Factory Ammo for Concealed Carry, 38 Sp, LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fountain E. Conner

Single-Sixer
Finally... Today I tried Remington 158 gr LHP +P (from Bass Pro Shop), and I'm thrilled with it. It hits where it's aimed. And it's really accurate. I have found my "carry" load! I'd prefer a SJHP, but haven't found any locally.

My LCR shoots where it's aimed with 158 gr bullets. Hollow points group tighter than flat or round-nosed. Lighter weight bullets all shoot low.

From now-on I'm sticking with 158 grain bullets for my LCR. It likes them.

I'll shoot-up everything else I have in my Dan Wesson snubnose 357 magnum. It eats anything and is accurate with any load I've run thru it. Unfortunately it weighs slightly less than an anvil, and is 'way too big for pocket carry.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Fountain, for a long time I've been a fan of the the old 158 grain lead flat point +P loads from Remington and Federal. Unfortunately, the Federal load is long discontinued and when you can find a box of the Remington it'll set you back more than $30.00. 5.6 grains of Accurate #5 and a commercial or home cast 158 grain flat point slug duplicates this fine old load for less than $5.00 a box- even cheaper if you make your own bullets. They clock 860 fps out of my 4" Service Six, Remington and Federal factory load data claimed 850 fps.

I'm a big .38 Special fan and have no hesitations about using it for defense. I think a big, heavy lead slug with a flat nose is the penultimate bullet for this fine old cartridge. PM me or post if I can help you with anything .38 Special related.

Bunk40

Bearcat
Fountain,
Do you have any trouble with barrel leading with the all-lead 158 grain bullets? If so, how do you get rid of the leading?

Fountain E. Conner

Single-Sixer
Bunk40 said:
Fountain,
Do you have any trouble with barrel leading with the all-lead 158 grain bullets? If so, how do you get rid of the leading?

Too soon to tell. I've fired no more than 200 rounds of lead bullets thru my LCR. Have shot over 1000 rounds of semi-jacketed flat and hollow points tho', with no noticable problem.

I've fired thousands of rounds of lead bullets thru my .45 ACP, with no noticable leading. I suspect that's a different breed of cat

Maybe we will hear from the reloaders on this... Please...

bennettfam

Single-Sixer
158gr .38+p LHP is tried and true. Other trendy loads come and go, and may well perform splendidly. But the FBI load has a documented track record of effectiveness from a snub nose gun.

tiger955

Bearcat
I have been carrying the same load for years in my 357 snub, and they do seem to shoot well. Thankfully, I have not had the opportunity to test their effectiveness on a bad guy yet, but from the many articles I've read I am fully confident they will do the job when needed as long as I do my part.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Buffalo Bore sells a 38spc in a 158gr SWC. Rim Rock bullets claim that BB uses their bullet for this load. So you could buy the Rim Rock bullets and load your own. http://www.rimrockbullets.net

Latest posts