Extractor caused burr in chamber

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tancred

Bearcat
At the range today my Mk IV 22/45 suddenly stopped feeding rounds. Looking at the rounds revealed a scrap mark along the case. After looking at the chamber breach, I found a burr had been created where the barrel's extractor cutout meets the chamber. It appears that the extractor had worn into the barrel cutout and created a burr that interfered with rounds feeding into the chamber. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

all depends on how bad the burr may be, or if there is material actually "missing" from prolonged pushing of the thin side into the chamber from an UNFITTED extractor........this is very easy to "fix", then fit the extractor..........
if material is "missing" then obviously it needs to be returned, under warranty, and the barrel would be replaced..........
if as noted above, someone put in an "aftermarket" extractor, it may NOT be covered under warranty, and you may have to pay for the work,,,,this is for the factory to determine.....good luck

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Can you post a picture? The extractor is spring activated and is supposed to be pushed to the right as the bolt moves fully forward. Can you move the extractor to the right with the bolt out of the receiver?

Tancred

Bearcat
It is the factory extractor. There is metal that has been worn away in the cutout area of the barrel. The material is so thin at the breach that the remaining barrel metal was actually pushed into the chamber area by the extractor. I've got the shipping label from Ruger and will send it back. Do you think I need to remove the Volquartsen trigger kit I put in it? I really don't want to mess with that again.

hittman

Staff member
Leave it like it is and you'll get it back in factory new condition.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Tancred said:
It is the factory extractor. There is metal that has been worn away in the cutout area of the barrel. The material is so thin at the breach that the remaining barrel metal was actually pushed into the chamber area by the extractor. I've got the shipping label from Ruger and will send it back. Do you think I need to remove the Volquartsen trigger kit I put in it? I really don't want to mess with that again.

That's very common, I've seen that same condition many times and have a couple Mark II's that have survived for 30 years like that. The metal is indeed pretty darn thin in that area, by design so the extractor can grab the case rim. If it will make you will feel better sending it back to Ruger, you WILL get the same answer.
If you do send it back to Ruger, remove your aftermarket parts. If you don't Ruger will and charge you for replacement factory parts. Your choice.

I guess some think that Ruger will replace the barrel? Don't bet on it. :lol:

Tancred

Bearcat
It goes back tomorrow. I don't see any other alternative but to replace the barrel. There is too much metal already worn away. But we shall see. Pretty disappointed as this was the pistol I intended to use for Steel Challenge matches.

Tancred

Bearcat
I'm happy to report that my pistol arrived with a new barrel and bolt. But I will keep an eye on the extractor to make sure it works properly.

valvestem

Bearcat
Good that they replaced the barrel. I did not see any alternative see any alternative except to keep on shooting it, and hope for the best. The extractor is designed to contact the area further inside the extractor slot to keep this from happening. Your extractor must have been different somehow.