down to 4 1911 choices!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sebtool

Blackhawk
I'd been looking for awhile, ended up getting a SA loaded model online,used. I put in a lowball bid, didn't expect to get it, really.

I almost pulled the trigger on 1 from a little company in Tn., DGC custom Gunsmithing. For the $$$, it's almost a steal. Googled the company, seemed to be pretty legit.

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/Displ ... um=9580285

If a little cash frees itself up, I just may have to get 1 just to try them out. Might just be a diamond in the rough!

revhigh

Hawkeye
Let me know what you find out. I don't think I'd buy a frankengun from an unknown company without a personal endorsement from someone who already owned one.

Not only that, it may be a good shooter, but it's ugly, and I hate the arched mainspring housing, ESPECIALLY with a long (and really ugly) trigger like the gun has. If I couldn't shoot it first or hear from somebody who owns one, I think I'd have to pass.

Good luck if you decide to go with it ... let us know how it is. :D

REV

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
SA Loaded or TRP. Forget Taurus (junk IMO) and I have a distate for Kimber due to personal experience with their product. Remember, other opinions will be different in each case. Read, compare, make up your own mind. I would pick the TRP, but then, it's not me that's buying. Of course, if I had a choice, it would be Les Baer. Read this link also:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=212127
Sonnytoo

Here is the site you want. You can read what pro's say about 1911's to your heart's content.
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=9171

tdyoung58

Bearcat
2fast4u":3yjt5m84 said:
SA loaded, SA TRP, Kimber Crimson carry, and Taurus PT1911.....

it was hard getting it down to those 4

now comes the really hard part....
my plan is to eliminate one per month till April ( that when i turn 21) that will leave me with my choice ...
so close but yet so far!

Well of those four, I get either the Springfield loaded

Have a Sig C3 that's my new carry

sebtool

Blackhawk
revhigh":nqn8uu0c said:
Let me know what you find out. I don't think I'd buy a frankengun from an unknown company without a personal endorsement from someone who already owned one.

Not only that, it may be a good shooter, but it's ugly, and I hate the arched mainspring housing, ESPECIALLY with a long (and really ugly) trigger like the gun has. If I couldn't shoot it first or hear from somebody who owns one, I think I'd have to pass.

Good luck if you decide to go with it ... let us know how it is. :D

REV

If I do, it will probably be a little while. Granted, it's not as purdy as some - I prefer the lightened triggers and combat style hammers myself - but I'd be willing to be the fit and function are far superior to the Armscors - RIA, some High Standard, old Charles Dalys, etc.
I googled the company, and apparently they make quite a few of the parts, excluding the frame, in house. Should be a good sign, at least in my book. My .02.

The fit and finish on my 'new to me SA' are better than I expected, except for the fit of the trigger and beavertail grip safety. They're pretty sloppy,but this is just 1 example. Sometimes that's how it works when you buy something online without handling it first. I hope to shoot it this weekend, if time permits. We'll see how it performs. :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Good luck ... let us know how it shoots !

I really like my Springfield.

REV

jhearne

Buckeye
Have shot both a Kimber Custom Carry II and SA Loaded. Both are guns I would own given the money wasn't an issue. As for me, my 1911 I want is a SA Mil-Spec....I am always a fan of a bare-bones sorta thing. Least with 1911s there's something for everyone.

Josh

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I have five or six and don't need another right now. And it's not my carry-weapon at this point, although that's just 'cause I move around in my choices. I lean toward Colt; have four. They are all "older," primarily Series 70.
Sonnytoo

revhigh

Hawkeye
Colts were all I had prior to this recent SA. I wanted to 'build' a gun, and I won't modify my Colts.

REV

poncaguy

Bearcat
I.m very pleased with my PT 1911, accurate , no problems. My other 1911 is a RIA 38 Super, which, after new sights and ramp polishing is an excellent 1911.

S&W Fan

Bearcat
I 2nd the going with kimber. I do like SA, and have heard great things about them, but I wanted to support AMERICAN made firearms. Truth is, if you want a great 1911, and can afford it, I'd go with a DAN WESSON. DW's are the finest production 1911's you can own, without spending the money on a custom gun like les bear, or wilson. Dont buy the TAURUS. Iv had a change of heart about taurus, and am beginning to like some of their products, but there 1911's suck. After I bought my kimber, my friend had to have a 1911 too. He ran right out and bought the taurus. Nothing really wrong with it, but you can tell instantly that the quality is far less than the kimber.

DSCN2067.jpg

S&W Fan

Bearcat
Oh and by the way, that kimber there is merely a Kimber Custom II. It Is kimbers cheapest gun, retailed at $719, and sat at the store for a year. I offered the man 600 in cash and he agreed. So far, I installed new sights, and grips, and am pretty happy with it. Even if i had I paid the full 700 for it, It would have been worth getting vs. the taurus for 600. And with SA, their loaded line sucks. You either have to spend little and get one of their great GI models, SUPERBLY made mil spec models, or spend a lot and get an operator or trp. With SA, you either spend 500 bucks, or 1200. All of thier $800 range guns are sooooo prone to problems. hope online and read some reviews on the SA loaded models. besides, the 2 piece guide rods suck to disassemble/clean. If you must have a SA, and you buy the "loaded" line, you will regret in. Sucks too, cause I love the look of their parkerized 1911 with the rosewood grips. Sure is a beauty

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm sure it's possible to find reviews saying good AND bad about any gun, but you are the first to say the loaded line sucks or has problems. I don't have one, but I must say that I've NEVER heard that before.

Can you be more specific please ??

Prone to problems like what ??

I've been considering buying a Stainless Loaded Target in 9MM, and have never heard anything bad at all about the Loadeds in general.

Thanks

REV

taphandle

Bearcat
After going thourh a similiar dilema and doing the research on the 1911 forums, reveiws and company websites I ended up with an SA Loaded SS. I'm quite happy with my decision.

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
A friend I went to Ft Benning with this weekend has a Kimber and Springfield.
He like's both, but dollar for dollar, liked the Springer better.
The Kimber looks fancier and has more of a WOW factor, but Shooting (which is the "real" reason most of us have a pistol), one did not have an advantage over the other.
I "had" a Springer, but like a dumb a**, sold it..., I loved it, great shooter.
The Springers, from what little I have kept up with, I believe are now made in Brazil, whereas, the earlier models were USA.
I also understand the custom Springers are still USA built.
(I may be wrong, if I am, someone can correct me on that one),

Bottom line, both are great guns, pick the one YOU like best, you will not go wrong either way.

Taurus, spoke to many about those and seems to be "hit or miss" (no pun intended:)
You "may" get a great one, however, you "may" also get a piece of crap...,
It was very divided, but what was agreed on was- it is a gamble, it may be good, it may not..., I am Not a gambler, I like a sure thing.

Latest posts