Engraved Ruger 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

swampdonkey

Bearcat
This is my first post on this forum so forgive me if I missed this info posted somewhere else. I have noticed alot of talk about the numbering order of the 1 of 100 1911's. I have one of these pistols and also have a standard Ruger 1911. I took the "special" one apart to inspect it and noticed something under the slide thats not on the standard. It has the serial #, what looks like someones initials and a circled number five engraved under the slide. I know Barron did these guns for Ellett Bros. I was thinking maybe this was a way Barron numbered them, since Ruger sent them 100 guns in no particular order. Anybody else got one of these guns and noticed that under the slide?

swampdonkey

Bearcat
Here's a link for some pic's. I hope it works.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/swampdonkey13/188.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/swampdonkey13/185.jpg

Chris

Blackhawk
Nice pictures, from what I understand the slide and barrel nut are milled from the same block of steel and are paired to the gun through out it's production life. I am assuming the same is true with the frame in this case as the slide is annotated with the serial number of the frame and probably the assembler initial, again through its production life and hand fitted.
In either case that some nice hardware you have there, how long do you have them, cant get any up here in the Northeast

swampdonkey

Bearcat
I got the standard one on May 31 2011. The date on the fired casing is May 10 2011. The 1 of 100 gun I bought on Feb. 9 2012. Its fired casing date is Oct. 21 2011. I dont think either of these guns has received any kind of hand fitting though. The standard gun has no other markings anywhere other than the normal stuff. My question was about the 1 0f 100 guns slide. I was wondering if anybody else that has one of these pistols has looked under their slide for markings. Thanks for the compliments. I do feel pretty lucky having both of these guns.

bobf

Bearcat
Mine has 0672 which is the S/N, the same E11 as yours and a circled 1. The Colt 1 of 100 has the S/N and the E11,

Bob

swampdonkey

Bearcat
Thank you bobf. That is what I was wanting to know. So o.k. now, I get the S/N being on the slide so it gets back on the right frame. I would assume that you have the #1 gun and mine would be #5. What is the E11? I had the choice between the Ruger and one of the Colts. I didn't really care for the gold inlay on the Colt, plus it was $1500. I got my Ruger for right at $1000. Congats to you for having two very nice guns. And thanks for the info on your Ruger.

bobf

Bearcat
The E11 could be ELL since it was done by hand with a vibro-peen or whatever they are called and done for the Ellet brothers distributors.

It would be nice if mine was #1 but I'm not counting on it. I was glad to get both, I also got the S&W Governor. I should pull the grips and see if it is marked too.

Bob

swampdonkey

Bearcat
That would make sense about the ELL. I'd say that what it is. Baron told me on the phone that Ruger sent them the guns "in no particular order" so if you take the S/N's out of it, it seems like those circled #'s would be about the only way to tell any kind of order in which they were done. In my head I see all the slides lined up getting lasered one after another, like an assembly line. If your gun was the first one they did, then yours would be #1 to me. I saw S/N 127 for sale online. I'd like to know what # was under that slide. Thats the lowest # I've seen. For all intensive purposes though I would say that I know who has the #1 gun if somebody asked me. And that would be you.

martyj

Blackhawk
Mine is e11 circled 8
At least the slides are numbered to the frame and no casting voids :lol:

wapiti22

Blackhawk
Chris said:
Nice pictures, from what I understand the slide and barrel nut are milled from the same block of steel and are paired to the gun through out it's production life. I am assuming the same is true with the frame in this case as the slide is annotated with the serial number of the frame and probably the assembler initial, again through its production life and hand fitted.
In either case that some nice hardware you have there, how long do you have them, cant get any up here in the Northeast

Whats a "barrel nut" ? All my 1911"s have bushings

The Wall

Single-Sixer
A barrel nut is someone that goes crazy over barrels. I can't believe you didn't know that.

bobf

Bearcat
RugerHound said:
I should have one of the "100" in hand shortly. I'll be interested to see what it's got on the slide.

Did you get yours yet? If so what was the number on the slide?

Thanks
Bob