Faded O.M. plastic grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I have heard of some folks using RIT dye to re-color them. Never tried it myself. I prefer to leave them "as is" and accept the fact they aged normally.
But that color change is often caused by what types of light & how much light, (such as the sun) the grips see.

gunzo

Hunter
Thanks Ty, I agree. And come to think of it, I've read about the Rit at one time or another.

sometimes simply wiping the grips down with a good oil, we use 'RIG" on most guns that are handled often, and it will darken the polymers of the grip...as TY noted above it depends mainly on the ultraviolet lights and the LACK of ANY oils used to keep things from drying out..........we used to see this often on guns that would be hung on a wall , the grip facing out is lightened/faded. and the back one will still be dark......... 8) :roll: :wink:

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
You can also use black shoe dye (not shoe polish). It is usually found along with the shoe polishes and leather care items at a grocery store for just a few bucks. A lot easier than mixing up a batch of Rit. Make sure to wear gloves and cover any surfaces that might get splashed. It will stain somewhat seriously. Clean them first with a little household cleaner like Formula 409 and rinse with lukewarm water and blot dry. Use the applicator that is in the bottle and work it in with an old toothbrush.

gunzo

Hunter
Thanks again guys. I thought the answers I was getting sounded familiar, & then I saw a box of black rit on a shelf in the gun room. Seems I've broached this subject before.
I had some liquid G96 & decided to try a dab. Not a complete color transformation, but blended them a bit, & probably helped to moisten them up some. Good enough.

Brules

Single-Sixer
I've used RIT and it works very well and is easy to use. A trick to using RIT, add a 1/4 cup of vinegar to the water.