dry fire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lucky57

Bearcat
Hi new here I was wonding if it is okay to dry fire my new 1911 CMD without snap caps

Snake45

Hawkeye
Absolutely, as long as it doesn't have a .22LR conversion on it.

I've never heard of a 1911 breaking a firing pin, and they have been dry-fired TRILLIONS of times over the last century. :shock: :wink:

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Plus one on Snake's comments...I"ve been shooting & and dry firing them for right at a half century now with nary a single broken firing pin, nor any measurable wear in the firing pin channel. Rod (And as Snake pointed out, I do not dry fire ANY .22 lr without a snap cap in place.)

dakota1911

Buckeye
Yes, dryfire away and enjoy it. Gives me something to do while watching TV most of the times.

Careful. I blew out the family TV with my "UNLOADED" Red Ryder BB gun when I was a kid. I was shootin' at charging lions in a Tarzan movie IIRC. :shock: Didn't see that BB gun for a long, long time. :oops: :cry: :roll:

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
steveodtw said:
Careful. I blew out the family TV with my "UNLOADED" Red Ryder BB gun when I was a kid. I was shootin' at charging lions in a Tarzan movie IIRC. :shock: Didn't see that BB gun for a long, long time. :oops: :cry: :roll:
Glad to hear I am not the only one to do this! Only mine was a Daisy pump shooting the tire of a bad guy's car.

scottl

Bearcat
y2k-fxst said:
steveodtw said:
Glad to hear I am not the only one to do this! Only mine was a Daisy pump shooting the tire of a bad guy's car.
Mine was the sliding glass patio door.I saw no reason why I couldn't set cans up on both ends.Shoot one bunch then walk out set them back up then shoot the others.

accessbob

Bearcat
Rodfac said:
I do not dry fire ANY .22 lr without a snap cap in place.)
If you had a Beretta NEOS U22, you can fire away without any fear of it breaking or hitting the breech face. It is quite thick and in the manual it states that you can dry fire away with no problem.

Zorba

Bearcat
scottl said:
y2k-fxst said:
steveodtw said:
Mine was the sliding glass patio door.I saw no reason why I couldn't set cans up on both ends.Shoot one bunch then walk out set them back up then shoot the others.
Mine was a plate glass window. Daisy pump gun, walking (!!) towards my target, stumbled and the gun went off. That particular model Daisy would chamber TWO BBs the first time after loading - I had to show my dad the owner's manual to prove it 'cause he sure didn't grok why there were TWO holes in his window!

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
Rodfac said:
Plus one on Snake's comments...I"ve been shooting & and dry firing them for right at a half century now with nary a single broken firing pin, nor any measurable wear in the firing pin channel. Rod (And as Snake pointed out, I do not dry fire ANY .22 lr without a snap cap in place.)
Yeah, dry practice won't hurt a 1911. It's a great way to practice, and it's FREE (as long as your "empty" gun isn't loaded).

My Single Six manual states specifically that dry practice is OK.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Tweety Bird said:
lucky57 said:
Thanks I use the TV actors for targets.
Not a good idea.

It builds very, very bad habits.

I use politicians on TV ... You have no idea how many times the wicked witch of the west has bitten the dust. :D

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
Tweety Bird said:
lucky57 said:
Not a good idea.

I use politicians on TV ... You have no idea how many times the wicked witch of the west has bitten the dust. :D

REV
A botoxed forehead does give a nice, clean, sharp sight picture, doesn't it? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
bigboredad said:
Tweety Bird said:
lucky57 said:
Not a good idea.

How is that? Been doing for about thirty years I must only have bad habits
Yeah, and I've been driving for 40 years without a single accident. That doesn't mean I won't get killed in one tomorrow.

You guys go a head and practice shooting at your TV if you like. Some day, when you slip up and put a live one through the TV and the wall (and who knows what else), remember what I said about "bad habits".

You practice for one reason; to build habits. Good or bad, practice builds these habits. I don't care how good you say you are, using anything other than a TEMPORARY, dedicated target for dry practice, particularly in your home, is a very, very bad idea.

But you've been "shooting" your TV for 30 years; what do I know?

bigboredad

Blackhawk
You seem to know I have bad habits and it really bothers you and I hate so I promise no more shooting tv's