Ejector Rod Run Out?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45colt68

Bearcat
Question:

How much is acceptable? My security six locks up into battery accuracy superb timing superb. Yoke pushes out from frame slightly on two chambers. Revolver has been to Ruger for reconditioning. Ruger left it this way, so am assuming it's within specs. Greatly appreciate your opinion, regards, Harry.

PS. Researched smithing section, differing opinions.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
I don't really understand your questions. Are you worried about your ejector rod run out, or your cylinder end play? One or two thousanth's end play is ok I believe. As long as the front of your cylinder is not banging on the forcing cone when you push it back into the frame, you should be good to go. Shoot the fire out of it and have fun!

45colt68

Bearcat
Texas Wheel Gunner,
Thanks for your response. Reinforces what I thought. Regards, Harry.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
45colt68, still not really sure of your concerns but thought I would add that you need between .003" and .006" cylinder gap. These measurements would be ideal; some manufacturers stretch the outside limit to .008" and even .010" cylinder gap as a norm.

If you need to know how to properly measure this gap, I can, or there are many other experts on this forum that can explain how you can do that (if you don't already know).

Harry Dinwiddie :D

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
What is actually meant by "ejector rod runout"? Technically runout checks whether the ejector rod is bent. Cylinder end play is completely different. You will need your automotive feeler gauges. Measure both b/c gap in front and headspace in back. Then post those measurements.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Carry_Up said:
What is actually meant by "ejector rod runout"? Technically runout checks whether the ejector rod is bent. ...........

I think that this is the OP's original question: how "bent" is OK? On the Security Sixes (as well as S&W's) the only locking of the front of the cylinder is the "dimple" in the end of the ejector rod mating with the "nub" on the barrel. (To me, the new style crane locking lug of the GP and SP series are one of their best features.)

His ejector rod is bent enough that it causes the yoke to push out from the frame on two chambers.

Back in the 1980's, I had the same problem. My ejector rod had enough "runout" that you could see it with the naked eye. My attempt to fix it was to purchase several new (from Ruger) ejector rods. Of the two or three from Ruger, only one was straighter than the one installed on my revolver - and it was "dead" straight. So, 30 years or so later, my Security Six is still wearing that one and doing fine.

So, how bent is too bent? I do not know, but my choice would be "no bend", if possible. OP says his shoots fine with some amount of bend, so that has to be the ultimate test. But it would bug me knowing that it was not straight, and the yoke was being forced out.

Not sure if bent ejector rods can be satisfactorily straightened or not, but I think I would round up a few used ones and see if any were any better than what I had. And if not, I would "experiment" with getting one of the rods straightened, either by a Gunsmith or some home brew methods.

Edited to add: I just checked http://www.gunpartscorp.com, and they have stainless steel ejector rods for about $6.

Also, here is a tool at Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/crane-tools/extractor-rod-yoke-alignment-tool-prod9846.aspx?clickid=wGPyYxww7RBeXwt1VwWqh2VhUkWSBi1d3W590w0&aid=27795&source=ir&ch=aff) for checking and straightening Security Six and S&W ejector rods.

jgt

Buckeye
This is usually caused by mall ninjas opening the cylinder, manually spinning it and flipping it closed like they see ignorant actors do in the movies. It is pure murder to the gun but actors think it makes them look like they know what they are doing. The tools to correct the ones that are not too badly bent can be purchased from Brownell's.