Elmer and John Taffin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Sad that the previous hunt had ended, sixshot, Doc, and I still had something to look forward to. Due to Docs luggage going on its own sightseeing tour of the US, we originally were going to stop at the Boise Cabelas to visit Elmer, and then have dinner with Mr. Taffin, and his wonderful wife, Dot. A meal of stuffed peppers and cake was missed. However, where there is a will, there is a way! On the return trip, we were able to make both stops.

Seeing the dean of all gun writers, Elmer's display at Cabelas is most impressive. Seeing his guns, trophies, pictures, and life like talking wax figure is about as close as you can get to an actual visit with the feisty gun guru, packer, guide, and rancher. The three of us have seen this display before, but each time you notice something different.

Here is the talking wax figure of Elmer's likeness.

This picture has a special meaning in two ways. First is the look of exhaustion on Elmer's face as he packs out a trophy head. After humping the hills of Idaho all week, I totally understand. Second, look at his backpack.

The same backpack from the previous picture of Elmer. Pretty simple and crude.

You can't visit Elmer without taking a picture of his famed #5. I tried my best to get a good picture.

After Elmer's visit, it was off to Mr. Taffins for a visit. Dick and Mike have met Mr. Taffin before, but It was a first for me, and I felt quit honored and fortunate to be able to meet him in person at his home. 30 years ago, I discovered Elmer, and stumbled across Handgunner, and Guns magazine. This one writer always seemed to write about the virtues, guns, bullets, and history of Elmer. I was hooked, and have had subscriptions to those magazines, just for the articles Mr. Taffin wrote about Elmer. He has carried the torch and passed on the knowledge and interest of Elmer in a banner way.

Arriving at Mr. Taffins home, one notices two things. The mounted trophies on the walls, and the shelves full of books. Also, a sprinkling of miniature Santa Clauses.

Dick and Doc admiring some of Mr. Taffins trophies.

More trophies.

See that branch in the Muley's antlers? It is from the very tree Elmer used to lean against, while doing long range six gunning from his ranch. A friend gave it to Mr. Taffin.

After a quick, introduction, it was off to lunch. Something about sixgunners and Mexican food that seem to go hand in hand. Mr. Taffin treated us, there was no bickering, as he made it clear he was buying! Then it was to the local pawn shop where Mr. Taffin picked up a new gun, and back to his home for more conversation. It was an enjoyable afternoon, and one that I will not forget. Thanks for keeping the flame alive, and passing down the history, traditions, and values of a six gunner, Mr. Taffin !

Mr. Taffin and I, in front of his buffalo.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
I forgot to add that Dot had left out some home made frosted cinnamon buns with raisons for us, as she ran some errands. Dick and I watched Doc eat the majority of them. Like most six gunners, we tend to marry up, and Mr. Taffin is no exception. Dot exemplifies the western woman with her charm and denim dress and hanging turquoise ear rings that she was wearing. She is a true gem and Mr. Taffin knows it!

One of my fondest memories is eating dinner with Zeus, JT and Mrs. Dot then spending hours visiting in their home. You will NOT find two more down to earth and hospitable people in this world.

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I have been partial to Mr. Taffin's writings, he has done an excellent job of keeping readers who are partial to revolvers in mind while quite a few others have gone on to polymer framed wonders. He sure has some beautiful trophies in his house.

Joe S.

Hunter
SO... JEALOUS...

Man I would LOVE to meet Mr. Taffin. He is one of the few gun writers I love reading. For the reasons Mr. LaPell mentioned.

snappy

Single-Sixer
Great story and photos, thanks for sharing this. Mr. Taffin's home looks like it would be full of grand stories as well. Out of curiosity what was the gun he picked up that day?

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
snappy, Mr. Taffin was picking up a new Winchester 1873 in .357, I believe for an article he was working on.