Early Old Model 45 Colt throats ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Spillway

Bearcat
During the period of the early Old Model 45 Colt was the throat oversized ? I thought there was an era that the 45 Colt had seriously oversized throats .

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
NONE of my OM 45 BH revolvers have oversized throats, quite the opposite actually. And both of 'em, a 4 5/8" 45/45 and a 7 1/2" 45 shoot like a million bucks. The first five test rounds out of the 45ACP cylinder took the X, the X ONLY, right out of the X-ring leaving a single fat-nickle sized hole dead center. THAT was my end of the load develope for that cartridge in that delightful sixgun.

Rclark

Hunter
Interesting... I always understood too that three screw OM .45 Colt BHs had oversized throats too. One of the reasons I've not pursued getting an OM. I don't have one so can't say.... Live and learn :) .

Every one I've had featured UNDERSIZED throats. This produced leading in both the throats and forcing cone and barrel.

Reaming them to 0.4525" solved that matter.

:mrgreen:

Rclark

Hunter
Good to know! Thanks guys. Undersized is great as it can be 'corrected'. Now to just run across one sometime :) as I do like the Old Model action and the .45 Colt. So it is looking like Ruger never did have over-sized .45 Colt throats. They were always 'under sized'.....

gman45

Bearcat
I've got an early Bisley with .455 throats. Not an old model but just shows it happened.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
Mike Venterino wrote an article with Hank Williams JR in the 1992 magazine called "Book of the 45" that had an article about 45 Colt reloading and they specifically mentioned oversize throats in a few Blackhawks but that was years ago. However like most firearms related things the bad gets grossly over reported almost to the point it makes some people gun hypochondriacs, they listen enough to the couple folks that have problems they start thinking their gun is effected!.

If you find yourself with one just call Ruger and I am sure they would repair it to your liking.

princeout

Blackhawk
One of our custom smiths gave me an OM 45 cylinder with grossly oversized throats for me to practice my black powder chamfer file work. Seems like they were about 0.457". My OM 45 has good throats, but it has a rechambered OM SBH cylinder and I swapped the OM 45 cylinder for some nice walnut grips (see avatar). I have one more on the way later this week and I'll check it out.
Tim

edlmann

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:
With Ruger, never say "never" . . . or "always" . . .

My 1974 new model (46-107XX)(note the old model cylinder features on the left) has uniform 0.454" throats.

nmbh45rears.jpg

The ACP cylinder has been modified to use .45AR.

LAH

Buckeye
I have a 1973 NM in which a .454 will push through with a bit of effort. My 1976 NM is the same as is a 45 ACP cylinder of unknown year.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
My pre warning NM has .455" throats and shoots cast bullets sized .454" quite well. Ruger .45 chambers are overly generous as well and can tend to bulge cases...

Why John Linebaugh (and others) can properly dimension a .45 LC Ruger but Ruger themselves cannot is beyond me... :roll:

Latest posts