Factory Vs Lipsey

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
Yeah.....everybody rushed to buy the Lipseys guns thinking they were they only ones that were ever going to be in existence. As Gomer Pyle would say......SURPRISE...SURPRISE....SURPRISE !!!!!!

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
Cary, you overstate the situation when you say "everybody". I know one individual that bought one of the first ones because they were very good revolvers in a great chambering at a fair price. The fit and finish was above average, and the revolver has a really good trigger.

The fact they were overdue by 50+ years and it brings a smile to it's owner's face to think it would have been featured in Sixguns and praised by Keith as one of the finest sixguns ever made had it been on time was a feature he did not have to pay a penny for!

Dale53

Blackhawk
caryc;
Not be be argumentative, but your comments reflect 20/20 hindsight.

Like others, I waited 50 years for mine, it was a GREAT price and had everything I ever wanted in a single action .44 Special. It shoots up to it's billing and then some. When we ordered ours, we had NO idea whether or not they would ever be available again (for instance, the 624 S&W's, and the Colt Frontier SSA .44 Special, etc). Some become available and some do not. I bought an S&W Chief's Special Target (3" full underlug barrel and target sights) and they only made one run of those. I bought a 16-4 (6") S&W .32 Magnum (made 8800 of those and no more, etc). I could give you other examples but you get the idea.

So, I jumped when it was available. It has brought me nothing but pleasure and the price was RIGHT.

FWIW
Dale53

CraigC

Hawkeye
I think Cary may be referring to the speculators that bought them thinking they would be the only ones in existence who then boo-hoo'ed when they became a standard catalog item.

caryc

Hawkeye
I did not say that the people that bought the Lipseys guns were fools. People have been wanting this gun for a long time. The smiths have done a good business converting existing guns to .44 spec.

But I'll be a lot of people purchased them whether they could really afford them or not simply because they were suddenly available. No one had any idea that they would become a cataloged item with Ruger.

Still a good gun no matter which run you get.

caryc

Hawkeye
CraigC":2tnvml77 said:
I think Cary may be referring to the speculators that bought them thinking they would be the only ones in existence who then boo-hoo'ed when they became a standard catalog item.

Yes, very true, but like I said it's still a good gun and they can get they're money out of them.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Ravenn":2f3u7gbh said:
any difference in the two .44?
Thanx Ravenn

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Lipseys model Blackhawk is heavier (steel grip frame and ejector housing) than the factory catalogued .44 Spec Blackhawk (aluminum grip frame and ejector housing.) But I cannot remember how much heavier.

Other than that, I suspect they are the same.

caryc

Hawkeye
varminter22":1h8pu9hz said:
Ravenn":1h8pu9hz said:
any difference in the two .44?
Thanx Ravenn

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Lipseys model Blackhawk is heavier (steel grip frame and ejector housing) than the factory catalogued .44 Spec Blackhawk (aluminum grip frame and ejector housing.) But I cannot remember how much heavier.

Other than that, I suspect they are the same.

The cataloged .44 spec. is a flat top just like the Lipseys gun and has the steel New XR3 grip frame on it.

dougader

Hunter
Well, I did buy one in the off chance it might not be brought out as a cataloged item. I have never had anything in 44 Special previously. It was always 45 Colt in a single action... that, or a 32 HRM. I didn't have dies or ammo for the gun. I picked it up for a very fair price of $479. I inspected it and put it away. Never turned the cylinder or nuttin.

But I kept looking at it. And it looked really good, and it felt really good in the hand.

Now I have dies, bullets and brass... darn 44 Special bug got me. ;)

I love the medium frame. Had to get a Montado in 45 Colt.... and would get another in 44 Special if they were offered in that caliber... and if not, maybe I'll have to get one in 357 mag and have the wonderful 'smith-artisan in Houston rechamber it to 44 Special for me. :)

Dale53

Blackhawk
I got my .44 Lipsey Special just a few months before I got a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible.

I am a veteran handgunner (about sixty years with handguns) and it was interesting to me, from an "academic" standpoint to compare the two.

After I reamed both cylinders in the .45 (to .4525") and did a trigger job on both revolvers, they were on an even playing field.

They compare VERY favorably in about every criteria you could name. The reason they DO compare is the difference in frame sizes. The .44 Special "medium frame" enables serious hunting loads popularized by Elmer Keith and others. However, the .45 Colt in a "medium frame" (including the Colt SAA) is at a distinct disadvantage in that it cannot be safely loaded as hot as the .44 Special.

However, with the larger Ruger Blackhawk frame, this is no longer true and they become "power twins".

Then there is handling. I may be prejudiced a bit (it is difficult to be TOTALLY objective) but I prefer the handling of the medium frame. The difference is NOT great but it IS there.

Another great truth - they are both GREAT revolvers and anyone who does not realize this (there must be one or two out there) just have my sympathy. :mrgreen:

No, I will NOT be getting rid of either of them.

YMMV
Dale53

varminter22

Single-Sixer
caryc":261srh73 said:
The cataloged .44 spec. is a flat top just like the Lipseys gun and has the steel New XR3 grip frame on it.
Ah, so they ARE exactly the same. Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Maybe it's just my perception, maybe I just got lucky, but the fit and finish on my 2 Lipsey's 44 Specials seems better than other Ruger factory offerings I've bought or handled of late. And not just externally; that goes for the throat sizing/uniformity and barrel smoothness as well.

I have some older Vaqueros that are certainly as well made, but something about those Lipsey's just said that extra care was taken. Maybe they had a special assembly team working on them.

I'll be interested in seeing if the general factory models are the same. I want another one anyway, in stainless this time.

Vulcan Bob

Single-Sixer
I have a Lipseys in the 5 1/2 inch barrel and just last week got a production run in 4 5/8 inch. The two compare favorably with the exception that the Lipseys does seem to lock up a bit better and has a better trigger pull. Of course you can get these differences in one gun to the next in any production run. As far as accuracy between these two, none, both shoot very well!

estacado

Bearcat
I now have 3 Lipsey 44Specials, 2 x 4 5/8" and 1 x 5 1/2". That along with a 624, 24, and 21 S&W I m set with 44 Spcls for life. Waiting for the Rugers I had considered a conversion of a 50th Anniversary 357 by Clements. For the cost of the conversion I got the 2 short barrel versions. I traded for the 5 1/2", basically some ammo I had for the swap. Gunsmiths are not getting rich doing conversions, there are few rich gunsmiths. The new Cataloged 44 Spcl will die like the S&Ws did. We loonies scooped up the Limited run and Ruger will not sell the regular run like some might think. Look as the posts on the subject now compared with this time last year. I was waiting as were a lot of you for the Lipsey 44s. The posts were manic, now?????

Estacado

gak

Buckeye
QUOTE:
The new Cataloged 44 Spcl will die like the S&Ws did. We loonies scooped up the Limited run and Ruger will not sell the regular run like some might think. Look as the posts on the subject now compared with this time last year. I was waiting as were a lot of you for the Lipsey 44s. The posts were manic, now????? Estacado
------
I think it's just a natural but not fatal reaction. A lot of folks didn't think the .44 production would continue. That combined with the 50+ year wait led to a lot of focused enthusiasm. I think what we're seeing now is a normal evening out or ebb (that will also flow), and the economy isn't helping either in keeping frenzy up. I think (and hope) the .44 will be fine now that the sleepy have awakened. I still see and hear a lot of enthusiastic talk on the matter, and it's now out there in general circulation--"Who's making a .44 Special?" "Ruger single action." "Really? I want one"--not just on this forum. (But just look at the fact of this thread). Next up: c'mon New Vaquero!

estacado

Bearcat
I love the 44Spcl, have owned at least one since 1980. I hope the buying public discovers the magic of the 98% cartridge. It will do what any reasonable human being has a need for in a handgun. That is civilian use, military and police options are another matter. Though the neat little S&W 21 is a great combat revolver, everyone loves the Glock's and 40s and........ It is as good as a sane loaded 45 Colt, and runs close on the heels of the 44 Magnum again loaded at sane levels. Just because it doesn't blow the top strap off doesn't mean it is sane. If you think you need more, think 405 Winchester in a M1895 Winchester. The 2% it can't do are running on "stuntmode", or just because we can, should we really be doing this? I m 65 and have to pay attention closer. Hope Ruger hits a home run and the two generations behind me discover this jewel.

Estacado

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Well, the Lipsey's gun taught me to love the .44 Special cartridge, and my acquisition of a S&W Lew Horton 624 only deepened the infatuation. If Ruger or one of the distributors puts out a stainless Bisley version I may get that, too.

I doubt the guns will "die" as described above, mainly because it's the largest caliber you can get in a mid frame gun. But only time will tell.

-- Sam

M'BOGO

Buckeye
How many .30 Carbine Blackhawks does Ruger sell a year? It's been in production for 40+ years. Granted the .44 is the only model in this frame platform. I hope to get my sweaty hands on another. I hope it has a long life.