Ever seen one of these......RoHM SAA/DA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rbertalotto

Bearcat
I was in a gun shop and it caught my eye.......Made in Germany by RoHM GMBH, 38 Special, single action AND Double action on a SAA frame.

For $50 I couldn't pass it up.............

DSC_3-vi.jpg

DSC_0001-vi.jpg

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I was just thinking about this idea the other day. This is quite interesting. A DA revolver with the look of a SA. Purists would cringe at the thought, but I like it, myself.

I wonder if there are any other manufacturers who have produced a similar configuration. Does anybody know?

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
We have had a coupel of them in for work in the shop I work in. They are decently built but hope you don't have to find parts for one. They are apparently made of unobtainium. The ones we worked on we had to make the parts for. Steve

rbertalotto

Bearcat
This one was a mess. The barrel is press fit and it was so lose you couldn't shoot it for fear of the barrel flying off. I drove out the barrel pin and removed it and knurled the extension and then used my press to reinstall it. I drilled out the barrel pin and installed one a couple thou larger. Tightened up real nice. Then I took it all apart and coated everything with KG GunKote. As it is mostly made of alloys, you couldn't blue it.

The only steel parts are the cylinder, lock works and the barrel. Everything else is alloy (aluminum?)

Notice the locks on the cylinder are nothing more than a fine slot.

I loaded up some starting load 38 Specials and went to the range. It "groups" about 12" at 25 feet...........So I loaded a few at about 'half power" and the groups shrunk to about 6" at 25'.......

At that point I declared it "good enough" and put it away.......

A great conversation piece.

I've not seen any other SAA/DA revolvers in all my travels and collecting.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
In the late Sixties / early Seventies, High Standard made several models that were a single action with a swing out cylinder like a normal double action. They all had the look of a Colt SAA, and were about the same frame size of a Ruger Single Six. Some models were blued, some nickeled, with various different grips, different barrel lengths, et cetera. The one I owned was a blued version, faux stag grips, about a 5 inch barrel, and was called a Double Nine. One model with a very long barrel (9 - 10 inches) was nickeled, and was called a Longhorn. All models were 22 cal rimfire, and the cylinder held nine shells. What one would expect to be the ejector rod was actually the control you pulled on (not pushed as you would expect) to swing open the cylinder for loading / reloading.

rbertalotto

Bearcat
I just found this with a Google search.... (Auction Arms web site)

Seller's Description:

INTRODUCTION:

I have a collection of nine Rohm model 63's. Each one will appear in a separate auction listing on this auction site until sold. Two in .32 caliber, one in .22 caliber and six in .38 caliber. This introduction will appear in each listing. I have collected these because of the novelty of having a cowboy style frame in a caliber higher than a .22 (except for one of these). Traditionally, cowboy (or Western) style revolvers have been single-action because that was the prevailing technology in the old west. So from a nostalgia standpoint, these single-action revolvers have endured. However, if I was going to need a revolver in self-defense, you could bet that I would want a double- action with a sweet trigger. Well, that is what the Rohm 63 is. Except for the High Standard double action revolvers in .22 caliber and the Colt Thunderer and Lightning double actions in higher calibers, I do not know of any other double action revolvers in cowboy style frame. The Colt revolvers were made around 1900 and if there are in good shape they are bringing high prices as collector pieces. But they would not be desirable as shooters. Having said that, I collected and had a top gunsmith mechanically rework all nine of these Rohm revolvers. They have been completely disassembled, cleaned, deburred, adjusted, bad parts replaced, lubed and reassembled.

Rohm was a German manufacturer whose guns were imported by a number of companies such as RG Industries of Miami and Liberty Arms of California. They were famous for their cheap .22 Saturday night specials. These model 63 revolvers were engineered pretty well and given proper ammo and care, they are quite serviceable. The most common problem reported has been problems with owners shooting high pressure ammo in them. These should have standard pressure ammo only. High pressure ammo has caused some to have their barrels jarred to the point of being slightly loose where they are joined to the frame. We saw some of this in rebuilding them. All such barrels were refitted and re-pinned with oversized pins. But the design of the revolver is really very good. The gun is alloy frame with steel cylinder, steel barrel and a very sweet double action trigger. The pictures are pretty clear so you can see the features well. If you like the nostalgia of a cowboy style revolver, but would like a double-action with a sweet trigger, this might be just what you are looking for.

ITEM DESCRIPTION:

Reserve: $240

Serial: 085245

Brand: Liberty Firearms Montrose CAL

Manufacturer: Rohm GMBH Sontheim BRZ Made in Germany

Model: 63

Caliber: 38 Special

Action: Double/Single

Shot: 6

Barrel Length: 6"

Finish: Blue

Frame: Alloy

Cylinder: Steel

Barrel: Steel

Grips: Black Plastic

Appearance: Average, Used, Scratches on Right Side of Frame

77a24c6c653b0c5565affff2c124e78b.jpg

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Interesting gun for sure.

I have a H&R 22 that looks like a SA but is a double. It was my first hand gun, a Model 950. They made several models, all in 22lr or convertible 22lr and 22 mag.

One time several years ago a guy told me he had a Ruger 22 for sale. He wanted $50 for it. I told him I would take it sight un-seen. Turned out to be an RG. Not much difference there... :shock:

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I worked in a gun shop back in about 1986. Once in a great while we'd have someone come in and ask if we had any RG handguns (usually recommended by a friend).

We only had one. We kept it behind the counter as proof of why the store didn't sell them. The top strap and top half of the cylinder were gone, and it reportedly happened with standard pressure factory loads.

I'm sure they're mostly ok for light load plinkinig and such, but I don't consider them very useful for any kind of serious handgun shooting. They stand as an example of the ultimate in "cheap", and should be loaded accordingly.

Seriously, I'd have no problem passing one up in mint condition with a price on it of $5.00. I like having both of my hands, and I value my eyes as well.

Daryl

Pinecone

Blackhawk
AZRebel is "spot" on! Proper steel composition and heat treatment are virtually "non-existant" on RG revolvers. They are ticking time bombs and the proverbial "Saturday Night" special! I personally refused to work on or sell "any" RG's when in business because of the cheap product and gross "liability" issue. They were thrown on the American market to target the unsuspecting buyer short on funds, thinking they were getting a "bargain" because of their "German" origin. Don't "mistake" these for Mauser's or Walther's! Another "similiar" product to stay away from is the German SA "Schmidt" revolver in .357 Magnum..................Dick :idea:

AKGrouch

Bearcat
I bought one of those back in the late 70's at a gun show I had a table at. I paid $15 for it cuz it was in a nice holster (what I really wanted). I then took my prize home at the end of the show, took the holster :D and put in my stache of good stuff, took the metal piece of wonderfulness outside and crushed it with my wood splitting maul. It was so crappy in quality that you could take the front sight and turn it 360 degrees around the barrel if you tried hard enough. And yes, the genuine imitation ivory grips fell under the maul too.... :twisted:

HOGHEAD2

Single-Sixer
I also like Big Muddy had a H&R double action .22 model 949-held 9 rounds,had loading gate,ejector rod,half cock to rotate cylinder.Looked just like a single six,but grip was awkward.It was my trapping gun for many years-wish i had kept it.............

RobW

Bearcat
As far as I know, Röhm is the manufacturer of (real steel) press drill chucks which work fine.

The "arms" produced by them, and a company, named "Arminius" are ment to fire BLANKS or tear gas, not rounds with a bullet. For some time, everybody over 18 in Germany could buy "blank firing arms" and blanks, but never the real thing without jumping a lot of red tape (a hunter's license may take up to 2 years in evening school and a lot of voluntary work out in the field).