Early ruger security six info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ozarkhawg

Bearcat
I bought this one not long ago off of cdnn and really need a insurance replacement cost. 150-00078 NIB set aside "saved" as most first 100 serial digits where. I know I upped the value of all 4" blued early low back security six when I bought it. The box is paper looks to have aged and what was once white is now brown. Red stamp on end of box identifying it as "SECURITY-SIX RDA-34" former handling of safe queen status has not been kind to the box prior to it coming into my collection. Gun however is pristine with no cylinder turn what so ever, it is quite stunning given its age and very much in need of a factory letter. Any ideas for insurance replacement cost?

Thank you

https://imgur.com/gallery/TqsLwYi
https://i.imgur.com/Ip0wGrd.jpg

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Excellent finish on that specimen. Congrats!

I've shot 10s of thousands of rounds out of my 1979 vintage Sec Six. Still looks, feels and shoots like it's right out of the box.

Bayou42

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually, the low serial numbered guns (up to 500) were set aside for the Subscription Program that Ruger had in place back then. You have a 2-digit gun, and as such, it would have been set aside for the person who had subscription #78. A 2-digit,,, NIB, is desirable, and as such, I'd add at least $200-$300 over & above "normal" early low back Security-Six guns. But to be safe for insurance purposes,, I'd value it at $1000.00 to cover it best.

Nice, NICE gun. Hard to find 2 digit NIB guns nowadays, you did good. Even thought the box is not in pristine condition, it is still an original box and as such does add value to your RDA-34. For insurance, I would also go with $1000 value.

Absolutely get the factory letter, it could give you insight to who might have been the #78 subscriber.

When you get the letter (and it may take some time to get it in these uncertain times) let us know what it tells about your Security Six - those of us who collect them will want to know.

chet15

Hawkeye
Sounds like the #150-00078 was probably one of quite a few that were involved with Ruger's warehouse cleaning a few years ago. Ruger stockpiled these things even though certain numbers never had anybody "subscribing" to them or if the past subscriber and passed away.
Williams got quite a few two and three digit guns probably 15 years ago as did Davidson's. The RDA-34's were the oldest guns in that warehouse cleaning.
If a factory letter were to be had on this gun, I would bet that if it does come back as being shipped post 2000, the letter will not have a "subscribers" name as the recipient, but either "Williams Shooter Supply" or Davidson's.
Chet15

Ozarkhawg

Bearcat
Thank you for the help, should have questioned why Cdnn never showed pictures of the box and just the gun. As a two digit It was going into someone's collection, glad it is in my safe queen stash. Think I will go to 2,000 on replacement value, I can not recall seeing very many nib security six low backs. I trust y'all opinion but if the house burns down the insurance agent is going to want to settle for 75- 80% of the firearms policy value anyway. Built in wiggle room makes those negotiations less painful.

Ozarkhawg

Bearcat
Sorry should have included this for the history lesson concerning this one, my apologies. When I won the auction I harassed Cdnn into a letter of provenance given they claimed "NIB, 2 digit & it sat in the ruger vaults". Link to letter says "received on September 5,1997 from Sile Distributors which was a dealer/importer in Meriden, Connecticut."
https://imgur.com/gallery/PDmETl3

In spite of the box condition, it is more scarce than the gun itself. I have owned only two of these boxes in my lifetime. These mostly untreated boxes were not expected to last the nearly 50 years that this one has.

I have a weakness for low-backs. Value? I was thinking originally, $900 if I was buying, $700 if I was selling. My marketing skills are often backwards. :?

Another hundred bucks for the box.

Great catch.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
That's beautiful. I have my old Service-Six I carried when I first went into law enforcement in the middle 1970s, my serial number is more than 43000 higher, although it is a different model.