couple. If all they are providing now is info such as Single Six, Blackhawk etc. and no model specifics. That does suck bilge water!!! Without specifics of a certain model the letters will pretty much be a waste. I sure miss the nice Ruger ladies.

chet15

Hawkeye
HH...that is an awesome gun there!! And I might add, having an XR3-RED grip frame is super rare as I had previously only heard of three of these (does anybody still know the whereabouts of 42658, 42670 and 42676?). With as few of these that are known, I can't imagine Ruger making more than a few dozen with the RED grip frame...I mean think about it...all the flattop collectors that are out there scouring the countryside and only THREE (now FOUR) have shown up! So to add to the rarity is the aluminum ejector housing...an entirely new variation!! And you've got the only one known!
I believe it was Donnie's latest book that made reference to Ruger holding production of the protected sight model until distributors and dealers had a chance to get rid of their stock circa 1962. This would explain why there is little transition between XR3 and XR3-RED grip frames between the flattops and protected sight model. In fact, I've never heard of a protected sight gun with an XR3 grip frame, so this really makes sense.
Ruger just used the bulk of their leftover XR3 frames on their Single-Six production.
The box without catalog numbers on the end also brings up another point. Anybody ever see a transition gun (protected sight model) with 4-5/8" barrel and early box without catalog numbers? There probably are a few out there.
Chet15

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
The problem of finding a protected sight model with an uncatalogued box is probably no survival of the boxes, if they did exist at one time. It's a wonder this box survived with the shape it's in, particularly the bottom. My 42980 gun has it's original box and it's got the catalogue numbers on it.
HH