Elephant Ivory grip panels?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
How do you determine if a set of grips are actual ivory? Is there something you are looking for that makes them Ivory versus another substance? I know the medallion staking helps to determine if they are factory or not but I have a hard time determining if they are actually ivory to begin with even before I get to the staking. A friend owns these and asked me to assist with determining what they are and to me one looks like Ivory and the other looks like plastic. I just don't know how to tell for sure.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_6370[1].JPG

IMG_6371[2].JPG

IMG_6372[1].JPG

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
They look pretty good to me. The grain is evident in the butt, more so on the left panel (top). The slight void inside one grip is likely from the natural material on hand. Medallions are well staked. Looks like the medallion on the right panel is a bit proud which is sometimes the case due to thin material. Originals were numbered in pencil but usually on both grips so that is a little concerning. Right grip locator pin hole looks double drilled but at least not duplicate holes from reworking Colt grips. I'd say 75% chance of them being good, with more due diligence needed.

twriggen

Single-Sixer
Taryn did the heated pin test on them, and she said they smell just like the pair I bought from Steve in Tulsa last year. So as long as those are real then it smells like these are too. Pressures on Steve. I'll drag them with me to OGCA in July to get some additional opinions on them.

same here they look pretty good to me, grain through the bottom,,,,,,, medallions "not" too perfect locations , only a test of the "heated pin" as well as the "heft" ( feel) as ivory is 'dense', heavy to the 'feel' and my wife always tested with a tap on her teeth, something about ivory and fine china.....(she's usually right too) Ha Ha maybe Grandma WAS right, "an old wives tale"..:unsure:

aciera

Bearcat
Those grips look very good. Almost "too good" ! But I suspect they are real ivory by the info provided.
That can happen.
I have a couple of sets of Persinger stocks for Bisleys done in the mid 80s. Very little grain at all. A well informed friend thought they weren't ivory. Till I told him the age.
Good ivory has gotten crazy.

I've heard of the pin test also.

A while back I found a carved little piece that I thought was Ivory. It looks Asian. But I did the pin test and it wouldn't burn at all. Not plastic and not Ivory.

Turns out it's actually White Jade. Pretty cool really.

Taryn did the heated pin test on them, and she said they smell just like the pair I bought from Steve in Tulsa last year. So as long as those are real then it smells like these are too. Pressures on Steve. I'll drag them with me to OGCA in July to get some additional opinions on them.
Hey, No pressure here!
If you don't like them I will take them back I picked up another Flat Top they will go on & they are the real deal.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you got them from Steve,, I'd not worry about them.

My comment about them looking "too good" was due to the fact they are in such NICE shape & darn near perfect. Not even any aging of the color. A very stunning set for sure.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Funny story, my first set of ivories came along 20+ years ago, probably 2002. I saw an XR3 round gate Single Six in about 75% condition on GunsAmerica with white grips advertised with no fanfare. Since they had Ruger medallions, I took the chance and bought the gun. It was something like $290 shipped! Grips checked out and were blessed by JD as legit factory ivory. I kept the grips and sold the gun for about what I paid.

Latest posts