Information on the changes in Ruger grip medallions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A comment from CHET15 regarding pre- and post-1966 medallions differences has made me realize that medallion history is one area in which I am lacking knowledge, is there a good resource for the different medallions history, i.e. from Red Eagle to Black Eagle to different black eagle to Eagle with "SR", etc etc….sure would be something that I would appreciate.

For example today I was wondering about the solid hard rubber (butaprene) grip panels for the standard pistol/Mk I and when they grips themselves changed and if they had more than one version of the black Eagle medallions….

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I also am very interested in the history of the medallions, and have been acquiring a small collection I would like to add to. This thread was the best info I could get about different versions

here is a picture that was out there some years ago, author unknown but a big thank you........( maybe Bob L or 'flatgate'???) or off some ones Ruger display??

WvsD9NJl.jpg

and of course the "infamous" Bob Campbells "squashed chicken" medallions like pictured above from the early 70s.......

Attachments

• squashedmedallion.JPG
    squashedmedallion.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I remember that picture. I do think it was Flatgate who posted it.

There are a few minor variations in the "squashed chickens" in that some are much more squashed than the enlarged picture.
And if my memory is correct,, there is a little difference in the early "skinny neck" 50's era ones, as noted by Chad in the comb of the bird.

But one thing to remember,, the 1967 ones,, note the neck feathers. Those were a shorter timeframe of use.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a write-up on the different medallions in my stuff somewhere. I may have to dig it out. I don't recall it having pictures to match though.