Educate Me About the Single Six "Safety" Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but a six shot revolver's only loaded w/ five when I've got it holstered--SA's, w/ or w/o transfer bars, and DA's alike. I figure it's easier to have a "universal" habit than make the mistake of "forgetting" which gun gets carried "how."

I think I picked this up in a warning from a HS buddy's Dad, who'd managed to put four round scars on his right leg in an incident P90's story brought to mind. Bullet went in the top of the thigh, out above the knee, back in the calf, out above the ankle. He was very lucky: it missed all the bones and important tendons, ligaments and such!

Rick C

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
bspitt said:
what about the new models or old ones with the transfer bar installed...do any of you guys still practice "hammer down on an empty round"?

I have OMs, NMs, and converted OMs. It is much simpler to carry five in all than try to remember which one I'm carrying and how many shots are available.

Jack

encore4me

Bearcat
My cousin dropped his single six and it went off. Went up through his but cheek and lodged in his hip. I work in a hospital and we had an accidental shooting, when I went in to talk to the patient the local LE were there questioning him. They would not believe that dropping a gun would cause it ti go off like that. I went to the computer and printed off the information about Rugers and gave it to the LE officer. We then asked the guy what kind of gun it was and he told them it was a Ruger Single Six. They were going to take him in for more questioning had I not produced the information.

Matt

Hondo44

Hawkeye
encore4me said:
My cousin dropped his single six and it went off. Went up through his but cheek and lodged in his hip. I work in a hospital and we had an accidental shooting, when I went in to talk to the patient the local LE were there questioning him. They would not believe that dropping a gun would cause it ti go off like that. I went to the computer and printed off the information about Rugers and gave it to the LE officer. We then asked the guy what kind of gun it was and he told them it was a Ruger Single Six. They were going to take him in for more questioning had I not produced the information.

Matt

Matt I applaud you for your action! Unfortunately it has become woefully apparent that Law Enforcement is not only generally ignorant about firearms, but even more eggregious is that they are more ignorant about firearms laws. We citizens have to study up to stay out of trouble, they don't and often offend legal gun owners in this area. Their training has to be overly focused on being politically correct these days.